How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

Y’all, it’s all good and solved now.

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/activision-blizzard-board-directors-continues-build-upon-its

The Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI) Board of Directors today announced that it has formed a “Workplace Responsibility Committee” (the “Committee”), initially comprised of two independent directors, to oversee the Company’s progress in successfully implementing its new policies, procedures, and commitments to improve workplace culture and eliminate all forms of harassment and discrimination at the Company. The Committee is being chaired by Dawn Ostroff, an independent director since 2020. Reveta Bowers, an independent director since 2018, will serve on the Committee. In addition, the Company is working to add a new, diverse director to the Board.

The Committee will require management to develop key performance indicators and/or other means to measure progress and ensure accountability. The Chief Executive Officer, Bobby Kotick, along with the Chief People Officer and Chief Compliance Officer will provide frequent progress reports to the Committee, which will regularly brief the full Board. The Committee is empowered to retain outside consultants or advisers, including independent legal counsel, to assist in its work.

The Activision Blizzard Board is committed to ensuring a healthy workplace in which all employees feel valued, safe, and respected. Our Audit Committee has been kept apprised of developments, including the EEOC and DFEH investigations. The Board supports the numerous steps taken by management since 2018 to improve workplace culture, including centralizing the human resources function in 2019 to ensure greater consistency and accountability, strengthening and increasing training, and, most recently, improving methods for reporting and responding to complaints of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Beginning in October, the Board has been meeting bi-weekly for in-depth assessments on related plans and progress and also now receives detailed written weekly reports. The Board remains committed to helping drive significant, additional improvements.

As announced on September 27, 2021, in an agreement with the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Company, upon court approval of the agreement, will hire an EEO Coordinator; that Coordinator will have a direct reporting line to the Board. The Committee will engage regularly with the EEO Coordinator and an independent EEO Consultant, who will be engaged consistent with the agreement. The duties of these two separate EEO functions will provide transparency both to the EEOC and the Workplace Responsibility Committee.

While the Company, with the Board’s support, has been making important progress to improve workplace culture, it is clear that current circumstances demand increased Board engagement. Formation of the Committee and additional future changes will help facilitate additional direct oversight and transparency and ensure that the Company’s commitments to Activision Blizzard’s workforce are carried out with urgency and impact. This has been a challenging time across the Company, but the Board is confident in the actions underway to set the Company up for future success.

Whew! That’s solved. Now, on to making more money!

And Bobby lives to fight another day!

Yahoo Finance weighs in.

Slightly off-topic, but I find it kind of fascinating that Yahoo Finance is still very much a trusted and active news source for investor types.

I don’t understand why anyone would expect The Game Awards to say anything about this.

Absolutely shocking

It will be interesting to see how many Activision games trailers there are during it though.

The employees just went on strike.

Seeing King in there makes me realize an extra layer of scum and villainy in that org.

I’d tell folks to solidarity/boycott and all that, but I suspect most of us are already doing that, and they haven’t invented the double boycott yet.

Boycott HARDER!

Haha, it’s like King gives us hardcore gamers an escape hatch. “I already refuse to play that free-to-play garbage! Take that, Kotick!”

Now would be the time to boycott, in solidarity with a strike, or if you can’t boycott, drop some bucks to the striking worker’s fund.

I wish I had something of Activision to boycott! I don’t like Call of Duty and I’m not playing WoW, which pretty much eliminates 90% of their catalog.

Guess I’ll just have to throw a few bucks their (ABK Worker’s Alliance) way. Just maybe not Rowan Rowden level of bucks.

Activision with some classic union-busting

BTW, Bulatao was a member of Trump’s state department before becoming Chief Administrative Officer for ABK.

Yeah, that’s straight out of the union-busting playbook all right, the whole “Right to Work” malarkey that presents fundamentally unequal and inequitable individual negotiation as superior to collective bargaining, because freedom or something. Blech.

Yeah, he was Mike Pompeo’s boy, protecting him from investigations when he led the CIA. This sort of thing isn’t necessarily a sign of political allegiance from Actiblizzard, it’s very common to hire former high-level political appointees for executive jobs for the cachet they provide, and Brian had real executive experience.

“Signing an electronic form!”
gasps
consternation

Poor Diablo gets no respect.

Yeah but there’s not much cachet from being a former high level Trump official. Might be just the opposite.

My attempted Activision boycott continues to go very very poorly. First I got Diablo 2 Resurrected in 2021, and then right at the end of the year, I got Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, which I honestly didn’t even realize was an Activision published game in the U.S. until after I bought it and fired it up and saw the Activision logo as the first thing.