Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

Yup! Plus some enemies are just more annoying than others based on how you play, so certain ones I could just go for clean damage, others I pulled out the stops and murdalized with the more expensive ammo before they knew what was up.

I played this a bit over my Christmas break. I didn’t care for it too much. Basically it seemed like a far cry game with a better story, but with checkpoint saves.

What killed it for me was that there was some bandit base I had to clear, the very first one I encountered. So I am trying to clear it and kill maybe a dozen dudes until I fuck up and alert the base and then die. I then restart at the last checkpoint and have to do it all over again. That just sapped my will to play the game any further.

There are some I haven’t figured out yet, like snapjaws. My rend arrows that do the big area effect have ~170 rend, but sometimes they will knock of multiple components and other times nothing.

Anyone know what harvest arrows do are best used for?

I’m playing on easy, so those guys weren’t a threat to me. But I’ve had some fights that really challenged me, so I think I’m in a good spot.

Lol, I set up tripcasters all around a cauldron fight last night and still barely survived it.

I played this on PS4 and really enjoyed it. I picked it up again on PC and without the story hooks and mystery of why people died out it’s kinda rough. I lost interest about 1/3 of the way through.

I never had much luck with the harvest arrows, even with a Tear-built bow. The component-knocking still seems pretty location sensitive, so definitely look at your guide for the right part, view the beast with your focus so the parts are highlighted, and use concentration to nail it. I’d generally multishot the main problem of whatever, then give them another tear arrow in the head and belly, that usually stripped plenty of weapons and armor to let everything else through.

Tear is weird.

Especially:

Nice Guide, quite helpfull. Looks like I was wasting all my Tear mods on the sharpshoot arrows to try to guarantee that the tearblast arrow removes the piece I want at the first attempt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/6oc83g/how_tear_works/

I guess I knew you could do that but I never took advantage if it until all most the end of the game. And it was great.

I don’t remember how many of those were required, I do know many were optional. Once you figure out a system and level up a bit they are quite fun and usually contain good treasure. They also become settlements with merchants IIRC.

I don’t believe that post. I guess I will have to try it unmodified, but I feel like I see far more parts flying off with tearblast arrows than I did before I had the tear enhancements

Very interesting. I understood the base behavior, tear vs damage, but had no idea that the mods were doing nothing. Generally I went with straight damage and handling on sharpshots so I probably didn’t lose much, but I’m sure I had at least one tear focused bow out of the seven or so I carried. My opener was usually tripled tear arrows to the spine, that tended to clean off most weapons in one shot.

I’m finally picking this back up after not playing for… 5 years LOL. I am Level 37 but I don’t have a spear that can take mods. Where do you get one like that?

No idea, but I have spear mods!

Got a feeling that comes from the DLC…

I think you can get it early in the DLC. But I would wait until finishing the main game to get into the DLC.

DLC, but don’t get too excited, the spear mods are only damage IIRC. The fun mods are all the experimental ones that have a bunch of buffs, but otherwise it plays the same.

Was I supposed to play the DLC before finishing the main quest final battle? I’m confused because after winning the big battle, it put me back in save state right before the final sequence got initiated.

You can do but I did it like you, afterwards.

Same, everything will work out fine, and you’ll appreciate being geared up.

I finished the main game first and then did the DLC. It doesn’t really matter.

It puts you back in that spot so you can continue the game if you wish.

I finished the base game, and the narrative dump in the main questline is a bit much tbh. They say “show, don’t tell”, and this game did the exact opposite.

The game play is ok, it feels a bit like the Tomb Raider reboots, stealth is encouraged not required.

The “ending” is basically begging for a sequel. Aloy is… ok. I keep expecting her to revert to Tiny Tina or Ash in HAWP any second though. Not particularly good or bad IMO.

Yea, there’s a lot to like about HZD but it didn’t feel like the Greatest Game Ever, or something.

But it did feel appropriate as sort of the “endcap” on a style of game design that was going out of fashion, kind of an end of generation thing, and the best thing about it was that it was an entirely coherent design that in many ways seems to have fallen out of fashion by a lot of other devs making these increasingly narratively fuzzy open world games that start strong but eventually peter out into nonsense and low budget cutscenes and writing. At least HZD has a very clearly written story and has system that work the entire game - maybe not well balanced systems, but they don’t just dead-end into cul-de-sacs of game design that got pushed out the door.