How it Ends on Netflix. Not saying it's aliens. But it's aliens.

I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that. That’s a pretty apt description of what was going on, I think you may have nailed it, Dess.

I couldn’t stand the ending, a 5th grader could have written a better one. I couldn’t stand that in what, 5 days the entire US society has broken down completely. Really? I mean, REALLY? I couldn’t stand that any building, venue or home had a single generator still in operation, by day 2. Seriously? I couldn’t stand how one guy drove that far as the driver without passing the hell out at the wheel. It went on and on. Thank god my girlfriend talked me into starting Ozark after that. It took the sting off wasting time with How it Ends.

I knew nothing going in, I was just scrolling through Netflix, and saw the name of the movie, and decided to hit play.

I really enjoyed it. I’m surprised this thread was so critical.

Things that I liked a lot:

• The dinner scene at the start. I thought that was good misdirection on what the movie was going to be about.
  • Then it turns into a road movie! Woohoo! I love those. And Highway 90 westward trip is one I’ve taken multiple times.
  • I loved the uncertainty of what was going on. It was like being in an alien invasion without knowing it’s an alien invasion.
  • The cop car scene was tense and really well handled. Though it was a bit weird that after that scene, our hero turns into an expert with his gun.
  • The native american settlement was great. More people for the road trip! I love when she asks what music they’re listening to, and he answers it’s not that type of road trip. Heheh.
  • Great tense scenes in South Dakota near the black hills. That whole town that had been barricaded away, great touch.
  • The scene in the burning forest was kind of iffy, but I loved the aftermath where Ricky has had enough with these guys. I love it when she says her people will still be around and get through it better than you, or something to that effect.
  • The bridge ambush scene was really good, and a really good climax to the movie.
  • I liked that the movie knew that the bridge scene was a climax, so it rushed through the rest. 3 or 4 cuts to get to Seattle, 3 or 4 cuts to get a mask, 3 or 4 cuts to get to the message from the wife, 3 or 4 cuts to find her.
  • I kind of like the ending a lot. I don’t think it was meant to show that they got away. I think it was left ambiguous like the rest of the movie, and I thought that was very appropriate. At that moment, with the husband and wife hugging and finding reassurance with one another, it didn’t matter if they got away or not.

@Desslock, good call on the magnetic poles switching. That’s brilliant. That does explain everything. I’m glad I didn’t catch that during the movie though. A big part of the tension in the movie was not knowing what the hell was going on.

So yeah, I enjoyed it as a road movie, and I liked it as a societal breakdown movie. I like that they took a drive through the sparsely populated part of the country so they didn’t have to explain the lack of huge crowds in a lower budget movie. Great stuff all around. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Did they involve a young boy named Rocky Raccoon?

I had to google that. A Beatles song! Very nice. I’m only familiar with the Beatles songs that were on the Rock Band Beatles game, so I didn’t know that one.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. One of my favorite songs.

I liked this movie, after finishing it on Netflix tonight.

It wasn’t aliens, it was the magnetic poles flipping or something like that.