How to learn programming

He should’ve done a bit on void 0 + 1.

They’re almost always on sale for 90% off… it’s their tactic to get you to think you have to buy it RIGHT NOW. If you see one you want to take and it’s not 90% or more off, then wait a few days until it is.

Also, I’m happy to provide GDScript or Godot or Python help. For making early games, the assets all are included with that class. For others, get free assets from Kenney.

THE KOAN OF LEARNING TO PROGRAM

1. Read
  2. Read code
  3. Code

All else is bollox.

PS Wait for the usual 90% off Udemy course on the language of your choice. There are some great instructors on there. I need to finish up that Python one I’ve been going through

I was on the QA team for Delphi 2! You’re welcome!

Man that was a great product. Too bad it was during Microsoft’s “we can and will crush all competition using means both legal and illegal” period.

Nice! It was incredibly easy to use - especially coming from the little Pascal 7.0 I had tried. Almost drag’n drop programming! The UI part, at least.
It was also my first entry into object oriented programming, of which I understood very little!

Thank you! I used to love Delphi. Then moved on to Powerbuilder. Those were the days. I used to enjoy those languages and their UI generators.

The guy who originally wrote Turbo Pascal, Anders Hejlsberg, then designed Delphi, got recruited by Microsoft, where he went on to create… C#. So it’s kind of funny that was one of the first thing suggested in this thread!

I didn’t know that. But I’m not surprised. I love C#. I think it’s a very clean and well designed language. I enjoy working with it day in, day out.

I worked right across the hall from him at Borland! Brush with Greatness!

I don’t know anything about C# except that I once covered an interview for it and when I said I didn’t know any C# my teammate (who I was covering for) said “It’s just like Java, you’ll be fine”, and lo and behold, it seemed just like Java.

…and for that reason alone I hate it. ;)

I love Python, it’s very forgiving and comparitively very easy to learn and use. There are also a billion packages that make it even easier to do specific tasks (personally I find numpy, matplotlib, and astropy invaluable). I spent a lot of time in school learning other, clunkier languages but I’ve never seen any reason to go back.

I mostly self-taught from readily googlable online resources, for whatever that’s worth. Basically just pick a small project and go for it.

I’m a Javascript guy mainly because it is so embedded into the field of graphic arts. Adobe has it integrated, web of course and the specialized tools we use for high-volume printing.

I LOVE what I can do with it. Therefore I LOVE Javascript. I would recommend application being the primary driver for learning unless you are in it for the structure, like a linguist or lit major.

I’ve been really enjoying TypeScript for the last few years. It’s my favorite language right now.
(I’m formerly a C#/Java programmer). Rust looks really interesting. It was Stackoverflows favorite language 2020 (TypeScript was 2nd) and I’d like to poke about and see what the fuss is about.

C# is Java with a stringent, clean, and streamlined API. It’s probably a little too OOP, and has some API models that could be refined back to comprehensibility, but every time they put out a new version of it I’m like: “Yes! That’s exactly what I was looking for!” Just the task oriented async-await threading features in the language are worth the price of admission, but full generics, LINQ and in-line anonymous functions, powerful reflection features all make the language flexible and result in easy-to-read code that is super maintainable. There is no better IDE than Visual Studio, and Windows Forms is the easiest and quickest way to develop a GUI that exists. I don’t think C# is a coders’ language–it’s too bulky and slow, but for someone like me who is code adjacent (I use it to develop testing and monitoring apps for hardware I design) it’s perfect.

You can thank me later.

If anybody just wants to learn some python, this course was just made free:

I luuuuurve the JetBrains IDEs. That said, from what I’ve tried, Visual Studio is also pretty sweet. But it seems to me that CLion’s C++ code analysis is more advanced than Visual Studio’s. (I can’t speak to C#, but I would assume the MS IDE is pretty solid in that regard. And certainly Java (and I assume C# as well) is much easier to do analysis on than C++, in general.)

I think at least part of what put JetBrains on the map was their ReSharper plugin for Visual Studio, which did a lot of things but high-quality code analysis was definitely the main draw. It got so ingrained to my usage patterns I literally could not tolerate using VS without it. I bought a license for it myself when I moved to an employer that didn’t use it. I ended up upgrading to their ‘full’ product suite license a year or two in (since they cut the price each year you renew, and at some point I wanted/needed WebStorm).

I know VS has, in the meantime, added some of the ReSharper stuff outta the box but I still wouldn’t use it without. So Rider was just free icing on my cake when it released a few years back. I dabbled with it and saw little reason to ever go back to VS, especially given the price difference (I buy all my own software now, being a code ronin).

I have been learning to code in an incredibly disorganized and scattershot (but fun) way.

First I took a bunch of Python video courses on Team Treehouse. Then I took a couple of beginning computer science courses at the local community college. Then I took a Udemy course on full stack webdev which incorporated a fair amount of JavaScript. Then I started to focus on the Gamemaker scripting language (GML) since I have been trying to make a game with that tool.

All I can say is that it’s pretty amazing the amount of resources that are available out there now. I also feel that what’s less important than the specific language is getting the basic concepts and understanding how to map out logically what you want to do, then turn that into pseudocode. I would like to attain a deeper understanding that appreciates what’s going on ‘under the hood’ with easier languages like Python, but right now the bigger priority is just making a computer ‘do the cool things’ I want it to do. Which I am sure is an approach that has its drawbacks.

You should look into Krita if you want to do 2d art on the cheap. And maybe come along to the Game Making Tools thread if you do start with Godot. :)