Holy crap! This is the best salsa!

Yep I’m finally revealing myself as a viral marketer.

But it’s for a good cause. This is seriously the best salsa I’ve ever tasted. My grocery store only carried the mild and medium versions and I went for the medium thinking I could handle it. The salsa smells awful and tastes amazing. And it’s fucking hot. I have sweat on my forehead as I’m typing this. It’s like a lesson in pain management.

http://www.elpinto.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=5

I’m not into the whole “pain from salsa” bit. I like it hot, but not so much that it overrides all taste for several hours.

You’ll never clear your sinuses with that attitude, mister!

I like a salsa that lets me enjoy about 10 teaspoon-sized dips to enjoy the flavor until the burning starts.

Do they have a mild version?

Also, do they have a medium version?

The first pic said it was “medium”. But “MEdium” for them might “mouth full of acid” for us.

http://www.greenmountaingringo.com/salsa.html

Terribly sorry, but this is the best salsa ever.

They had both at my grocery store. The medium version is the one that reduced me to tears. I can’t imagine what a hot version would be like.

Bottled salsa is for people that can’t throw a rock in a random direction and hit a Mexican restaurant. Fresh salsa always wins. The only problem here is that the cuisine doesn’t mix up pepper varieties much; a good Habanero has a unique flavor, a drier, “paprika-ish” flavor that Jalapeño chilis just lack.

Their chips are pretty good but that salsa sucks, as a totally factual and in no way opinion-based counterpoint.

Everyone knows that this is the best salsa.

You sir, are showing that you’re from Boston.

And my salsa is the best salsa, sometimes, because it’s never the same salsa twice.

How dare you. I’m from the midwest, sir! I’m just trolling.

Anyway (and I’m shocked Marcus didn’t say this) everyone knows that the best salsa is the salsa you make. None of this stuff in jars anyone has mentioned so far is better than even just some diced tomatoes, onions and a can of rotel.

You were making salsa there until you threw in the can of Rotel. If you’re putting canned anything in your homemade salsa, you might as well buy something in a jar.

Since no one asked:

Some mixture of 2-4 fresh tomatoes, depending on the size. Whatever you can get locally is probably best.
2-4 habaneros
6 Serranos (While I am partial to the Piss Christ, you’re probably better sticking with peppers here)
6 Jalapenos
1-2 Anaheim or New Mexican Green Chiles
1 Head of garlic

Dry roast everything except the garlic in a heavy skillet until the skins begin to blister and peel, making sure to turn often. Remove the skins and seeds from everything, taking care not to touch your eyes or your penis until you’ve washed your hands very thoroughly. Throw the skinned, de-seeded tomatoes and chiles in a blender along with the garlic and blend until smooth.

The above salsa makes for a hot, tasty salsa with a wonderful depth of flavor, although those that live in the southwest can end up making this lethally hot, so beware.

I agree with Alton Brown that grocery tomatoes are flavorless. If you can’t get fresh garden tomatoes or make a lot of salsa, then canned tomatoes is the way to go. Every other ingredient should be fresh though.

I prefer a pico de gallo style, with lime juice and cilantro, not so much garlic. Onions, tiohn, don’t leave out the onions!

Yes, I agree.

The word ‘just’ was added in to specify that even that low-rent a combination is better than anything in a jar. It was by no means my secret recipe for awesome fresh salsa.