How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

Call of Duty 18 - People still buy this?

You missed one, 4 was WW2.

Call of Duty is the most popular first-person shooter on the planet. Since the early 2000’s when the first Call of Duty was released, the series has sold millions. The mega-franchise has generated around $27 billion in sales , making it one of the most profitable video game series of all time.Jun 3, 2021

As of April 2021, the series has sold over 400 million copies.[1] With new games in the series released annually to blockbuster-level sales, the series is verified by the Guinness World Records as the best-selling first-person shooter game series. It is also the most successful video game franchise created in the United States and the third best-selling video game franchise of all time. Other products in the franchise include a line of action figures designed by Plan B Toys, a card game created by Upper Deck Company, Mega Bloks sets by Mega Brands, and a comic book miniseries published by WildStorm Productions.

So…yes.

I was only aware of the popularity of the mega bloks sets

A lot of my fighting game streamer friends have tried diversifying but folks don’t want to stay for it.

One of the hardest things to do as a streamer is to get big* playing a game and then change games.

Variety streamers have a tougher start, but once they get enough critical mass they can basically do just about whatever they want.
Even they will stop playing games that don’t do well for them though. But they have better metrics because it’s what they’ve generally always done.

I’ve watched more than a few Heroes of the Storm streamers basically waste away to nothing. They were pulling in like 1k+ viewers easily on HotS. When it basically died, they tried a variety of things, going to League, variety, League AND variety, FPS, etc. One of them has 60ish viewers now. He was pulling in 1-2k in HotS.

Heck right now I’m watching World of Warships streamers go through a similar process. They hate the game and WG, but they have bills to pay, so they’re streaming Warships. They’re trying to work in variety, but often people just come to watch ships.

Even the biggest single game streamers usually see a hit. Now some can carry through that and come out the other side, but more than a few get spooked and backtrack to their original game.

• big here meaning, big enough to pay the bills, not go full on Asmongold/Disrespect

I don’t know if that’s necessarily true. I’ve seen plenty of once-popular streamers try to switch from the game that built them and they cratered their numbers. I think some folks can get away with playing whatever they want, either they really are that good at being entertaining on their own or they’ve built up enough audience that their stream is the event and not the game per se, and some streamers are too strongly tied to the game that they’re known for.

Variety streamers tend to be personality based, in my experience.

Single game streamers are usually more about game skill/knowledge.

And it’s relatively difficult to transition unless you have a very substantial and dedicated following. I mean Jorbs is very good at Monster Train and poker and whatever else he’s gotten into lately, but he’s still primarily “the really good Slay the Spire guy.”

I don’t envy folks who wind up tied to a game with a dwindling fanbase, but hopefully they’re wise enough to know that trying to make a permanent career of it is precarious at best. Finish school, invest ye Twitch riches (twiches?) millions well, and enjoy it while it lasts.

Its like being typecast in Hollywood. Your screwed by your own success. I once had an interesting conversation with someone after a person burst into the makeup trailer and called him Superman.

I guess there’s only a few people you could’ve had that conversation with. Did you discuss PC Building and Total War? Just to narrow it down, probably wasn’t Cavill. :D

I retired from the bizz at 19… I’m old now. That should narrow it down ;)

Not much a conversationalist on the set but that was one of only a couple times I made him laugh and I was a funny kid. I said something along the lines of “Tell me about it i’m almost 16 but look like i’m 12”.

When I was deep in Hearthstone, one streamer I loved, Savjz, tried to change to Magic Arena. I couldn’t watch anymore. I didn’t know the cards, the meta, the game didn’t make sense.

Turns out he did it because Blizz was abusing his wife. I think she was interviewed in one of the articles. She worked for them, got sexually harassed, spoke up, and Savjz was banned from competitions because his wife was a “problem”. Of course, he had to go back to Hearthstone because he makes his living streaming and his viewership completely abandoned him when he went to Magic. Dude was a top tier Magic player, too. Like won tournaments. Didn’t matter.

That really sucks.

I think I am the odd person when it comes to watching gaming content, because I only watch variety streamers.

I think I am the old person when it comes to watching gaming content because I don’t watch any streamers.

Of course Blizzard denies the whole thing!

Scumbags. Don’t buy their games. Diablo is a fuckin overrated relic of the 90s and you all know it.

I barely watch twitch at all, I mostly just watch YouTube let’s plays

Let’s get this thread back on topic!

clap

dozens_of_us.gif