How did Injustice 2 get better character faces than most other games?

Besides being a whip-smart fighting game with an almost embarrassing amount of content, Injustice 2 is a high water mark for character models and animation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/05/22/injustice-2-get-better-character-faces-games/

Suddenly I want to convince Tom that he should stream this game for the MWF Qt3 streams.

Some parts of the story mode were especially good. Harley was a standout on animation. As a fighting game, it further casts a shadow over whatever the hell was going on with Andromeda.

Off the top of my head, I think Arkham Knight had slightly better animation and modeling, though maybe I’m just remembering it more fondly because I preferred the art direction on the character designs there to the Injustice versions.

There are still a few weird moments when something looks a little off with a smile or the eyes, but Injustice 2 is definitely still very impressive. I can’t think of anything besides Arkham Knight that I could point to right away that I’m sure looks better.

NetherRealm previously had a reputation for giving their female characters “man face”.

http://assets.change.org/photos/7/ri/qq/wvRIQqOkJWlknNh-1600x900-noPad.jpg?1428903861

their previous games were terrible poser-model quality

to be fair to andromeda, there’s a ton more generic characters and lines. the rpg has different demands than a fighting game.

The fight animation is still super weird. Maybe it’s better when you’re playing it.

You know what game had fantastic looking faces and animation? Halo 4. And I guess probably Halo 5, though I didn’t ever play it, I just checked some cutscenes on YouTube.

But Halo 4, a last-gen game, had gorgeous looking faces in cutscenes that I’m pretty sure were in-engine (though higher quality that during gameplay) and they still look as good as anything else I can think of today.

They reuse them anyway, might as well make 5 good ones instead of 10 terrible ones.

Also: See The Witcher 3. There are tons of faces and they’re all good if not amazing. Hell, they also have body types.

Well, this certainly makes me want to get it.

The sad thing is that I really really liked the first Injustice, and I even have a couple of really nice arcade fightsticks for it. But on the frickin’ Xbox 360. Sad!

-Tom

Injustice 2 has legacy support. I’m using my PS3 SFIV TE stick while playing on the PS4.

You’re not helping! :( I would be playing on the Playstation 4. I’d sooner believe Electronic Arts games are going to be on Steam than I’d believe an Xbox 360 peripheral will work on my PS4.

-Tom

I watched the video in that Kotaku link and I’ve got to say I wasn’t as impressed as I expected to be. Batman and Wonder Woman’s mouths look kind of weird and uncanny. Robin seemed to look good though. I should probably watch some other videos…

I was always impressed by Timesplitters 2’s facial animations. I know they’re a lot more stylised but, damn, if they don’t look great even today:

FWIW, for this game at least, a gamepad is just fine. It is in fact preferable by most players. NRS does not use the quarter circles, forward to quarter circles, or 360 circle inputs of Capcom games. Inputs are directional such as back forward or down back. As such a D-pad is really good. Actually, for some multiverses you NEED a gamepad as they require right stick input to summon an ally. Also the speaker in the PS4 pad is cool and functional for giving audio feedback when you gain a meter bar.

So why am I using the stick? Well, for one thing, I paid stupid amounts of money for one that I barely used back in the day. It also sort of has a nostalgic Arcade feel. However the main thing is (and don’t tell anyone) my weak, newbie fighter thumb tips start to hurt after a bit of play on the d-pad. And unlike other fighting games, I get lost playing this one for hours. All that said, I DO find it easier to environmental interact, throw, meter burn, and ultimate when using the gamepad.

Ah yes, slutty cortana is best cortana.

For context, Halo 1-4

I’ll be in my bunk.