How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

From someone who brought a butt pug and lube to use on a coworker? Not buying it.

Nonsense. It’s a shitty fucking joke if it’s just about his sweaters. There’s no way they’d be getting that excited about it. If it’s about how Cosby is actually fucking every woman he meets it’s a funny joke among these dudes. “For the Coz!” They knew.

I can totally see a stupid joke about ugly hotel rugs looking like Cosby sweaters turning into a thing. Why not? It’s cute, until you hear about the Coz’s dark side.

Right.

Because when you say “You are gathering Hot CHixx for the Cos” you really mean “Find frauliens who can revel in a good old ugly sweater competition”

And “you misspelled fuck” when in regards to marriage, he mean “Forever urs cheery kayaks” or something.

I don’t know, the marriage/fuck joke could be unrelated to the Cosby Suite joke. Sometimes it’s funny to combine two unrelated things.

This guy sums up my feelings.

“You can’t marry them all, Alex”
“I can, I am middle eastern”
“You misspelled fuck.”

Sure, Unrelated.

Why is he twittering about a QT3 thread?! /s

Maybe some folks have decided that “it was just locker room talk” is finally not a defense, excuse, reason, nor should be accepted as “usual”.

Maybe theye were just really big fans of Kids Say the Darndest Things

/s

Agreed this is a dumb argument. They knew.

Broader question, though, is how illegal this is. They’re basically behaving like rock stars. Or, hip hop stars depending on your taste in music. Bands gleefully reminisce about all the deviant sexual behavior they get/got up to with groupies. And people buy books, watch documentaries, and listen to interviews about it and they love hearing it.

Blizzard was the best in the business. They had an entire con devoted JUST TO THEIR IP. No other gaming company can pull this off, except maybe Nintendo. These were the guys who created, at the time, the biggest IP in the gaming industry. They felt like rock stars, and they reveled in that life. Is that gross? Maybe! Depending on your point of view. But if you think so, I hope you’re not fans of Black Sabbath or… idk, Jay-Z (I don’t actually know hip hop so insert popular rap guy). Is it illegal? Assuming these women came up there and partied of their own accord, then no.

This is just about “Cosby Suite”, mind you. All that other stuff in the lawsuit is horrific too. But, if Blizz can push back on this Cosby Suite thing as their devs partying it up with willing groupies, they win the public opinion battle and this all goes away imo.

When I first read this story I thought Foror summoned women who worked for Blizzard to his office and tried to fuck them, saying he was the boss of WoW. Now, ironically, Kotaku may have saved Blizzard from themselves. That’s not what he did. He partied at a con with his bros and they boasted about getting laid.

The problem is context. In the context of all the allegations both in and outside of the lawsuit, it shows that him and others in the company were very open about this type of activities and it wasn’t constrained to just a small chat between good friends.

No, he may not have had sex with Blizzard employees in the conference hotel suites, but the fact that he was

1. In a significant leadership position
  2. Had a private chat where colleagues were organizing bringing girls up there, joking about having sex with them
  3. Advertising the involvement of all of them to people on Facebook which I’d be shocked didn’t consist of some female colleagues (either direct or via friends of friends)

All shows this was out in the open at the company and the type of culture they were fostering.

If this was the only evidence being presented then sure, but it’s not. In the context of all the other things going on (not just with this one guy) paints a pretty bad picture.

Definitely gonna hard disagree with you there.

Published 2006

People knew about this going on.

IT would be the same thing as you saying nobody knew about Harvey Weinsten before the Ronan Farrow piece. Rumors were everywhere, same with the Cosby thing. The 2006 article above goes into graphic detail about what Cosby did.

Additionally, many at the company agree that it was reference to you know what, and while there is some argument about the naming, they talk about drinking and banging chicks in the room

put 2 and 2 together here.

I’m not sure why it matters if the Cosby room was specifically named because he was a rapist or not. The lawsuit alleges actual discrimination and harassment well beyond whatever happened in that hotel room and whether it was legal or not. I don’t see any way Blizzard wins some public opinion battle based on pushing back on this tiny insignificant fact when compared with all the other shit. This all goes away? What?

They knew about Cosby afterwards, but it was broadly known just a year later. I maintain it’s totally plausible it was about his sweater and we should be talking about actual allegations from people who were hurt rather than debating this further.

Public opinion, who knows? The lawsuit certainly won’t go away.

I see the connection between Cosby’s behavior and a sex room. What’s the connection with Cosby’s sweater? And why aren’t they wearing Cosby sweaters?

The explanation was ugly hotel carpets looked like Cosby sweaters. Which seems reasonable, before November 2014.

We can’t see into their hearts, maybe they did know about the Coz and were seriously twisted. But it seems more likely not, to me.

JFC.

This isn’t about some dude enjoying sex. Nothing wrong with that on its own. As KallDrexx notes: context matters.

This was BlizzCon. The women they’d be having sex likely would be either coworkers or fans. Neither of which would be illegal, but most companies I know would consider them red flags especially if they’re paying for the room and the booze - and if it’s an event run by them.

Given that all the folks involved seem to be lead level and we’re talking 2013 and earlier here, chances are the females coworkers had some subordinate position in the team and were possibly reporting to some of the gentlemen in question. Meaning the men also possibly took advantage of their status. Which they’d also do in the case of fans who might be starstruck meeting one of the head honchos of a game they enjoy - wouldn’t refuse of couple of drinks offered by him.

I like that it’s somehow bad to talk about people’s fish-like memory of early 2010s pop culture while More Important Things are happening. Aren’t we all just milling around waiting for Kotick to step down and retweeting employees in another tab?

There are no specific allegations of misconduct at that hotel suite. The name just sounds bad in retrospect and the press picked up on that without examining the timing. That’s my feeling anyway.