Here there be Tower Defense discussion

I’d like a new tower defense fix, but am not finding anything pure TD (ala Defense Grid) that catches my attention. I’m considering games with TD elements, has anyone played Eden Rising: Supremacy?

I stumbled upon this FREE game over on itch.io

It has some interesting ideas. First off the paths are random. You are a witch and there are 4 castles that are sending waves to you. Each path from the castle to your witch tower are different lengths / random paths.

You control the witch, which gives you a bit of extra if it’s on a tower when a creep dies.
This is basically endless mode - you get a life for each wave you finish and a life is taken away for each creep that gets to your tower.
The first few waves are really slow and easy, by wave 10-15 you will be wishing for a pause button.

the author is spanish & his english translations are a bit rough, but you can figure out what needs to be done by doing the tutorial (which is just a bunch of instructions that appear one after another).

I found this game on itch.io:

Mindustry

Looks like a take on a Factorio/Tower Defense combo.

There is a web based demo:

I’m colorblind and the blocks he uses for art are so rough and patternless (for me) that I’ll have to wait until he gets some better art.

It looks compelling and complicated. Reminds me of a more complicated Yorg.io which I adored.

Anyone try this?

It looks interesting. It’s a 3D map, so you have horizontal wall & typical towers. Feedback on their steam forums is sparse. There is a Youtube playthrough of the first few levels here:

Also anyone own this, I only see Tom as having a copy. I foget if he liked it or not.

Tower Defense and Dancing!

I enjoyed the first one, even if it is fairly simple. I haven’t tried 2.

So I got this during the steam sale, been playing it for 5 hours and I feel like I’m playing kindergarten td with so much hand-holding and so many achievements and so many things to do. I remember at the beginning they say “you can just play TD and skip the story but we don’t recommend that” and I’m beginning to think that I need to ignore the story.

The thing is, I’m 5 hours in and still dribbling out characters / abilities and it’s too easy. I’m not sure I like the mechanic of “you only get one spot to place a tower” and then dribbling out new tower placements. I like it when they give me a choice (the tower deployment token that drops), but when the game puts them down for me, I feel like I’m being hand-held.

Does it get any better?

Trying to get all the stars can be very challenging. I don’t remember much about the main campaign, I spent most of my time trying to get all the stars…

Saw this in my suggested queue, I see @BrianRubin mentioned its more of a Tower Defense game?

I tried to play it and had no idea what I was doing.

Anyone else more of a fan of just the tower defense chess gamestyle, without the first person agent?

Nope, if I’m not a character on the battlefield, I get bored to tears.

Speaking of, this is really good you guys.

I just get more bored with the character, I prefer the god approach. I still think Defense Grid is the best TD I’ve played. I had fun with Orcs must Die for awhile, the Van Helsing one, and others, but I stop playing, but I can replay both Defense Grid games over and over.

I prefer just building and maybe using special abilities. I don’t prefer running around with a character. I’ve liked those games too, just not my first choice.

I prefer playing with no character.

Hi all,

I found q2t and this thread thanks to Google. I’m also quite into tower defense (from W3 mods to orc must die or kingdom rush). I recently developed a small game where enemies attack as in tower defense but you defend your place with units and you earn gold from saving civilian building you build on the road.

It’s only a early access/beta version with 10 levels, 3 buildings, 5 units and 5 enemies. It’s free on GameJolt and only playable on PC so far. Any comments or advices are welcome here, in pm or on theGameJolt game page.

Thanks in advance,

NDGD

Looks kinda interesting. Thanks!

My one comment is clarity of units is an issue.

Thanks for this comment. It is a comment some of my friends also made when they tested the game. I’m more of a developer from education, therefore I use 3D models available on Unity Asset Store that I only slightly modify but I’m going to work on this for the next (first) update of the game.