Holiday Sale Damage Thread

I’ve got Total Warhammer 2 in the cart at Fanatical, for $17, and there’s a 95% chance I’ll buy it tomorrow. I wonder if the two “mystery keys” are worth it… (Probably not.)

So far:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (origin)
Resident Evil 2 (Remake) (GMG)
Heroes VII Complete (Steam)
Forza Horizon 4 Lego expansion (Xbox)
Shadow of the Colussus Remaster (PS4)
Wipeout Omega Collection (PS4)
Dad of War (PS4)
Waterpik (Amazon) - wait, this isn’t a game, it’s teeth peripheral.
Xbox One Recon Controller (Amazon) - again, not a game, but at least it’s a game peripheral.
Amazon Prime month (Mrs Maisal - Squeeeeee) + Nick Hits (Avatar: The Last Airbender Seasons 2 and 3 + Legend of Korra if I have time).

I’m not as optimistic as @BrianRubin about being able to resist the Christmas/New Year’s sales though. I bet I’ll add to my backlog in that one too.

3 months of XBox Game Pass Ultimate ($25 CAD, half price)
Civ VI Gathering Storm ($20ish from Fanatical)
Street Fighter V Champion Edition Upgrade Kit Bundle ($33 CAD from Steam)
Hitman 2 Gold ($20ish from Fanatical)
Metro Exodus ($20ish from Epic)
SimCity 3000 Unlimited ($3?ish from GOG)
Knights and Bikes (from GOG)

Hmm ok… I did end up getting a few Steam games!

Aragami Collector’s Edition
Salt and Sanctuary
Golem
Hero of the Kingdom III
Jurassic World Evolution Deluxe

XCOM 2 collection (for $21 dollars, now THATS a sale)

Thea 2 ( I refunded thea 1 when it came out after 45 minutes of play time…it had the interface from hell…lets hope 2 is better)

All I ended up nabbing over the long sale week/weekend was that deal on HOMM VII complete on Steam. I did get State of Decay : Year One Survival Edition for free as a reward for owning the original and holding out for a $5 or less sale (that never happened) on YOSE. Looks like I’m not the only one either judging from the amount of YOSE adds in my Steam friends activity feeds. I actually started playing it last week, and now I’m totally hooked all over again.

I gave serious thought to making several purchases at several different digital retailers, but in the end I kept talking myself out of them with a combination of:

• Winter/Holiday Sales are coming
  • You need to play more backlog games first
  • That looks like a prime Humble Monthly or other Bundle candidate

That’s not to say I did not do my part for the economy over the weekend though. I dropped $380 at NewEgg on long overdue hardware upgrades which will become my Christmas presents from my wife and kids. =) They had a monster deal on a Ryzen 7 2700X for only $160 (that’s an $80+ discount), and I got a nice MSI mobo and some GSkillz Ripjaws RAM and a CoolerMaster 212 EVO heatsink/fan to round it all out. Plus the Ryzen came with 3 months of Xbox Gaming Pass AND a free copy of Outer Worlds.

Picked up:

• 2 Steam controllers (one for my son, one for me)
  • Finished my GalCiv III DLC (didn’t have Retribution)
  • Citystate
  • Hyper Knights & Battles DLC
  • Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions DLC
  • Aragami collector’s edition & Knightfall DLC

edit - oh, I also pre-ordered the DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2: The Shadow & The Blade, but that wasn’t really a part of the sale so much as me being me.

I was wondering why everyone is buying State of Decay. Aragami was fun, really liked it.

Grabbed a bit more from steam:

• Antagonist
  • Batman Enemy Within
  • Date Warp
  • Don’t Give Up
  • Glass Masquerade dlc
  • Hexcells collection
  • Sceptic’s Guide to Magic
  • Skylar and Plux’s Adventure
  • Snowball

I’m still gaming on 300$ Acer & 100$ Lenovo ideapad toasters. Flashy computer games can wait until I work through my backlog of old/indie stuff. :)

I just finished Labyrinth of Refrain. The story is so good. I cried. The dungeon crawly bits could be somewhat hard at times till you figure out the trick. The different dungeons have varied mechanics and feel different.

Ok, now that Steam’s sale is out there, I made my first purchases.

PSN: Nothing. This was a really poor sale. Most of my wishlist is not even on sale, like Gran Turismo 7, for example. Thank you Sony, for keeping my wallet safe.

Xbox:
Mass Effect Legendary Edition $6
Star Trek: Resurgence $24
Horace $6
Time on Frog Island $8
Subnautica $10
NieR: Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition $16
Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster $20
Total: $89

Epic Game Store:
Returnal $27 - I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but probably tonight or this weekend

Humble/GoG:
Very tempted by the RPG bundle for $12.

• Wasteland 3 : Colorado Collection
  • Greedfall : Gold Edition
  • Darksiders 3 : Deluxe Edition
  • Kingdom Come : Deliverance
  • Elex
  • Thronebreaker : The Witcher Tales
  • Vampyr

Maybe a new thread? The 2023 holiday sale damage thread? Just seems weird to necro this…

Why? It has a perfect name. It’s appropriate for a necro every holiday season. In fact, I was going through some of the earlier posts and thinking, hey, I should add that to my wishlist.

Edit: Especially the 2019 portion of the thread. Lots of gold to be mined there.

For me so far, only Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales from the EGS with 33% off (which if anyone is curious came to $20.09 sans sales tax because we don’t have that nonsense in Oregon, may it ever be so). Considering other stuff (maybe AC: Mirage and the Phantom Liberty DLC for Cyberpunk 2077) but we’ll see.

No damage done, YET, but I have plenty sitting in my cart;

• Jagged Alliance 3 bundle: $32.86 (34% off)
  • Waves of Steel: $9.99 (50% off)
  • Sea of Stars: $27.99 (20% off)
  • Shadow Gambit complete ed.: $60.64 (29% off)

plus some various bits of DLC

Well, cause if you’ve never read it before it plops you in at the beginning and you start reading about stuff that’s 6 years old. Then after a bit, you slowly clue in and realize the bulk of this is not relevant to you now and you scroll past it to get to the one post you do actually want to read.

Anyways, guess its done now…

Got my Choo Choo charles. Initial impressions, nice atmosphere, not so great gameplay…

Do they have Good and Plenty in the game? ; )

Does the Age of Empires Bundle Count? If so, that and the DLC for Titan Quest have been the only damage I’ve taken so far.

Not too tempted by anything on my wishlist so far. Same old discounts for ATS DLC, most of the rest is still in EA or not even dated yet. May finally bite on Lego Bricktales, but I’m in no rush to play it and it’s always heavily discounted.

I am looking at Mind over Magic (EA) and maybe Wizardry: Proving Grounds (but I think I rather play a later game than the first). Also looking over The Last Starship but it looks like it isnt ready for prime time.

I did buy Master of Magic on Epic with the sale and 33% Coupon,