Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Yeah, can’t say I agree with the design decision, TBH. A user should still have the power to decide who they engage with. It’s not as if in practically any other social space you can’t essentially achieve it. Why, on an online forum, should it not be possible?

I’ve never muted a user, but I appreciate the need.

Anyway, I added a link to the CSS workaround in the OP FAQ.

Likes are pretty heavily integrated into Discourse. I’m not sure whether we easily can disable that keyboard shortcut, but I’ll look into it. In the meantime, given that Tom wants them disabled, you’d probably serve yourself well to avoid using the keyboard shortcut.

Really? I wouldn’t think it makes a bit of difference since there is no other public surfacing of the like functionality. Why would Tom care? If a Like gets clicked and no one can hear it, does it really make a sound?

Absolutely – it will be used, in part, to calculate what a “top post” is in that view, among other things. It also affects what appears in suggested topics, if I’m not mistaken.

Don’t forget that for long topics, you can click the Summarize in the first post which will, huh, filter out key posts for you to read, the key post being determined by the Likes. Useful if you want to start catching up on some long running topics but does not want to read hundreds of pages.

So, the one thing that Tom absolutely, and a lot of us other users, does not want, is “heavily integrated” into the software, and you are unsure whether it can be removed?

That, with no ignore feature, which wasn’t something anyone said anything about either, or the fact that there is no themes, and its almost impossible to mark a forum as read (Ive tried three times now) makes this very difficult for me to use at all.

Give it time @Razgon. Sure Discourse has its warts but it has beautiful features too such as ease to quote, speed & snappiness, mobile works out of the box, bookmarks, notifications, paste images in memory with just ctrl-V, etc. Surely these sexy new stuff is attractive in itself?

I’ll conduct some testing and advise. Chrome with six or so extensions, fwiw.

Fishbreath’s “pseudo-ignore”, implemented via Stylish, is imo even better than vbulletin’s ignore, in terms of permanence* and elegance.** I don’t have time to write up a HOWTO right away, but hopefully early next week, for those of you still working out Stylish.

*you don’t have the option of viewing the ignored post. Yes, it’s less choice. But if you’re ignoring the person, it’s because the poster will upset you. The Discourse pseudo solution forces you NOT to pick at that scab.

**Instead of a generic message the post is grayed out, like the Discourse spoiler tag. Really aesthetically pleasing.

Great, I asked Clay or Fishbreath if they could do it, but it they don’t get to it, drop your instructions in this thread, which I linked in the OP FAQ for those looking for an ignore workaround.

I’d be very grateful for that, thanks. I don’t know what Stylish is, I don’t know what CSS is, and the last time I typed anything code-like anywhere was in BASIC in the mid-80s.

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
20 GOTO 10

Oh yeah, baby!

You can, actually, by highlighting the text, but it’s true that there isn’t a button.

There’s a quick user CSS howto in the user CSS library thread now, too.

Ok @wumpus. With all extensions in Chrome (51.0.2704.103 m (64-bit)) disabled and a fresh install of Firefox (45.0.2), I am getting the same behavior, as detailed below.

New unread topic notification comes in. Note I have read the Grognard thread (among others) but not yet refreshed this page:

Click on the blue unread notification bar and get this:

There has been no change to the Grognard thread and I have read it, so it should not be here in unread at all, but it is, with the same notifications.

Conversely, if I get another new message:

But instead this time click on the Unread header (not the blue notification bar), I get the following:

Grognard thread is correctly dismissed from the page, but the notification bar is not dismissed.

I get this same behavior in Latest, with the difference being the read thread remains in the list, obviously, it just moves further down the timeline but is either bolded and not marked read (notification bar refresh), or is unbolded (Latest header refresh) but the notification bar is not dismissed.

If this is happening to others, I can see why there would be some frustrations about not really being able to track what you have read and what you have not. It’s bugging me a little.

Thoughts?

I’m not sure why you’re pointing your finger at me. I am just helping try to mod and style Discourse to meet most people’s needs. I didn’t make the decision to migrate to it and I don’t make business decisions for Tom or anybody else involved. I’m helping, without pay, because I like the community. If it annoys you so much, why don’t you try to help fix it instead of continuing to complain?

How the heck am I supposed to change what discourse can and cannot do? I am complaining because these things, that every other forum software has, isn’t here. But yeah, it’s probably easier if I stopped making noise and complain and just left.

No, no, make the noise. It’s only been a few days and there are still some kinks to work out. Just direct it with a little less ire, give the forum time to settle and list the complaints/suggestions in the appropriate place, where it can be discussed and addressed by Tom and Co in due course. At the moment I guess they are likely pre-occupied getting the front page connected.

Which is what I am sure Clay means by ‘help’, as opposed to him expecting you to be able to get blood from a wumpus stone by yourself. ;)

Thank you for this! Very helpful.

Finally someone feels my pain.

Welcome, brother.

Ah, would that I could pay you both with all the likes in the world. /sigh