Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I am wondering if there should be a new category for the all the games that are running (like Star Realms etc). I ask because with the muting feature they may not appear in a lot of people’s Discourse setup anymore and personally I would like to be able to find them in a category.

They never bothered me in the old forum but if a new person joins they could unknowingly mute the threads and never know they exist.

How would someone mute them without being aware of them first? I don’t think I understand what you’re asking.

I accidently muted some threads when I was on the test server when I was was trying to learn how everything worked.

I was just thinking that learning how dynamic Discourse is as opposed to old forums would it make sense at this point to put them in their own Category. With the endless scrolling seeing all the games offered at once would be nice.Probably just my age because as i go down the Game Category it never ends and can be a bit harder to locate stuff.

Don’t forget that you can bookmark threads and then find a list of the ones you’ve bookmarked in your profile.

Serious Discourse question. Is there a replacement for Vbulletin page numbers for a thread?

Often I’ll want to go back a few days in the discussion to look for a post. With Vbulletin I could say its about 3 or 4 pages back and start looking. With the Discourse, I’m finding it very hard to use the scroll bar, because how far a few days varies greatly on say the Presidential 2016 thread, vs a Hearts of Iron thread.

No, there isn’t. The timeline is the closest approximation.

You can also bookmark a post you think is worth going back to and go back to the bookmark later.

Finally, the search is a lot more refined and accurate in Discourse. So you can also look within the thread for a certain poster or keywords.

Wendelius

The scrollbar is the “answer” to your question, but I do feel that its current implementation (relatively short, with little indication of posting “heat” or temporal proximity) makes it ill-suited for Qt3’s largest threads. Of course, alongside the actual performance limitations that crop up around extremely long threads in Discourse (10K+ posts), it might just be that we become used to cutting threads off a little earlier and moving the discussion quicker.

Press the ? key and use the jump to specific post keyboard shortcut.

Search is just so much better on Discourse that you will almost certainly find it fills this need. Just hit the search button and tick ‘search this thread’ box. You can also search by user by adding @user to the search field or alternatively clicking their avatar and selecting the ‘filter posts’ button.

If you want to get rid of the avatar column on the left of posts, add the following ublock origin rule (right click on the avatar, block element, then replace weird rule with the following):

##.row > .topic-avatar

Getting rid of most avatar pictures where the name is mentioned:

##.avatar

Get rid of the post counts that are left behind from avatars:

##.avatars .post-count

How do I search a page in discourse?

I scrolled down and down and down, and past something. Then I went control-f and it gave me some discourse search functionality which churned away for a while. Eventually I hit escape and cancelled that, and chose find from the chrome menu and it just jumped to the text/post I had passed with the normal way searching works in a browser.

Can control-f be unbound from the forum search? I see it’s already bound to / in the keyboard shortcuts, so it’d make the site more usable to leave normal page search to the browser.

Hit ctrl-f a second time to dismiss the Discourse hijack and initiate browser search instead. Keep in mind that Discourse by its nature purges stuff you have scrolled past at some point, so you won’t find something you read 150 posts ago in browser search.

Was there ever an answer to this? The “unread posts” feature of vbulletin was pretty key for me, too, and the options suggested herein (redefining “new”, etc.) don’t really imitate this feature well. Does anyone have a way to imitate the old “unread posts” function?

Hey folk, just a reminder that the OP is a wiki post FAQ. Anyone can edit it, so if you have a handy tip, please add it to the list for easier future reference.

Make sure you click the checkbox to scope the search to the current topic; sounds like you didn’t because a global search would certainly be much slower than a topic scoped search.

Where is the QT3 archive? I made a list of Steam Summer sale games and wanted to post a thanks for the selection help. But I Can’t find it.

Perfect. Never would have guessed, but it solves the problem.

That is selected by default.

In the OP - Quarter To Three Forums - Qt3 Forums

There does not seem to be an ignore function in Discourse? Am I missing something?