Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

In my opinion Humble Bundle died years ago when they switched from DRM free to Steam only bundles. It’s just that now you can see the flies above the corpse.

I’m sure they didn’t buy it with the explicit intention of ruining it. But then I’m sure EA doesn’t buy companies with the intention of ruining them either.

Thinking about this critically for a bit - my guess is that the plan would be use the Humble bundles & stores to drive organic traffic to IGN and keep the site relevant and attractive to advertisers.

I’d expect things like special videos & articles previewing upcoming bundles to be posted in IGN (vs. a subpage in the humble store) and new game reviews in IGN linking to the Humblestore for purchase going forward.

Well, IGN’s previous foray into this space was Direct2Drive. Memories include crappy interface and losing most of your games when they sold it to Gamefly. They say Humble Bundle is remaining an independent entity though, lets hope it stays that way.

Heh. Every company always says that when they’re acquired. It very, very rarely turns out that way.

Pretty sure Humble Bundle announced it was having financial difficulties just a little bit (as I remember it) before they introduced the Humble Monthly offering. I think they were appealing for people to put funds into the “Humble Tip” option when paying.

Interesting thanks! Didnt know that.

As someone who used to sell games on direct2drive AND on impulse, and STILL gets angry emails from customers of those stores somehow blaming me that neither store will allow them to re-download games they bought…
This does not fill me with optimism.
Has any online games store ever been bought by a large company and its worked out ok?

Let’s see… uh… hmmm…

No.

I can still download games from Impulse… I think. I mean, I have back ups. In general, I am pissed that I wasn’t given the means to get the games from a different vendor after impulse was sold, especially the games that belonged to stardock it’s self.

I guess that’s why I prefer humble bundle to be through steam.

I was able to log into Stardock Central and download Stardock’s games just fine after the switch, using the same email and password I had with Impulse before it was sold.

I have dozen of games on my Humble account that I still haven’t downloaded or used the keys for yet, simply because I got them as part of bundle for another game I was playing right away. I figured I’d let the keys sit there until I decided I wanted to use them or give them away.

But I suppose now I’d better claim every single of those games soon before I am somehow unable to claim them anymore.

Yup, sounds like a plan. Because trusting IGN to do this right is not something I’m willing to do.

Totally wouldn’t happen. Totally.

Monthly goes live on Friday, wonder what good stuff they will put in.

Everyone I know personally put holds on their subscriptions for this month. :p

I’m in this month. Having a Steam-tied copy of ESO was worth the $12 for me, and the 750 Crowns was a nice bonus. Looking forward to seeing what else I get as an “extra” this Friday.

I keep going back and forth. On the one hand ESO is a game I’ve been wanting to play for a long while. On the other hand I have a massive shortage of time and I just started playing Destiny 2 (due to friends) and Mario is sitting in the corner taunting me. I have no idea if I’ll ever get to it.

I was kind of excited to get Quake Champions myself, but ESO on my Steam account is nice too since my son just went through a massive headache getting it reinstalled from the disc version we owned.

That was my issue. I own an original ESO retail package, pre-Tamriel Unlimited even, which makes re-installing, patching, configuring account login and then patching some more a huge hassle. $12 to resolve that issue, especially with $8 worth of Crowns thrown in, was a no-brainer for me.

That said, I’m hoping for a tasty secondary game in the reveals, something from my wishlist like Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers or Expeditions : Viking.