Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

There’s still a big StarCraft community. However, the game itself has changed quite a bit over the years. Legacy of the Void is a much faster paced game than HOTS.

Taking a pointless feature out of a humdrum RTS doesn’t magically make it NOT a humdrum RTS. :)

By the way, I’m a huge fan of what Barking Dog did with Homeworld Cataclysm. It’s like when Big Huge Games came in and turned Age of Empires III from a decent RTS into a fantastic RTS. I was disappointed that the Dessert of Khruck remake didn’t include Cataclysm.

-Tom

Wow, this is getting a patch in a couple of days.

Tactical Pause

Tactical Pause is a feature that has become quite polarizing in the world of RTS games. Many people argue that tactical pause undermines the concept of “real time” strategy. However Tactical Pause has always been a part of the Homeworld franchise, and people expect it to feature in any Homeworld game. Its absence was a mistake which has now been rectified.

The player can now pause the game in the single player campaign and in skirmish games using the “P” key. During tactical pause players can issue combat, movement, and build commands to units which will be carried out once the game has become unpaused. There is audio feedback for any commands issued while paused, with visual feedback confirming the commands once the player unpauses the game.

Hey I get to play this now! Sweet!

I’d heard rumors that this was being worked on, so now that it’s confirmed it’ll be a nice sale pickup.

Now someone needs to put tactical pause into Spellforce 3, and a decent combat system, and I’ll be happy.

It’s about #$%^ time. I’ll actually buy this, assuming I can find a good price for it.

I’m sorry to be so nit-picky and superficial, but the way strikecraft hug the hills when they cross over them has always bugged me. Hard to explain.

Also, if this game has so few skirmish maps, why don’t they allow players to make new ones? This was possible in all the previous Homeworld games. Over 1000 maps IIRC.

http://isometricland.net/homeworld/HWR_HWClassicMaps_Reference.html

I guess I must have dreamed this or something, but didn’t we have news recently that Homeworld Cataclysm was getting released digitally somehow?

Maybe it really was a dream. I searched on GoG.com and Steam, thinking I’d add it to my wishlist in case it was on sale in the coming holiday sales. But nope, it’s not there. What a weird thing. I could have sworn we had a forum discussion recently about that release, but I must have made the whole thing up in my mind.

EDIT: It was NOT a fevered dream! They just renamed it. It is on GoG as Homeworld Emergence. The name change really threw me. I’m glad I’m not going crazy though. Sorry about putting this in the wrong thread too. I couldn’t find the Cataclysm thread either.

Cataclysm/Emergence won’t ever be remastered due to the devs having lost the source code. Maybe that’s a good thing.

The unskippable cutscenes are really diminishing my enjoyment of this. I mean, they were cool the first time I saw them, but EVERY damn time I replay? Sloppy.

70% off on steam, finally; I wanted it for awhile but most reviews said it was a bit light for the cost.

There’s not much of a multiplayer community, either. (I don’t buy games for multiplayer, though.)

This is free on Epic Games Store this week.

I’ll admit I hadn’t considered picking it up, but for free? I’d be kind of curious.

Why is there an open parenthesis / open bracket in the thread title?

Forget it, @Rock8man, it’s Qt3.

I tend to leave old thread titles alone, but some off you guys are absolutely the worst when it comes to thread titles. But I appreciate how that gives me an opportunity to use my admin powers for good. Therefore…voila! Dangling open parenthesis gone!

P.S Thanks for the heads up! Who wouldn’t want a free RTS?

I’ll probably grab it - I’ve had it on my steam wishlist, but wanted to finish the Homeworld remastered games first (you can guess how that’s going!)