House V

New episode was on last night. The suicidal guy was less sympathetic and more annoying, especially with his kid bearing withness to the whole thing. You have to hand it to the writers though, a plumber adjusting his boys gives House the answer to the case, that’s a first even for House!

I’m still not sold on either the Cuddy/baby thing or the Foreman/Thirteen thing (I love when House called them “Foreteen”), but it looks like they’re going to use the Cuddy/baby thing to shake up the roles a little at least, so that should be entertaining. And again, anything that keeps Olivia Wilde on screen is OK by me.

I liked the episode. Seeing the dad suiciding in the car when they pull up and open the garage was great TV… Foreteen was fun. The Cuddy / Baby / Cameron storyline I am not so sure on. House working his butt off to make the insurance company pay then realizing at the end why the pipes were coming apart - priceless. That and the fire which did in the neighbors pipes.

Wasn’t the best ep this season, but it was entertaining. I didn’t see the Cuddy/Cameron thing coming, but it was too light on Wilson. Fourteen was hilarious though. ;)

I liked the episode a lot. I think it would have been even more powerful if House hadn’t had a revelation at the end and solved the mystery. If they really had discharged the patient so that he could take his own life.

You’re confusing this show with Dexter, Rock8man! This is the show where killing people isn’t the primary goal ;)

This was the first time when Cuddy and her baby’s intrusion upon the show bothered me. It was all just so predictable and boring. It didn’t even occur to me for a second that Cuddy would really not connect with the baby by the end of the episode, and therefore that drama never felt real to me.

I thought this show was awfully written. House went from being an asshole to being a sexual harrasser. The whole Cuddy baby arc is shit. Thirteen suddenly turned perky and wanted kids with her brand new boyfriend!!!

I mean, damn, even without all the Hodgkins bullshit, you don’t sleep with a guy once or twice, then announce, “By the way, I want kids.” That’s like saying, “Check your rubbers twice for pinholes, because I’m aimin’ ta get knocked up!!!”

Jesus, what a trainwreck of an episode.

I think the idea is that they’re at an advanced point in their relationship. That they’re already “in love”. (Hence the other part of the episode, where House says “unless you’re in love, because people do stupid things when they’re in love”).

So the whole point of the baby thing was to convey the advanced status of the relationship.

Which I agree was completely forced and artificial and isn’t helped by the fact that the two actors have no chemistry. Maybe the writers saw that they had no chemistry so decided to push the issue in this way instead, to set us up for what is obviously coming next week, which is Thirteen getting sick.

You know, the thing that bothers me about the whole 13/Foreman diversion, and this probably says more about me than them, is that the writers don’t seem to understand how double blind studies work. First off, at the point that Foreman continued the proceedings after it became clear that the findings would be irrevocably tainted by the practitioners’ knowledge, he was already risking his career, and certainly his reputation - at least, that’s my understanding. Second, how in the chuffing hell did he know that the patient whose medicine he was swapping out for his new girlfriend’s even had the drug in the first place? The only way for him to know that would be 1) to smell it, which we don’t see on camera and if he did so would have even further ruined the trial; or 2) be able to find the records another way, and neither of those ideas are compatible with a properly executed trial. Moreover, he doesn’t know that the drugs are having an effect anyway - any positive results could easily be placebo (though it would appear from the next episode trailer that 13 busts him over on that one, at least).

So, yeah - screwed up there. Never ceases to annoy me.

For what it’s worth, though, even though dramatically it didn’t contribute much tension, factually the Cuddy post-foster-person-appointment lack of connection makes sense. That sort of thing does happen to lots of people. Even though we might have known how it would turn out from the beginning, at least the writers included it in the first place, eh? It seems like a reasonable thing that that character would go through.

I’m just glad Cuddy is coming back. Could they have tried any harder to make her appear haggard and dumpy, it was borderline ridiculous. Someone as image concious as Cuddy would never have gone to work looking like that, even if it was just for a baby show-off visit.

The Foreteen thing continues to annoy for reasons others have stated (no chemistry, forced dialog, etc.) and seems to be fabricated solely to produce the drama for next weeks episode.

