How should we arrange the "Game of the Decade" QT3 poll?

Do we have a deadline for this?

I want to make sure I stop rearranging my way too dang long list in time.

No deadline, as we haven’t launched the voting thread yet. ETA in next 2 weeks. After it starts, it’ll be 2 weeks to get in your votes.

Thanks!

I would like to point out that the Top 100 Games thread is still a thing. The Top 100 Games thread doesn’t care what decade your games are from, or if you like silly card collecting games, or if you type up the list in your underwear. The Top 100 Games thread loves you unconditionally and offers warm hugs.

It’s also much easier to come up with an end-of-decade list if you’ve contributed to that thread in recent years.

Here are some rules we’re going with when we get started. We’re doing scoring both ways since I don’t want to make someone drop their considered ranking or rank games when they are already having trouble narrowing down to 10 and don’t have the time to rank them as well.

1. 2 week voting period
  2. 10 games
  3. Rank or don’t rank your games
  4. Scoring for ranked by place: 1st=25 points, 2nd=20, 3rd=15, 4th=10, 5th to 10th=5 (100 points total)
  5. Scoring for unranked: 10 points per game on list (100 points total)
  6. No duplicate game voting to increase points artificially (i.e. my list is 1. Barbie Adventure, 2. Barbie Adventure, 3. Barbie Adventure…)
  7. Formatting will follow the same as quarterlies, except if you aren’t ranking instead of typing
1. **Game 1** - desc
2. **Game 2**
Long desc
3. **Game 3**

you’re going to be typing

* **Game 1** - desc
* **Game 2**
Long desc
* **Game 3**

Eligibility rules

1. Game “released”* in last decade (i.e. January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2019)
  2. Board games and video games (and other games?) are allowed

Consensus rules

1. Provided there is some consensus agreeing with you, EA games are allowed
  2. Please make a consensus with peers for your yearly series games and just vote for the series

Say something now if you want to talk/debate this stuff. I think we’ve covered it pretty well so far but I want to lay it out before we go live with the vote.

* Released is a nebulous concept these days. I think a good rule of thumb is don’t vote for a game that you voted for/would have voted for last decade, or think you’ll be voting for next decade again.

People are going to highly dislike my list, is all I know.

If your final method isn’t my ball I’m taking it and going home! pouts

;-)

Sounds great!

Now I just need to start thinking about my list.

Also, I should play Outer Wilds in the coming weeks, since I suspect that will make my top 10 if I actually played it.

Now I really hope it’s all 10 iterations of <insert yearly sports game> released last decade.

Nah but it has Mass Effect 3 in it!

Just posted a couple edits to those rules to add eligibility stuff.

Here:
Eligibility rules

1. Game “released”* in last decade (i.e. January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2019)
  2. Board games and video games (and other games?) are allowed

Consensus rules

1. Provided there is some consensus agreeing with you, EA games are allowed
  2. Please make a consensus with peers for your yearly series games and just vote for the series

* Released is a nebulous concept these days. I think a good rule of thumb is don’t vote for a game that you voted for/would have voted for last decade, or think you’ll be voting for next decade again.

For my own reference, here is the list of games released between 2010 and 2019 that I played for at least 2 hours, broken down between “actually liked” and “hated” with a sprinkling of “on second thought, I didn’t really enjoy it and stopped because of that and not just because I got busy.”

Actually Liked

• Age of Rivals
  • Boggle
  • Broken Age
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Gone Home
  • Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization V
  • Slay the Spire
  • Sorcerer King
  • Super Mario Party
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  • You Must Build A Boat

Hated

• Sim City (2013)

On Second Thought, I Didn’t Really Enjoy It and Stopped Because of That And Not Just Because I Got Busy

• Adventure Capitalist
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Galactic Civilizations III
  • Guacamelee!
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Rogue Legacy
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Stellaris
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Based on this sorting, I actually get to include more than half of the games I played for more than two hours and more or less kind of liked in my top 10! Yay!

If we include tabletop and boardgames, things become substantially harder. At that point, Fate Core, Powered By the Apocalypse-system games, HEXplore It, Sushi Go, DC Deckbuilding Game, Lovecraft Letter, and Castles of Mad King Ludwig all enter the equation and I actually have to winnow my list by slightly more than half!

Insert a giant bank of SCREAM Emojis here, please.

I feel if I include anything beyond videogames on my list, solving for a top ten will become an impossible task.

I agree. I’m not advocating for a rule change (or even a poll considering it), but I won’t personally be listing boardgames on my list for similar reasons. I’m also murkier on boardgame release dates.

Now you just killing all the fun of this thread. Polls for the poll god!

I have my top 10 games ready (though there are 14 currently). Not sure about ranking since my #1 and 2 are flightsims so it’ll be me, Scharmers, and Schurem including them on our lists and the points may not make a difference.

Well then compromise. Put KSP up there and you can include me on the list too :)

Honestly my 1-3 are pretty much fixed, and I may be the only one to vote for one of them. Though I know I will not be alone for my #1

Eh, I’m more of a Tyranids guy. On the other hand, maybe a poll is in order to see if we need to consider additional polls?

That might be a bit hasty. Perhaps a poll to consider the possibility of considering additional polls, just to suss out how everyone is feeling. Don’t want this to be too much of a rollercoaster ride, a lot of us are old on QT3!