How do I get rid of Chrome's autocomplete for a particular item?

I use Chrome. At one point in my life I guess I searched for “steamboat days” and now when I want to go to Steam I type it in the bar and the autocomplete defaults to steamboat days. I have to backspace to get it down to just Steam then hit enter. Irritating.

What do I have to do to get rid of steamboat days? Shouldn’t Google know I go to Steam more than steamboat days?

Start typing stea in your address bar. Now, hit the down arrow until “steamboat days” is highlighted. Hit “shift-delete”.

This only works for some items in the list, I’ve found. If the item is being populated from a Google search on the term, I don’t think you can clear it other than a scorched-earth method of deleting your entire cached content. If it’s from a URL or browsing history, it should clear.

Alternatively, type “stea” and down arrow to steam, then hit enter. Do this a couple times and chrome will learn and reorder them.

Very relevant:

Shift-delete didn’t seem to work.

Stusser, your suggestion looks like it’s working so far. I never thought of doing this so thanks!

By the way, what do the icons mean in the autocomplete drop down? Some of the results have a globe icon, others a clock icon and others a magnifying glass icon.

star = bookmarked site
clock = site from your recent browsing history
magnifying glass = searches, including related searches if you have the prediction service turned on
globe = related sites, when you have the prediction service turned on.
box = web apps you’ve installed from Chrome Web Store