My wife and I both laughed out loud at the line of the week. “I don’t see how that’s going to be possible.”

True, but a scene with Foreman checking the medication could easily have been edited out. An example of this happened several episodes ago, the one where House was nice to patients. House is wearing a tie that in a previous scene Wilson was wearing. One can assume that House “borrowed” the tie from Wilson.

I know it was plot pivotal but: A crying baby in the OR?! Could Cuddy be any more stupid?

You know why this show sucks now? House.

I don’t know when it happened, but at some point pretty much all of House’s jokes started boiling down to “I want to fuck you, aren’t I juvenile?” He used to be a prick because he was a brilliant doctor who didn’t give a shit about people. Now he’s just this creep who can’t stop mentioning his co-workers’ titties.

Also, as someone with a little bit of human bio experience, the medicine has become completely fucking useless. Of course if House were rigorously true to life most of it would be over my head, but right now it’s about tied with Grey’s Anatomy when it comes to realism.

I’m going to go watch “Maternity” from season 1 on DVD.

I had a question about last night’s episode. If the patient’s menstrual blood was all over her body, and was causing the problems, why was that causing her to scratch right through her skin to her brain? How was the blood causing that itch? Did it get into her brain too?

The theory the show runs with is that she has endometriosis, which is less about her menstrual blood being everywhere as it is about the tissue that builds up in the uterus and then sloughs off during the menstrual cycle being distributed randomly throughout her body. Their argument is that the pockets of foreign tissue acted like small, exceptionally bloody tumors, some of which could have been on the brain and/or nerves and prompted the constant itching.

Well, last night’s was definitely a stinker, probably the worst one in a while. They really need to make up their mind about what they want to do with Thirteen, because these constant oscillations between interesting and unlikeable are irritating. I found myself hoping against hope that she was going to die last night, after her whole “you did the nicest, most selfless thing anyone has ever done for another human being… we have to break up” nonsense. This subplot with her and Foreman officially sucks now, and it looks like it’s going to suck even worse next week. Also horrible: the entire drama of that arc was the threat of him losing his license, and then they cop out, so whoops! it was all for nothing.

And for the love of Pete, can somebody please put more Kutner in the show? He’s so obviously the best character that it’s almost physically painful to barely even see the guy while we put up with Thirteen’s ridiculous horse shit and Talb’s marital problems.

I liked Talb’s marital problems a lot more when they were only being discussed between him and House. They’re a lot less interesting (for some reason) when they’re being discussed between him and his wife.

So I don’t mind the topic, I just wish they’d stop bringing his wife into it.

Brian: Thanks for the explanation.

Even my stalker-like love for Olivia Wilde (the most beautiful face on TV) could not overcome the craptasticness of last night’s episode. It was a true stinker from the unlikeable and medically preposterous (even for House) patient of the week, to the lame “Cuddy gets her House on!” sub-plot, to the crazy pendulum romance of Foreteen. In one 48 hour period they went from “It’s so awesome that we’re banging and I love watching you sleep” to “I can’t believe you tried to save my life and now it’s killing me and you’re going to risk everything to save me again, I don’t think I’m ready for a commitment right now” and back to “It’s so awesome that I can see again so I can watch you sleep after we bang not 12 hours after I nearly died and have all this radioactive shit in my head.”. “WTF” doesn’t even begin to describe the leaps of logic involved in this sub-plot.

I wish they would go back to having people just be collegues instead of trying to toss so many romances into the mix. It’s getting too Gray’s Anatomy for my taste.

My GF watches this show called “Mystery Diagnosis”, at least I think that’s what it’s called. And the one time I watched it the diagnosis was the same as last night’s show. I shit you not, almost the exact thing. As soon as House had his moment of insight talking to Cuddy, I called Endometriosis (sp?). The writers are watching that show I just know it.

I wouldn’t get too worried about the long term state of the show. Each season has had a questionable arc so far. One time it was the arc where House’s ex comes on the show, another time it was the new owner of the hospital who wanted to make changes and squeeze out House, another time it was the cop who wanted to make life hard for House, etc. All those arcs were never all that well received, but eventually they went away and the show returned to normal. I’m assuming this current arc is going to be the same way.