Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Video

New title for the game, so I suppose I will make a new thread.

Previous threads

Steam - 20th Jan release

edit: that (, lol. If anyone asks, it’s an homage to the old Mothership.

EXPERIENCE AN ORIGIN STORY
In Deserts of Kharak’s campaign, an anomaly is discovered deep in the southern desert. An expedition is sent, but the story is not that simple. Discover the story of Rachel S’jet as she leads her people on a quest to find their destiny in an exciting campaign.

HEAVY DUTY HARDWARE
Take control of fleets of land and air vehicles – from nimble light attack vehicles to massive heavyweight cruisers – built to conquer the desert.

MASSIVE ENVIRONMENTS
Fight your way across massive dune seas, deep craters, and hostile canyons in sprawling maps – all in unprecedented fidelity and scale.

TACTICAL COMBAT
Position your fleet to take advantage of the high ground or create ambushes across dune lines in terrestrial combat. Attack your enemies’ resource operations, or assault their military head-on.

STRATEGIC DECISIONS
Meaningful choices in resource management, fleet composition, and technology research directly impact your chances of survival.

ONLINE MULTIPLAYER
Compete online solo or with friends in a variety of game modes, including ranked play, to rise through the ranks and become the most powerful Fleet Captain on Kharak.

Before you can find your Homeworld, you must first unlock the secrets of the desert.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-950 (3.0 GHz) / AMD FX-4300 (3.8 GHz)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770 (2048 MB) / Radeon HD 7770 (1024 MB)
Storage: 12 GB available space

"In Deserts of Kharak’s campaign, an anomaly is discovered deep in the southern desert. An expedition is sent, but the story is not that simple. Discover the story of Rachel S’jet as she leads her people on a quest to find their destiny in an exciting campaign. " is simultaneously one of the worst-written pieces of copy I have ever encountered and also one of the least-enticing bullet-points for a game I’ve ever heard of.

In any case, if I happen to get 2 Total Annihilation-alikes next year that are both decent-to-good, I’ll be pretty fuckin’ pleased!

Dude. The game has a giant land-bound aircraft carrier. What more do you want?

Dunno, I think TA (and successors) have a very particular gameplay and rhythm to it, that no other “normal” RTS have it, related to how the economy works with surplus/flow, the production queues basically set to infinite, the huge armies managed on a more strategic way and less tactically, the nuke vs shields and superweapons, etc.

In other words, just because this is set on land and not on space, I don’t see evidence it will be more like TA, the same Starcraft or Age of Empires also weren’t

That is pretty cool, but it still kind of feels like they just slapped the homeworld name on some random RTS.

The “giant reams of bots roving around and blasting at each other” definitely gave me that feel, but you’re right that the unique econ model and the combat flow tactical PRS was also a big part of it. I don’t know enough about nuHomeworld yet to guess how much of that it also picks up. Looking forward to learning more, though :)

That’s exactly how I feel about it.

Well, it’s true in a way. This was called Hardware: Shipbreakers, but they slapped the Homeworld name because Gearbox got it and they did a deal with the devs. In any case, even before the “slapping” there were a bit of HW vibe in there, because part of the staff are Homeworld devs, and in the kickstarter they mentioned the influence and the pedigree. Hell I think that’s why they called it Hardware because it’s abbreviated HW like Homeworld.

Yeah, but if someone made a generic-looking PA-style RTS called “Freespace: The Plains of Vasuda” I’d be all WTF really c’mon now.

Yeah, what kind of self-respecting developer would spell Vasuda wrong? :)

. . . I kinda want to play Freespace: The Plains of Vasuda now. You guys suck (and I have low standards).

Hah, sorry, I’ve ALWAYS spelled that word wrong. Fixed.

I was going to say, this almost sounds like a tower defense game. Which I would be totally ok with.

I never played homeworld, but I’m a RTS fanatic and I’m still looking for something TA like to get the PA taste out of my mouth. Should I go play the Homeworld Remastered?

On this new one - I really want a campaign I can sink my teeth into, so this gets bonus points for any mention of a campaign.

Homeworld definitely has a campaign you can sink your teeth into.

I wouldn’t say it’s especially TA-like, however (the original games). They’re 3D space RTSes focused on a gigantic mothership that produces other vessels that then harvest, scout, attack, defend, etc. While asteroids and the like can give some semblance of terrain, and while you can make use of 3D effects to attack from above or below, I didn’t find either made MUCH difference (mind, we’re talking gaming memories from a long time ago here!).

The economy, build-up phase, and controls are all pretty different from TA. It does manage “large blobs of little bots blowing each other up in gorgeous late-90s style” however!

And the campaign is really sorta neat. I think it may lack a few of the smoothing elements RTSes learned over the years, so it’s a little. … let’s call it stoic. . . but it’s still very playable.

Mantaining the sense of scale and “homeworld feel” is very difficult, I hope they can pull it.

I wonder what type of story they will create? at least we know how it ends.

and closure

This is a beautiful story to make a game, I hope they give it deserved love.

I hope for some mix of Homeworld, Dune and Ground Control.

As an old Homeworld fan I like the idea. You really think that they’ll adopt that crazy magic of the original in some semi generic looking real time ground game? It better be good or it will be lost in the forest of nice ideas along with 1500 other steam games.

This would make sense, I think Ground Control and Homeworld already shared some DNA with the persistent army composition between missions (which made wonders for the campaign). I don’t about Dune, though. I don’t see anything in those screenshots that recalls it (expect for the setting :P).