Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Just FYI, Maneater is on PC Gamepass.

I was interested in Endzone earlier, may not get the bundle only for it though. Don’t recognize most of the other games, need to find more info on them.

If your backlog of games hasn’t saved you in the middle of a literal pandemic then there’s no hope.

I mean, there’s still been loads of new games released, and I for one have had less time to play videogames, not more.

Well, after reading the list of titles I was all set to declare I was pausing and to point out my heroic ability to do so without whining like a gamer-baby… But actually there are quite a few charming looking, well-reviewed indie games I’ve never heard of in this bundle! I might even play one or two of them in the next ten years! ALL IN!

I felt like I never got a fair test of this. I was considered an essential worker and never missed a day of driving to work during the pandemic, so nothing really changed for me.

Also, I’d think to truly take advantage of a pandemic I would have to have been single during that time, and out of work. I surely would have made a huge dent in my triple-A backlog at least.

Voidigo looks like the most Nuclear Throne game since Nuclear Throne. I am taking the the overwhelmingly positive reviews with a grain of salt, though, since most of them seem to have been written by borderline illiterate children.

Same here, and after a few months of that I realized I was actually gaming less during the pandemic because I was working more and dealing with more stuff and all I wanted to do at the end of most days was collapse onto the couch and binge some TV with my wife. The backlog will have to wait for retirement, which is still a decade and a half away.

As for this month’s Choice, Endzone looks intriguing, as does Partisans 1941. Together they might even be $8 worth of intriguing, however Endzone also looks a whole lot like Surviving the Aftermath, which I already own and haven’t played much of yet, and Partisans 1941 looks a whole lot like several other games I own and haven’t played, in fact I am up to my eyeballs in strategy titles that I’m really interested in playing but simply haven’t had the time to dive into…

…so the question becomes, do I want to spend $8 to add two more games to the retirement stash?

OK here’s a new one: instead of getting the email saying “you’re unpaused, go choose your December games!” I get one that urges me to “Join now!” and offers me a $99 bucks for a year deal.

Even when I go to the (mobile) site and sign in, same deal.

Maybe they finally “ungrandfathered” me.

Heh, I just took to the subreddit to see if anyone else has reported this, and if I’m not mistaken, your problem seems to have solved itself!

Yeah, that was me: I posted a near clone to the subreddit and it looks like my first login didn’t “take” somehow.

Still the email was weird in that it didn’t acknowledge that I was a Classic subscriber.

I think I finally figured out why Humble Monthly model is leaving me cold almost every month: it is the subscription plan from MS/EA/Ubisoft offering so much more value than some random drop in the Monthly. I would rather pay a bit more a month to play a game I want to play than something that I may or may not like. It is like joining e.g. Netflix for a month just to binge on a Netflix movie or TV series is cheaper than buying the Boxset.

As far as ownership of games is concerned it is kind of irrelevant: I “own” hundreds of games I never play anyway, so “ownership” doesn’t really have appeal as it is. Software “ownership” is merely license to use anyway, not “real” ownership, so it is very close to the subscription model. Rather than buying a license to play a game “forever”, I just buy license to use license to play a game on a monthly basis in the subscription model.

Looks like I’m pausing. While there are some good things here, there’s nothing I was interested in, and at a certain point I just don’t care about endless repetitive variations of genres Indie devs love making. If a game isn’t close to being best in its class, for example, I’ve had my fill of action roguelites and I’m not really interested. Same applies to metroidvanias.

They just sent me the $6/month deal for two months. I don’t think I really want to spend even $6 on the December bundle. I can get better on Fanatical I believe.

So you’re not an ongoing month to month member?

Maybe if I threaten to Pause for a third month in a row they’ll bribe me with the four bucks off. Partisans 1941 looks pretty cool.

I’ve received the $4 off promo offer each time I’ve paused for the last 5 months (now at 6 months total pause time). The first time you pause after having bought the previous month you won’t see it (though sometimes it pops up a $2 off offer), but every month thereafter it should appear until you buy in again.

If I recall correctly from last year, you can gift yourself this if you are a classic member, and it will add 12 extra months to your total.

I paused enough last year though, to not expire until May of 2022.

I tried:
https://i.imgur.com/GSywoix.png
but it failed
https://i.imgur.com/YotALOh.png

Not sure if I am sad or not, as the selection of games has really been hit or miss for months now.

I did this, but opened a new Humble account with a new email. So now I just need to remember to pause one or both accounts each month, which I think is worth it to get it for £6ish/month.

Nope. Haven’t purchased one in quite some time, but they have me on their email list. Six dollars for the bundle is a decent deal, but I have hundreds of unplayed games and six dollars is money I can put towards something else. If there was one game in December bundle that looked like something I might be eager to try I’d get it, but everything looks meh to me.