Holiday 2020 Stusserbeast recommendation?

I managed to get it working with pulling a stick of RAM and fiddling with slots. We’ll see if a new set of RAM works or whether the motherboard is cranky in some exciting way. Thanks!

I thought you had already tried that? Anyway read your motherboard manual and be sure to use the correct slots. Usually A2 and B2 for two sticks.

If one of the sticks works and the other doesn’t, well, there’s your problem.

I did. Didn’t work the first time, but I think I may have swapped them in and out to a slot that doesn’t work with a single module. Bought new RAM today, and the box doesn’t boot with the new RAM. Sometimes it gets me to the BIOS screen, but never Windows. Need to dig a little further.

My guess is the PSU or its cables.

Checked and re-fastened all the PSU connections. No good. Weirdly can’t update the motherboard bios, which I figured was worth a try.

Sometimes I think we made a mistake teaching rocks to think.

I did exactly what you recommended. Had some Amazon gift cards from Christmas, so for maybe $100 out of pocket I went from a 6th gen 4c/4t i5 to a 10th gen 6c/12t i5. Quick motherboard and CPU switch made for a fun project this weekend.

Would it be crazy to buy a Dell for $1,800? 10700 proc, 3070 GPU, 16Gb, etc. I’m leery of the 500w case, that seems pretty sparse these days, but for being semi-in stock it seems like the best bet for actually buying a system if you don’t have access to Microcenter. This combo, maybe with another 32Gb of RAM, seems like it would last 3-4 years or longer with a GPU upgrade down the road. My 1080 GTX is finally letting me down.

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/721r

But then over at IBuyPower they have the daily AMD deal:

• Windows 10 Home
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 8GB
  • 16GB DDR4-3000MHz RAM
  • ASRock B550 PRO 4 MB
  • 500GB WD M.2 NVMe SSD

for $1,350.

Looking at Tom’s Hardware GPU heirarchy, the 3060 Ti comes in at 69%, the 3070 at 76% of the 3090’s 100%. Would the 3060 Ti have good legs into the future? The CPU looks fairly down the charts, too.

Nice! That should run trouble-free, none of the pain in the ass I’m dealing with on Ryzen. And you can actually buy it.

The $1800 dell does not seem like a good deal, no. The iBuyPower one is better but still a bit overpriced. They had this deal on Jan 10th, 9 days ago.

And this deal was available Jan 14th.

Basically, sign up then set alerts on Slickdeals.net for “3070”, “3060ti”, and “gaming desktop” and they’ll email you all the deals as they pop up.

For dark age folks at 1080p, how does this change your recommendation if at all?

Not at all unless you’re into esports and want to run games at 240fps.

That was my guess, just making sure the ‘at 1440p’ didn’t have hidden meaning. Thanks!

I thought this would be a good deal:

Intel Core i7 10700 2.9GHz/4.8GHz Processor (10th Gen)
512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Solid State Drive + 2TB HDD (7200 RPM)
16GB (16x1) DDR4 (2933MHz)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 GPU’
460W Bronze Chassis TPM
WiFi (802.11bgn 1x1) w/ Bluetooth
Dell Wired Keyboard + Mouse
CD ROM/DVD ROM (reads + write to DVD/CD)
Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit

And it kinda is, but looking at the charts my 1080 GTX is still faster than the 2060. Man I was lucky to pick this card up four years ago! They really overprovisioned it when it’s beating 1/2 and full generation cards later.

I probably wouldn’t buy a 2060 as an enthusiast gamer in 2021 unless it was an outstanding deal. I wouldn’t buy anything under a 3060ti or 5600XT, really. And without DLSS or RT the 5700XT is marginal at best.

It’s just convinced me to wait for a 3080, if it has the same legs as the 1080 I’ll be a happy lad.

Basically, you don’t really want to buy anything slower than current-gen consoles, which offer basically RTX2080/RTX3060ti/5700XT-class performance. The 5700XT is marginal because it doesn’t offer ray-tracing which next-gen consoles do have, so you won’t get a console-equivalent experience with it.

The 3070 is the best value. It’ll definitely last you 5 years at 1440p. If you want to game at 4k the 3080 is better, but it’s marginal at 4k without DLSS. That said if you don’t mind the extra cost and more importantly can find it in stock, go for it.

I’m 48, so 4k eyes are a thing of the past. We’ll see what frees up first, but honestly as much as I use my home computer a few hundred extra amortizes well.

Yes it depends on your price sensitivity. That’s why I have a 5950X and a 3080 (in a week, when my RMA returns, anyway).

Dell has announced this over a week ago and I keep looking at it. It really is a great price compared to similar components in other sales currently. $1200 for a Ryzen 3700X and a RTX 3070. The deal finally goes live todaytomorrow (2/11) at 4pm Eastern/3pm Central.

Dell Aurora Ryzen Edition.

But that small form factor. Oi. I bet it’s almost impossible to switch out components easily.

Really nice looking deal, but agreed on the SFF feelings; gimme a big case to work in every time, lol

$700 for a 3700X with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD seems like a not great deal, but of course you can’t buy a 3070 for MSRP elsewhere so it may make sense. I agree you probably won’t be upgrading that SFF build, and it might be loud too.