How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

This guys is gone:

“The time has come for me to step away from Blizzard and pass the torch to the next generation of leaders,” Pearce said on Friday.

I heard stories about people leaving Blizzard. It’s sad that the quality of games is not the same as in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

Is that really the case? Hearthstone is a great game. Overwatch is a great game. Diablo 3 was not great then became pretty darned good. World of Warcraft is still good, though that is disputed by many. Diablo 4 is coming, and the truth about Diablo: Immortal remains to be seen.

They may not suit you, but I don’t think there’s evidence to suggest that Blizzard’s quality has actually fallen.

Andrew can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you’re talking to a bot of some kind.

Hearthstone is a cash grab. I enjoy the solo content only now and RNG is way too prevalent for the game to be balanced.

You can still have balanced win rates with random numbers.

Like I said, you may or may not like their games, but I personally don’t think there’s been any dropoff in quality over time. They’ve certainly taken to microtransactions, but so has everyone.

A fanboy maybe. I have not supported them recently and they have fired employees who have been loyal for many years.

To add to their decline, the Diablo fiasco at Blizzcon is a reminder of their lack of awareness about what their fans/player base want.

Right now the only thing keeping the Blizzard launcher installed on my pc is for the occasional goofing on a Diablo 3 season.

They have zero other games I care about anymore unless the theoretical Diablo 4 is real and actually good.

Kind of surprising even to me, but I also wonder what happens next for them.

I’d disagree with that. They don’t have anything I care about anymore and everything they have that I did like they managed to make me hate.

It’s hard for me judge the quality of their output other than by sales, since they don’t make the kind of games I enjoy, from the beginning. I didn’t enjoy Warcraft, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, so it’s all the same to me about not enjoying Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, Overwatch, whatever their MOBA was called. The only Blizzard games I’ve always enjoyed are the Diablo games, and those have been phenomenal. They started poorly with Diablo 3, but they course-corrected really well and delivered something really unique. Other than their MOBA, which seems to have failed, their other games seemed to be hits, so they must be doing it well in those other types of games that are not for me.

As for me, the only thing keeping the Blizzard launcher installed on my PC is for the upcoming Classic WoW. If nothing prevents me from doing so, I will create three characters on August 13th.

This is my periodic reminder that this forum hates Starcraft.

I’m too old for multiplayer Starcraft, and the SC2 campaign took a dip into anime cheese in the expansions, but coop SC 2 is fun.

Absolutely agree. I enjoyed watching Reforged trailer then I heard the price. Why not give it to previous owners for $14.99 and others at $29.99.

No point in playing their games and paying them extra for a remaster.

New article describing Activision’s microtransactions. I react by not paying for them and not buying their new games.

They are similar to EA in this regard.

My initial reaction was that adding microtransactions a month after release was OK, because you bought the game based on what came in the box on release.

But actually reading the article, the game was obviously built around microtransactions with very low currency droprates and such, and the developers said the game wouldn’t have them in multiple interviews. So this really is next-level disgusting.

Suppose it’s how you define the term, but I do think that the quality of WoW has fallen. As far as I’m concerned, there have been many questionable design choices made since WotLK, and the result is that the game is far less engaging than it used to be, nor can they reliably put out new content on any sort of schedule.

But, yeah, it does boot up every time and looks pretty enough and the systems work as designed as far as I can tell. If that’s all quality means, then they have maintained.

Not to mention that the release version is the one that all the reviews are based on, giving publishers the ability to banish any discussion of MTs from reviews if they wait a month and patch them in. Right, COD?

True enough, but it doesn’t obviate my point.