Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

The things you learn!

Certainly two odd hills to choose to die on.

Never would have expected to find such stirring drama in a humble bundle thread of all places.

Ideally the thread will be a place for people to be able to say “last month’s was great value!” or “I don’t think last month’s was worth it” without the other camp taking up arms.

Personally, to me and me alone, my heavily disclaimered opinion is that the bundles have not been worth it very often. I have a backlog and it’s rare for me to get a game from my yearly humble monthly subscription that makes me say “I am going to play this right now.” If I was 15 years younger I think it’d be the best deal in gaming.

Yup. I haven’t bought a monthly in something like a year and a half (the Stellaris one is the last time I was subscribed). Certainly there was a run there of great stuff (I got Dragon’s Dogma through a monthly, and it’s an all-time favorite) but for the last while there’s been a mix of things I already have and things I don’t want. Their not being to my taste does not, of course, impugne the bundles themselves. I can certainly see how for someone with broader tastes and a smaller library they’d be incredible.

I tried out Slipstream and put it in CRT NTSC mode. Made me feel like I was playing Outrun on my Amiga back in the day. Good times. Worth checking out.

I paused for this last bundle, but indeed, Slipstream looked fun, if only for the nostalgia value.

I don’t get nostalgia heavy games like Slipstream. Old looking games without great graphics? ok, because graphics aren’t the most important thing, but going that retro don’t have any function or reason… beyond having a nostalgia trip that is going to maintain itself for 20 minutes. Beyond 20 minutes is going to get old.

wow, thanks for the Northgard recommendation, I was looking for a colony builder / small scale RTS … this month is really good. I paused, because of backlog etc. fortunate that this thread pops up regularly!

From what I remember of the Kickstarter, Slipstream was a one-man show so “being able to make the game” is another potential reason for not going all out on the graphics.

Trove +4

• 20 Minute Metropolis
  • Avadon 1: Black Fortress
  • Overture
  • Wheels of Aurelia 1978

Avadon is fantastic.

I like two of the three reveals so that might be enough to resub, but the idea of looking at a bundle and wondering if you will play any of the games anytime soon and judging the value based on that is real for many.

It’s like buying food and not eating it and throwing it out because you keep buying new food. At some point if you have 300+ unplayed games in your backlog, why add more? Just keep games you want on a wishlist and sooner or later you will see most of them reduced to bargain prices.

One last comment: The Humble Bundles can be a great value, but if they are so great why not let people buy them after seeing the whole reveal? The reasoning behind concealing the bundle seems to be that if it was revealed they’d get fewer sales. What does that tell you?

Lol, with that thought it would be… never mind bundles, I wouldn’t buy any game at all, nor most people here. The reality is different.

Even if I limit myself to wishlisted games, the monthly bundle is still a better method to get them, as the it’s the equivalent to have a game fall to a bargain price, but reaching that stage one year before than usual.
edit: of course, it may be because I have wishlisted too many damn games, more than my time allows, lol

There’s a big part of it that’s the “I’m gonna miss out if I don’t get this” feeling, while rationally I know the chances of having enough time to finish all the games is not probable.

I’ve said this before, but I use the Humble Monthly to control my spending on games. Sure, it’s a guaranteed $12/mo, but I’ve basically stopped buying anything else because it might show up in the HM. It’s cut my annual games spending in half.

I look at it is do I think the revealed stuff is worth the money? If so, get, if not, it’s probably shovelware that’s not revealed so why bother?

Yeah, I don’t buy unless I think the reveals are worth my $12. It’s a trivial amount of money but I could literally spend zero and still have enough interesting games to play for the next few years. In some ways it’s crazy to even buy more games.

Unless you consider the risk of boredom to be greater than the risk of poorly spending $12, in which case it would be crazy not to buy more games.

Sure, except I can spend that $12 in a lot of ways other than games to get entertainment. The Humble Monthly is competing with books, the $5 Tuesday movies, Netflix, Prime, etc.