Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

That’s how bad memory acts. It usually doesn’t immediately barf, your computer just runs weird. Inconsistent performance, occasional (but not constant) crashes. It’s annoying.

Definitely try reseating, I would also try different ram slots. You can also give the RAM a bit more voltage and see if that fixes the memtest. But since this is all-new hardware I would RMA it regardless. Be sure to get them to cross-ship so you aren’t without a computer for a couple weeks.

Yeah, I already asked if I can just RMA the ram, just send new sticks, I will send the old ones.

We will see how they respond.

I don’t really feel like fiddling around swapping sticks in and out to see which of the 4 8gb sticks is the bad one

Ahh you have 4 sticks. Well, it could be a bad slot on the motherboard. That’s unlikely though.

That would suck balls.

You could try removing two of the sticks, see if it makes a difference. I’ve read that some boards can have issues when all the RAM slots are populated.

Yeah, I checked the bios on my mobo, and the XMP settings are correct for the RAM.

I think step one will be removing 2 sticks, running memtest. If that passes swap those for the other 2 sticks etc.

Narrow it down.

Memtest found no errors when checking sticks. Did 2 sticks in the a2 b2 slots, then the other 2 sticks individually in the a2 slot.

Question: I am likely this summer getting one. Leaning towards the Alienware Aurora line. Is it worth getting the 3070 over the 3060 ti? I do have a 4k monitor, doubt I’d run a game at that resolution, but do plan on having the computer last a very long time.

I’m not sure it’s worth the ~$200 increase.

I would say so yes, especially if you are not looking at upgrading any time soon. There might be some even better deals by the summer anyway.

2 sticks in, no issues, 4 sticks in, hardware issues.

I snooped around and it is possible that this newish mobo has problems with its XMP profiles. SO I turned off XMP, and we will see if that helps with stability.

Sounds like this is something that ASUS might end up fixing with a bios update.

Have you tried 3 sticks?

I would contact whoever built the thing and tell them you want to cross-ship two 16GB DIMMs because the motherboard they substituted has a known issue with four sticks.

huhuhuhuhuuhhuhuuhhuhuh

Have you tried the same two sticks in both pairs of slots?

This is a new PC, right? Why not just RMA the whole thing and let them deal with it?

Because I don’t want to be new PC-less for 2 months while they fix it.

It is stable with XMP disabled. It is likely an XMP profile setting with the BIOS, I can check to see if I need to flash the bios with an update. I mean, there have been 2 bios releases since I purchased the PC.

I don’t know how it works with pre-built systems. Can you tinker with RAM timings manually without voiding the warranty? You could dial in stable timings that way, may lose a little performance but at least you could play games without crashing.

So, for CyberpowerPC you have to think of them as a builder and parts supplier only. There really isn’t any technical support beyond RMA’s. They make up for this by being stupid cheap. Looking at NZXT and maingear, a PC with similar parts would be 200-400$ more.

It is all standard parts, and most of the support you get will be, “Can you tinker with it on your own?” or “send it back to us”

To get it shipped back to them for a “repair” I will have the pleasure of the shipping costs from my house to their factory in CA. This is not included as part of their warranty, unless you upgrade your warranty for 20 bucks at the time of purchase.

Looking into this issue, i don’t think that this is something that they can fix/is their fault at all, it is ASUS not having figured out a proper XMP profile for the RAM I got, causing instability. Likely a bios update or me tinkering with the settings (voltage etc) will fix it.

I would definitely never suggest anyone who is not tech savvy buying from CyberpowerPC, because their warranty support is nil. Unless you buy a pre-built of theirs from a big-box store, where you can return it there.

It was a risk I took getting this system. Which seems to have been a bit foolish, as basically as soon as I ordered it GPU’s have started to finally become available, though not at the near MSRP price I got it for part of this build. I also have a system I had them build me in 2013 that is still running rock solid to this day. They do a good job for the most part building systems, but if you get a custom built one from them, you take your own risks on compatibility

The nice thing is though, if you are tech savvy, they will do the RMA’s for you and just ship you the parts to refit. When I had an issue with my 2013 build and the powercolor GPU that was a POS that bent and broke, they just shipped me the card and I sent back the broken one in a coffin.

Interesting that their QC checks did not run a memtest diagnostic though. I am sure they boot it, make sure it posts, that everything is connected, and they ship it.

It is a bit frustrating, specifically because they did not ship me the Mobo I ordered due to “supply” constraints. I asked why they didn’t reach out to me to get my blessing (which I would have given) first. ON the support chat I even danced around hoping they would offer me a rebate or something. They do sell PCI usb port expansion cards, and I was hoping my complaint would have them ship me one free of charge. No dice.

I am kicking myself a bit for not splurging on the higher end mobos, and going for the entry level one. But, w/e.

Things appear to be very stable at the moment. If it is a MOBO hardware and not a firmware issue I will scream loudly, as the entire reason I bought a pre-built (aside from getting a GPU for non scalped prices) was to not have to do the mobo/cpu install, which I hate doing because it takes hours, and I am just pretty clumsy in general.

How would you guys rate CyberPower vs. iBuyPower?

Everything I am reading about XMP is leading me to believe that I should just leave it off. Apparently it is really fiddly and people have gotten it only to work after manually setting timings and voltages.

Something to fiddle with some weekend when I got time to kill