How do I see the new posts in a thread?

I click on threads and I get posts from 2014. I do not want to scroll through 5,000 posts to see the latest on The Witcher or another thread like that. How do I just get to the latest posts in any given thread?

There is a very faint vertical bar to the right of the text. At the top is the original OP date, at the bottom is the latest post expressed in “time before now”…eg 15m, 3h, 2d. Click on that bottom and it will take you to the most latest post. From then on in that thread, you shouldn’t have to do it again.

Discourse generally remembers where you were in a thread, but that info does not transfer nicely during a migration. In some cases the thread will at least take you to your last post in a thread if you have contributed. But, suffice to say, this will be a short term inconvenience while you enter threads here for the first time.

To get to the bottom quickly drag the sidebar to the bottom, or just hit End on your keyboard.

Also, we are hopefully building a bit of an FAQ here so people can quickly find their feet with Discourse.

You can also click on the time in the Activity column and it takes you to the last post. Saves you from a lot of scrolling down.

Thank you. Due to the color scheme and some color blindness difficulty I did not see the bar to the right.

Theres a button to dismiss all old threads and old post “new” status. I just did and now the forum is less crazy.

Still the “related threads” button is a huge temptation to necro stuff from 2 or 3 years ago…

I dont know about you but imo this is one of the few forums on the internet that doesn’t mind a good old necro.

I was not aware that bar could be used as a scroll! Yes I am dumb. :p

This is going to take me a while to adapt to I think.

Make sure you go to the New or Unread tabs and use the Dismiss button as needed.

To enter at the top or bottom click on the reply count.

Clicking on the topic title will take you to your current read position if you have read the topic before. If you have never read the topic before then clicking the title takes you to the top as you’d expect.

I wish there was a Dismiss button on the Latest tab that did this for everything which I discuss why here.

Is there a “dark theme” so the forum is black like the Total War forums?

I don’t find a dismiss button on mobile in either mobile or desktop view when I click to the Unread catagory. That kind of stinks.

My confusion is not understanding the difference between “new” and “unread”. In my mind they’re the same thing. If I haven’t read a message, it’s an unread, new message.

Think of it at the topic level. New topic, unread topic.

• New Topics are only new to you per your user preferences (today? Last 7 days? Since last visit?) and once you enter a topic it is no longer new to you.

• Unread Topics are topics you have entered before, but have unread (to you) posts in them.

I see it on iOS at the bottom of both New and Unread pages. Look for the Dismiss Button.

Well I’ll check for that. It’s at the top in a normal browser so that’s kind of inconsistent.

That bar is a bizarre way to get to the last post but it works so I’m happy.

edit: by ‘bizarre’ I mean relative to having a button that says “last post”. I would never have figured that out without someone telling me how to do it, I’d have wasted my time scrolling and scrolling and scrolling…

Or keyboard shortcut by pressing the End key.

What’s bizarre about it? It is a vertical timeline. Starts when the topic starts, ends when it ends. Move around in time using it.