Homefront The Revolution

WNO is more polished and linear. HTR is more open and emergent.

I changed plans and I’m actually redownloading Shadow of Mordor. I’ll save Homefront for later, I guess. More in the mood for swords than gunplay.

Sorry about that. I’m weird.

meeeeeeeeh

Couldn’t stand SoM. But then I hate everything LOTR related.

I’m terrible with Arkham-style combat, which is why I too did not click with SoM. It seemed like a great game, but gimme guns or spells.

I started playing Homefront by doing The Voice of Freedom DLC. I’d say it had very good atmosphere and the gameplay was good too. It felt like a standard 1st person shooter, but well done. I had trouble taking out the armored car in the gang’s area before I figured out a good approach. I liked the mix of some stealth and typical FPS firefights. I know the main game is supposed to be more open, but the DLC gave a me a good feeling about the game.

So far I’m pretty happy with my purchase of this. I enjoy it more than the typical Far Cry / UBI formula of taking over territory. It’s strength for me is definitely the atmosphere, the feeling of being part of a movement, and the way the city responds to your progress of winning the hearts and minds of the people.

As far as the action goes, it is a pretty typical shooter - which isn’t to say bad, but that part is nothing special. I’m enjoying the story even though it is pretty far fetched.

My biggest complaint is how easy it is to just run though the enemies. It’s not difficult to cause your mayhem and then just run like crazy to get away. It also seems like the enemy just materializes out of nowhere at times.

I just finished the game and the DLC. There were some frustrating moments, but as a whole a very good game. Sometimes the checkpoints were a pain in the ass. The first mission of the last DLC — argh I hated it. The rest of the DLC was quite good. I almost laughed out loud with the opening conversation of the first DLC after the campaign. They did a great job making me feel like I was part of a movement. The missions really captured that.

Escaping the base you mean? I struggled there too. Nice overall though. I doubt there’ll be a Homefront 3 but who knows. Can’t help thinking the one where you take the fight back to NK might be better received in the US market.

That was the one. The combination of the smoke making it difficult to see, the hordes of enemies, getting killed after I got on the truck at the end multiple times - I just found it frustrating.

I’m enjoying this game (mostly for the atmosphere) but e’gads the AI is terrible. Enemies have no concept of taking cover. Friendly AI will often yell “fire in the hole!” and then… nothing. No explosion. I wish my comrades would stay out of the way and let me solo, they’re really not helping much. I’m also getting tired of the “help us, we’re being overrun and you’re the only one who can save us!” insta-missions. It happened twice in a row, same location. Kinda immersive-breaking.

I only occasionally did the hotpoint missions. I don’t like being interrupted from the mission I’m pursuing, but they did give a sense of an ongoing battle.

Yeah, the AI isn’t great, which is probably why it is easy to sometimes just sprint through things to get away. They can also be lured into running to your location to get shot in the face.

Sometimes you have to leave them to look after themselves. What are you, their mother?

Mother of the revolution, comra…oh, wrong game.

I purchased and played Homefront based on the reviews in this thread. I’d give it a solid “meh”. It doesn’t do anything incredibly new, the story is pretty goofy, and the moment to moment fighting mechanics are meh. The best thing about the game is how the atmosphere changes as a zone tips from yellow to revolution. Strange that the zone next door is unaffected, almost as if each part of the city was a completely different universe, but that’s what you get when you have a semi-sort-open-ish world and not an open one.

I thought the level design gave a very good context for the usual shooting. The way all the derelict buildings had lots of openings, slopes and walkways made for a very good environment IMO. Actually a bit like a big MP shooter map I suppose.

I agree that without the setting and environments, the game would be OK and easily skippable. I just think the combination of the maps, the atmosphere of a repressive regime with the patrols and harassing citizens, and even the goofy story combined to make the game more enjoyable than the gameplay taken on its own. DOOM is better from moment to moment game play for sure.

Funny, I thought I was playing a jumping puzzle game at times. There’s a bit of assassins creed climb the tower in there, but without the cool tools (or need for stealth, as the AI is wacky.) One of the areas to capture that really annoyed me was the one where you had to drive an RC care through a opening in a door to blow up another door from the inside. You couldn’t use an RC car on the OTHER side of the door (or any other explosive device), because…magic. Maybe I was blowing up a switch that I couldn’t see or something, but grrr.

Finished the game last night. Put about 50 hours into it. I enjoyed it the same way I enjoyed Mafia III: the atmosphere and story propelled me through the game even though the missions are highly repetitive. I certainly got my money’s worth (think I paid $12). It’s a flawed game to be sure, but I still had fun. The game only crashed on me once (PC), so it’s pretty solid. I got a constant 60fps on my 1070 with settings on max.

I’m not sure if I’ll dig into the DLC. I feel like I got everything I needed out of the main game, time to move on.

Mafia 3 is a pretty good comparison, especially with the hearts and minds missions in Homefront. I’d recommend the DLC as it is more story focused and less repetitive. They are all pretty short too. There were a couple places where the difficulty was harder, so if you just want to get the experience you wouldn’t be missing a ton dropping the difficulty level down. My guess is 6-8 hours and you’d be done with all of the DLC.

Thinking of getting this. Now correct me if i am wrong, but is this game similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky? I loved Clear Sky because of the faction wars. Sure the game was really buggy and had some design issues like the broken economy but it was good fun trying to win the war with your favourite faction. From the review, i got the feeling that it is somewhat similar. If it is, i would definitely like to try it.

Not… really. It’s less simmy. More like a Far Cry trying to be grittier. I liked it a lot.