Hogwarts Legacy - WB makes a full AAA RPG for Harry Potter

Oh. I stand corrected then. Thanks.

Woah. The makers of Prince of Persia 3D. The one Prince of Persia game I never played because it was so poorly reviewed.

I do like the concept of a Hogwarts game set in the late 1800s.

I hope the game uses the school year. Bully used that to a degree, but with the Harry Potter books, I just love that each book is structured around the school year, each time starting in the summer break, and then the Fall, winter and then spring time periods. The game could do that four times if it’s set over a 4 year period too.

Since the post was from a PS5 showcase, I had to check to make sure that this wasn’t exclusive - it isn’t

No gameplay in that trailer and lack of single protagonist or visible party kind of confuses me. What makes this an RPG?

Also, Hogwarts Legacy makes me think of HPV.

Yikes, I’m so glad you clarified that, Soren. I totally had the other Avalanche in mind as well.

Yeah, me too, Yak. The sense I get from the trailer is that it’s basically an MMO. I mean, there are worse settings for an MMO, I suppose. But I guess in this one, everyone has to be the same class. You can’t very well have clerics and thiefs and paladins getting their training from a wizard school.

Welp, now that I’ve heard that, it’s not going away any time soon. Thanks for planting that in my brain, Rothda! :\

-Tom

Well, they could pretty easily make the four houses into four different classes. As to how they’d be different, uh, well, we could only speculate at this point.

Cleric, traditional wiz, summoner, necro. Could do something like that, summoner is basically the tank class. I think you could pretty easily make a casting class into a rogue as well, hide in shadows, pick locks, all that stuff could be magic based and already has examples in the books/movies.

I’d do something like…

House 1: Druid (potions and healing), Warden (some healing, conjure hammer?)
House 2: Damage Wizard, Enchanter (crowd control and magic buffs)
House 3: Defensive summoner with tank class buffs, Offensive summoner with attack buffs and glass cannon pets.
House 4: Necro, Magic based rogue.

Wow, this MMO talk is making me completely lose interest in this game. In the trailer what parts hinted at this kind of game? It looked like an action adventure game to me.

It’s single player according to the FAQ for the game. Not an MMO.

Q: Is Hogwarts Legacy an original story?

A: Hogwarts Legacy is an open-world, single-player, action role-playing videogame (RPG) set in the 1800s wizarding world. The story has players experiencing life as a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry like never before, as they live the unwritten and embark on a dangerous journey to uncover a hidden truth of the wizarding world.

Pretty early on but if this is basically Bully at Hogwarts I’m in.

Interesting that the FAQ specifically calls out how little involvement JK had with the game.

Again, no mention of any protagonist confuses me. I’m guessing narrative will be weak. But they don’t talk much about systems either.

Which leaves exploration. Not sure which looks better though: exploration in this game or the Hogwarts Minecraft mod.

Perhaps the plot is desperately trying to align historical events in the late nineteenth century that ripple through time to produce a state of affairs in the twenty-first century where JK Rowling never gains access to Twitter…

I think you create your character. It’s not a fixed protagonist.

Wow, that is not an impressive resume.

This trailer had me squeal in excitement as I haven’t done since… I don’t even know.
To get to play as a student at Hogwarts? Exploring the surroundings? Attend classes? All the great graphics? ARE YOU KIDDING ME! This is a dream I’ve had since I first read the books back in my teens. Sheesh to actually finally get to do that, and without annoying Hermoine or Ron being in there.

Hahahah. I liked Ron and Hermoine. But I guess that does bring up the question of whether or not they’ll have friend characters for you to interact with in the game. Hopefully they won’t be as nasty as the “friends” in Bully.