Highfleet (Microprose!) has a super cool interface

You buy munitions for planes in the supply shop, and then when you go to launch the plane, you click on the munition to choose a plane with that type of weapon.

I find, for the targets i like to use air strikes on, bombs to be the best choice.

Sounds like today’s hotfix might have fixed this.

I eventually just left and went to another nearby city. I guess I had enough fuel for that, at least.

This is from a steam thread, hot take (but more or less accurate) on current game play, or off the reservation no idea wtf he’s banging on about?

The way the game is designed right now, the easiest way to play is to ignore all the cool strategy stuff - missiles are too easy to shoot down, it takes too long to triangulate enemy fleets, replenishing ammo is too expensive, you spend tons of money on fuel and waste precious time flying around, and at the end of it all after killing a fleet with planes, missiles, and smart play you get no reward for it.

Meanwhile if you play the way the game isn’t intended to be played - as you said, with brute force; ignore radar, ignore elint, ignore radio. Don’t care about being spotted. Fly from city to city with an armored brick, kill enemy, more enemy comes to you. Kill more enemy. Be rewarded with loot from every fight. Cycle out damaged brick for backup brick if you get overwhelmed. Don’t think or strategize just kill everything with brick.

That ends up being the most efficient and effective way to play. The game expressly rewards playing that way and punished trying to play smart.

It’s just how it is right now. Hopefully the devs rebalance and adjust things. The cat and mouse side of things is interesting and fun but its not rewarding."

I guess you have to build an armored brick first. I have not tried this approach.

Good for them. No idea how they can afford all the repair bills, money is a big constraint in this game.

just discovered this thread… brain is frozen on the phrase: MICROPROSE IS BACK???

side note: circa 1990 I used to get confused between Microsoft and Microprose, which was which.

Aw, jeez, on top of everything else, there’s a campaign timer! Not only is it now “getting colder,” thanks (apparently?) to some nuclear dust cloud (oh, yeah, sure, it was me who started the nuclear war when I launched that missile), also the strike fleets are being recalled to Khiva, so I have to get there before them.

Bah, just had a run end within spitting distance of Khiva because the blue circle, until this point in the game an inviolate indicator of the fleet’s range, actually started shrinking in flight and I underestimated how much fuel I would need. Bah!

I was super stoked to get an Archangel with the initial tarkhan ally (poor guy, you’d think I could remember his name. Omar…Khan?) this campaign only to lose it in a totally freak encounter with a strike group (couldn’t avoid it because I had nowhere else to go, fuel-wise) like ten minutes later. I did win against the strike group, though, largely because of the missile barrage I sent before hitting them, and my second-line ship, a Gladiator with an extra AK-100 we found laying around, sustained only superficial damage.

I had tried a tactic of sending out a lone little Lightning as an independent raider, but it ran into two damn transport convoys almost right out of the gate. It took the first but the second was too much. When it rains, it pours.

Yeah, this game claims to reward stealth but in reality it really doesn’t. Might makes right every time.

I’m not sure. This game has generated a lot of high quality discussion on the steam forums (take that, Lego!), and most of the time people who seem to know what they’re about advocate that stealth because while might may make right it’s pretty tough to have that might and sustain it over the course of the campaign. Mostly they say to hide from the SGs and pummel them with missiles and bombs from afar.

More people here should be playing this.

Do failed runs make you stronger permanently? Or do you just get more cash for the next run only?

As far as I know the bonus cash from the previous run counts toward the next run only. But I think that’s fine; you’d have to be playing like an absolute pudding to not have that work in your favour.

In my experience it kind of snowballs, although the run where I almost made it to Khiva I got nothing for my next one. Probably a bug.

Steam review say this game is pretty hard. Is there a difficulty level setting?

You can choose between normal and hard, and normal is quite difficult enough in my opinion.

If you read through the thread you’ll get a feel for how brutal the combat can be. I wouldn’t say the challenge is insurmountable, but it certainly is a challenge. Combat can be made a lot easier if you prepare well enough for it (and don’t get unlucky).

The combat can be very tough, it really depends. The game is much more a survival game than an action game, though. Imagine Oregon Trail if you had to keep track of fodder for your oxen and there were Native American war parties hunting you.

Is there an undo in the shipworks? I accidentally clicked a ship component. Notvwanting to put it back wrong since I have no idea yet how to use the shipworks I exited the screen. Back on the cityscape I was still holding the component. Clicking caused it to drop into the cityscape and it’s gone. WTF?

Oh, the campaign shipworks? Yes, I think the undo button sort of bottom right in the row of three buttons (I think it’s in the middle, between the repair wrench and cancel x) undoes everything you’ve done in the shipworks. There’s no “undo one step” button, though. The rest of what you’ve described sounds like a bug, which are unfortunately plentiful if none of them game breaking. Sounds like they’re busily fixing stuff and I’ve gotten several silent updates.