Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Sorry, haven’t subscribed in like 2 years so maybe I don’t know how it works anymore - it used to be when you signed up you paid for a month and immediately got that particular month when you’d signed up. There’s a pause in that, now? I’m just trying to be super clear before I hit the pay button here. :)

Edit: Just for the benefit of anyone else that’s trying to figure this out, no, you can’t resubscribe without paying for CoD and the other stuff as far as I can tell.

Seems like a pretty good bet to sign up now then immediately pause. Since monthly titles will no longer be hidden, you can decide every month whether you want those games and simply unpause.

The annoying part is that you need to remember to re-pause every month to do it. They are no doubt betting people won’t remember to do that. But I’m fucking Iron Man with stuff like this.

Yeah, I honestly don’t get what’s so hard about remembering to pause as long as it’s always before the last Friday of the month, as it’s been so far.

I wonder if the way it’s going to work now, though, is that they present the whole bundle, and only give you like a week or two to decide.

That can’t be done, or if it can I don’t see any way to do it. I tried and ended up with this month’s bundle by default.

So you already got charged, and for two months to boot? I’d try to reach customer service if you’re not OK with that, in your shoes.

Not for two months, just for this one. Signing up means paying for the COD/Spyro/Crash bundle. I can pause immediately AFTER that to avoid paying for the next one.

Right you do get charged for the November bundle.

Wonder what we did differently. Were you a subscriber before, and did you have a payment method already on file?

My subscription had lapsed a few months back, and when I went to log in and look at it, there was a big button that said resubscribe or something similar. I clicked it, and there was no confirmation prompt or asking for payment method (since it was already on file). It didn’t charge me right away, and I was able to go to Manage My Subscription and pause without issue.

Come to think of it, I may have been on mobile when I reactivated – wonder if that makes a difference.

Huh, I wonder what I did wrong.

I cancelled a couple of years ago but did have a payment method on file from other Humble purchases.

It asked me to confirm my payment method when I hit that button, and upon confirming it it charged me and gave me this month’s bundle. I have absolutely no idea why we got different results based on what you’re saying here.

I was on PC when I did this…

It’s easy here for regulars, but if you don’t see messages reminding you, it’s also easy to forget. Does Humble send you a message reminding you to unsub each month if you don’t like the reveals?

Getting people to sign up for recurring membership fees is a proven strategy. Look at how many business models depend on it. It’s easy to say just remember to cancel or pause, but its human nature to not remember, especially when the fee is somewhat trivial, like the cost of a couple of value meals at McDonalds.

After playing around with deleting my Paypal account from my Humble profile, trying on desktop and mobile to resubscribe and reading a bunch of random useless junk across the internet, I ended up doing this:

1. Chose to subscribe to Monthly
  2. Added my Paypal account
  3. Confirmed I wanted to subscribe
  4. Was taken to the Monthly page and given the option to pay
  5. Scrolled to Manage My Subscription
  6. Successfully paused a month without paying a cent

So it is possible and doesn’t need to be done from mobile.

And that’s what I did wrong, I didn’t see that the management button was accessible from that payment screen.

Well, if it’s any consolation, people swap these Steam keys all the time on Reddit and such.

EDIT: If the Google keyboard “corrects” if to of one more freakin’ time…

If anyone else purchased monthly with a promo awhile back (Kingdom Come + 15 to 40$ for the store) your credit coupon is expiring today / this weekend.

This worked for me too. When I went to Manage My Subscription in step 5, it said the next billing date was 10/25. So do it before then, or just wait until the next bundle.

Should be safe to wait for a little while anyway. Humble said they would release more info about the change before it happens, so it doesn’t sound like they intend to spring it on us by surprise.

Are they offering the 20% discount on the RDR 2 pre-order?

No doesn’t show up with any discount and I’m a monthly subscriber.

Bummer, thanks. Didn’t really expect it though.

Less than 5 hours till the remainder of the reveals. Also possibly the final regular month ahead?

Next humble monthly has been revealed early:

• Soul Calibur VI
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • My Time at Portia