Hitman III - Hat trick of Death

Yes, I was really disappointed with HITMAN 3. I’m glad I played it on Gamepass.

That last level was absolutely terrible.

Surprisingly, when I think back at the hitman trilogy my three favourite levels that immediately come to mind are smaller ones that have really cool themes:

• The Hokkaido resort in Hitman 1
  • The Bank in the Hitman 2 DLC
  • The island resort again in the Hitman 2 DLC

They’re just more fun to sandbox in than the large city levels.

Hokkaido, Paris, Italy, Miami, and the New York bank heist were the standouts for me. The Maldives was also good, and I am also a sucker for residential maps.

Hitman is at it’s best when it feels like an assassination vacation. Take in the sights and sounds. Enjoy some R&R. Then kill your mark.

I liked 3 a lot, but yeah, it’s MOTS. Not much really to say other than that.

@roguefrog is right about that last level, though. Woof.

Yeah, that final level is the very antithesis of a Hitman level. You really never want to do that thing again.

I… I liked the final level? As something different?

Hitman 3 has Berlin (probably my favorite of all levels in any of the games) and Chongqing, both of which rank amongst the best levels. Mendoza is also a great setting, but could use a couple of more exits.

Apparently this level takes place between the events of Hitman 2 and Hitman 3.

Also the base game is 66% off on Humble.

I grabbed it. ;)

Sweet!

Easily one of the best games of the decade if not more. If you haven’t played it yet… What is wrong with you? ;)

I finally grabbed it too. Should likely dive in.

The new FREE map is out.

It’s more of the same. In fact I’m pretty sure they re-used a lot of assets from other maps and there is a lot of sameness to it. Tropical island with shanty town. A secret lab in a cave system. Hippies in the jungle, etc.

The more interesting thing is the mission takes place before the final mission in Hitman 2 so it almost feels like cut content being re-added.

Yeah, I wasn’t super impressed with the map. It feels like a mash-up of Santa Fortuna and and Sapienza. I did kind of like that there aren’t any mission stories, so you just figure out how to do your killing and get on with it. Took me a couple of hours to get SA and I never got to explore the pirate base yet. I’ll do a couple more runs of it.

Weirdly it’s only available by selecting “Destinations” in the main screen. It’s the only non-sniper level in the game apparently not attached to a particular Campaign category.

Seems like a UI oversight. They could stick in the correct slot in the HITMAN 2 campaign after killing Janus. The mission just being a side quest / favor for the shadow client (forget his name) and since it is so similar to other missions I could see why they probably cut it.

The GPS device to call in a helicopter mission exit is just so weird. There’s already like 4 exits + 2 extra via this one-off mission mechanic.

All I really want is more Sniper Assassin mode maps. They just recycled the three from Hitman 2, I thought they would have added more.

I’m attacking the backlog again.

But before going for Hitman 3, I like to do things in the proper order. That meant playing the DLC for Hitman 2 that I never touched, years after buying it.

The bank level was meh. By itself it wasn’t bad if I were to compare it with other video games, but in comparison with the highlights of the Hitman trilogy… I actually would have to place it as below average.

The Maldivas resort is much better. Bigger level, fairly ‘wide’ in layout without overly restrictive movement, with more targets, with a good sniping oportunity, lots of accidents to setup, food to poison, special ways to kill two or even the three of them together, more unique disguises to give you unique ways to do it, cool items like fish you can trap or a starfish, to melee targets with, etc

I actually have to still play the Sniper Assassin maps, too.

Finally.

I’m actually tempted now to snag it before the steam sale ends, where before I had no intention of navigating their cluster fuck of purchase options.

Yeah. I had the main 3 games of content on Epic, but I’d rather play it elsewhere. This is also on sale on PS4/PS5 which I may grab instead of the Steam version for $7 more:

Went through the options as an owner of Hitman 3 base (Epic) + all the Hitman 1+2 content (imported from Steam):

• Hitman 3 Deluxe content (mainly 2 escalations) will be $10 (currently $35 no sale on Epic)
  • Hitman 3 Deadly Sins Collection will be $10 (currently $30 no sale on Epic)
  • I already have the Hitman 2 Expansion Access Pass but that would also be $10 (listed at $40 no sale on Epic)

So for me, I should definitely wait till the new packs appear.

I was hoping this was news of more World of Assassination content rather than a rebrand, but hopefully Freelancer mode is almost here…

Edit: Also, I noticed that the Hitman 1 GOTY access pass is currently listed as “Free” if anyone doesn’t have it from the previous giveaway - I already have it though so it could be some Epic game store glitch (or maybe it’s always free? If you own Hitman 3?).

This news is very timely, glad you shared it. I was considering picking up Hitman 2 or 3 (I have 1) during the Steam sale, but I noped out after trying to decipher the buying options on the Hitman 3 store page.

Based on this announcement, it looks like it is probably worth picking up Hitman 3 on sale now for $20.99 so it will morph into their new WoA platform. I can wait on the new Deluxe pack for when and if I actually complete the basic content.