How to recycle old hardware?

While doing some spring cleaning, I found my first video card I believe, over 10 years old. I remember reading that there is a proper way to recycle old hardware but I don’t remember where.

Around here, it’s handled by private companies that are listed in the phone book. They will remove the metal components and usually chuck everything else (at least that’s what the local one does).

If you have entire systems to get rid of, there are usually places around larger cities that will take them in and refurbish them, then give them to non-profit ograniztions or schools. Many of those same places will also recycle outdated or broken equipment to reclaim the materials worth reclaiming and safely discard the rest. Some salvage companies specialize in reclaiming electronic equipment. Do a google search on “recycle computer” and your city name and you’ll likely find one.

Check to see if your town / county waste management folks have a recycling program for your old electronics & PC parts.

There’s an non-prof 'round these parts that takes in old computer equipment (and furniture, and appliances, and electronics, etc), refurbishes it, and sells it at highly-affordable prices in their thrift store. They also provide jobs and training for disadvantaged workers, and have a decent building supply/architectural salvage operation, too. And most donations are tax-deductible.

You might see if there’s an operation like that in your area. There are only 40,000+ in Burlington, and 200,000ish in what the Census Bureau charitably refers to as the Burlington-South Burlington Metropolitan Statistical Area, so, if a population that small can support it…

I could walk in there right now and, for less than $5, have my pick of a box full of TNTs, Voodoo 3s, and S3 ViRGEs. The Internet wants me to pay up to $115 for a ViRGE.

Arise old thread!

Figured I’d bump instead of starting a new one with a similar title.

I recently found out STAPLES takes a ton of stuff for free, I just got rid of 4 old keyboards.

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/sustainability-center/recycling-services/?icid=SustProducts:topnav:3:RECYCLE:

Best Buy also takes a fair amount of stuff.