Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Pretty pumped for this one. I can dust off my PS4!

Looks like press got to play a little of this recently, some sort of embargo may have been lifted as I’ve seen hands on stuff from Gamespot and IGN (so far).

IGN had a 12 minute gameplay video w/commentary I’m about to watch.

Interesting comment in that video… “this is what Far Cry Primal should have been”.

I may have to pick this one up.

Since Far Cry Primal was the best game of 2016, thats some crazy stuff to be sprouting.

This game DOES look like everything I want, though.

Jeff Cannata was very positive on it in the new DLC, especially about the 4K HDR version. Described it as a hybrid between The Witcher 3 and Arkham Asylum.

Oh please be good! It would be nice if my PS4 was more than a $400 ticket to play Bloodborne.

Lots of footage out there, sounds like. I was skimming through the NeoGAF thread and there is a ton of discussion and dissection of screenshots, but for my money I was most interested in the excellent .gif files they were putting up. I’ll put a few up myself, but first I also found this excellent series of small bites of gameplay running at 4k on a PS4 Pro. Looks just incredible.

Enjoy!

Night gameplay:

Armor/Outfits:

Stunning lighting effects:

Thanks @Scotch_Lufkin! This game went from not on my radar at all to one of my most anticipated of the year just in the last few weeks. I wonder if this will be the game that convinces me to trade in my perfectly good original PS4 for a Pro.

Looks like the review embargo lifted this morning. I’m not linking to any specific ones but it seems to be really well received and there are a lot of superlatives being thrown out in summaries. Really can’t wait for my preorder to arrive now!

88 on Open Critic and Metacritic. This pleases me greatly.

Wow, I don’t remember the last time Jeff Gerstmann liked a video game! :)

Looks like it’s doing really well. PS exclusives often don’t make it to the PC right? On one hand a shame, on the other I’m a bit open worlded out, so maybe just as well for me :)

Usually no. Also Jim Sterling, who is also open worlded out, loves it.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review/

Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more “open sandbox” games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I’ve been glued to it for days and days and I don’t want it to end. I love existing in this world – a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights.

It was just a couple of months ago:

Yeah there are some more negative reviews out there but when sites like Ars Technica get all gushy I take notice (they don’t generally get caught up in AAA hype).

I usually follow Tom here at Qt3 and Eurogamer. Unfortunately Eurogamer weren’t enamored by the game.

I feel like people gloss over all of Witcher 3s flaws when they do these comparisons, they never mention the rubbish movement and lackluster combat or the repetitive encounters with garbage enemies like Drowners.

Agreed combat was always the worst part of Witcher 3 (and the loot, crafting, etc) but the story and world-building were so above and beyond the rest of the genre it doesn’t really matter. I’m not expecting another Witcher from this game. All I want is a (relatively) satisfying story and robo-dinosaur hunting with beautiful visuals.

Probably because these problems don’t exist, or at least they don’t compared to other major open world games. How is that combat and enemy variety in Skyrim or fallout 4?

Saying any game falls short of The Witcher 3 is a bit like saying the sun is pretty darn hot. At this point, the fact that the reviewer mentions TW3 no fewer than four times to compare the two is kind of high praise in and of itself - I mean, if the biggest problem Horizon faces is it doesn’t measure up to the best open world game to date, doesn’t that mean it’s a damned good game?’

EDIT - Also maybe of note, since I put over 150 hours into TW3 and beat it several times (plus expansion) I’m kind of ready for something new that’s not TW3, which is maybe worth pointing out in the discussion.

I was being a little bit hyperbolic.