Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age - Crytek, co-op monster hunting

I played a match last night and found this off-putting as well. I wish you could do an all-solo match.

In the match I played my partner was really helpful and experienced. However my experience involved two instances of getting shot from someone I couldn’t see (ARMA style) and laying in a half-dead state (which involves staring at a black screen) until my parter survived and revived me.

I am really on the fence with this one. Half of me thinks I should refund it on Steam (i have about 60 minutes left before the 2 hours are up) and wait for the game to season and get more feedback. The other half of me was really intrigued in the experience (despite the problems), the setting, the weapons, and the general hardcore STALKER-like vibe of the game. Everything seemed more methodical. You can’t just fire your weapon in a moment of panic. You have to right-click to ready/aim the gun and then left-click to fire.

So I was left a bit uneasy about the development path forward but really intrigued about some of the concepts and ideas. If Crytek gets this right it could be something special, but there are a lot of ways for it to go off track. They do need to troubleshoot the ganking issue.

So I played a lot more of this and I am leaning strongly to thinking that Crytek have something special here. Last night I only meant to dabble in one small session and ended up spending most of the evening playing the game then still thinking about it after I closed it down.

I feel like Hunt took some of the best aspects of DayZ, PUBG, Resident Evil, The Evil Within, and concepts from the Arkham Horror style board games. It’s multiplayer but more intimate and of smaller scale than PUBG. Encounters with other players skew towards the rarer side but are fierce clashes that may end as fast as they start.

The real winner here is the environmental design filled with imaginative grotesque creatures that put some of Resident Evil’s best to shame. Sound design is very important as any noise may attract the hulking beasts that stalk the level or other players. Floor boards creak, chains dangle from rafters everywhere, broken glass crunches underfoot, and rusty hinges on doors groan. Other examples are more imaginative. I was creeping through stables and a field of dead horses. Decaying horse carcasses litter the field and a few zombie like creatures were hunched over the bodies tearing into the flesh. I was creeping through this gruesome scene and one horse that was still alive but whimpering started a wide-eyed panic neighing as I crouch-walked past it. The sound was quite gut wrenching by itself but also alerted all nearby monsters (and players if any were near).

I have stalked players through levels, ambushed some louder careless ones, been ambused myself, and had some interesting gun fights. I have mostly been playing solo so I am at a disadvantage against 2-player teams but I still hold my own and have sprung some effective traps against teams. Most matches I end up dead but that is because I have been playing aggressively…that kicks in the rougeish element where I lost my hunter and carried gear but still gain experience and money for the long-term enterprise. One can play more carefully and avoid PVP encounters, gather a lot of clues, rack up experience tackling the monsters in the level, and extract oneself before the match ends to save your Hunter and gear. You don’t need to complete the primary objective in the match to have a tense enjoyable time and accrue longterm progression.

The gun designs are really something. Lever action rifles that have razor blades on the lever that allow brutal melee attacks or revolvers with improvised silencers or larger than life cylinders. Your character won’t auto reload and manual reload animations are long. It’s nerve wracking to be firing a revolver and then hear the click click click of empty cylinders while a creature is bearing down on your position.

I can’t wait to inhabit more of this imaginative, disgusting, decaying world and learn of the lore and discover more narrative vignettes scattered about the landscape. I like that some recent titles like Hunt Showdown or Escape from Tarkov are taking the DayZ/PUBG model and refining it and pushing it into other genres like survival horror or STALKER.

I’ve only been playing one map during the (in-game) day. I’ve been a little hesitant to try the nighttime versions which will be a whole different experience.

All of that aside this is still Early Early Access. I have had server desyncs, server disconnects, I fell through the level geometry, and my FPS has been low. I have a GTX 970 and an I7 and I have been struggling to maintain above 40 FPS even when turning the settings down to low with AA off…this is a Crytek game on the CryEngine after all. Despite that I have still enjoyed my time here.

Seems they are gonna work on the issue of people camping and getting the cheap win at the end.

Also its doing alright at 3k players a day.

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=hunt+showdown

I’m very interested in the game, but sadly just don’t have the pc to handle it and also fear I can’t handle m/kb much more with my arthritis getting worse. (for whatever reason gamepad doesn’t bug me much)

I’ve enjoyed the time I spent with it and cannot wait to play more but in typical Crytek fashion the game is very poorly optimized at this point. Even with most settings turned down my I7 GTX 970 is struggling to stay above 40 FPS. I still find that quite playable, but it is something to note. I hope they will better optimize the game during development.

Crytek just released a notable Performance-focused patch for Hunt: Showdown.

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but worth a mention for anyone that was having previous performance hiccups.

Patch highlights

Performance improvements:

This round of fixes is designed to address most of the severe performance issues that have been reported, with a specific focus on stalling and stuttering as well as optimizing heavy CPU and RAM usage by Hunt. Our goal with this update is to improve the overall performance for everyone, before working on optimizations aimed at increasing the framerate across the board. Some users may experience a jump in framerate, while some may see only minor increases. Everyone should encounter a more stable and stutter free gameplay experience.

We will continue to work on performance as we move forward as well as providing additional support for performance tweaking later down the line.

We want to extend our thanks to you all for your patience and support as we worked to resolve these issues. Thank you!

Any ideas whether performance is REALLY better? ;) Loved the idea of the game. Cheating, teaming and performance were my big issues in the beta

E3 stuff:

Oh, hey. Please remember that we exist.

It’s still in early access, and has, what, around 2k concurrent players on average which equals to ~50k unique players a day? It may be niche, like the genre it represents, but I don’t think it’s forgotten at all.

Bought it several days ago. First it was too much horror for me, so I considered a refund. But at last I got used to the horror so there just remains a creepy atmosphere, which I enjoy more and more. So it’s not a horror game. And it’s not an overly complex game like I imagine Escape from Tarkov. It’s actually easy to learn and well, it seems, quite hard to master; like there are certain pathes on the map that lead from point to another without lots of fighting and making noise etc. But the shooter part is straightforward and even I get kills and usually experience real fire fights - in contrast to get shot all the time out of nowhere or using wrong weapons cause you don’t know weapons. So that’s the second pleasing aspect. (And camping seems no longer a big issue since they introduced a mechanic so that the one who got the bounty can spot others for a certain time).

Well I am really surprised by this. AntediluvianArk actually described it very well. I just wanted to recommend it to those who don’t shoot very well and are a bit scary like myself. Because what you get is a multiplayer game with a sense of ‘hunting’ (scouting, quietly moving vs. running, planning ahead etc.)/ adventuring through a nightmarish landscape/ slower paced PvPvE. It really is quite unique.

It also seems to have a neat progression system. Not sure how I feel about losing a hunter… so far I am in rookie mode which means I can’t lose my hunters. But there is an overarching progression (your ‘Bloodline’) in any case (from which every new hunter benefits).

Playbase seems stable. 3k+ peak, 2k on average.

I still wish this game was only PvE , it continues to look great.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of PvP in games where the others can have significantly better gear and weapons than you. This is also the reason I uninstalled Escape From Tarkov, a game I would’ve loved if it wasn’t so fucking unfair.

@lordkosc
You could think of the other players as KI… 8 very capable roaming enemies. I think other (hostile) hunters are essential to the game design since it’s also very much about you being hunted and since it’s partial hide and seek. Human players still can play theses games best. And there’s ‘matchmaking’ at least.
I can’t imagine a KI for this game that wouldn’t get figured out… and beaten all the time.

This is free this weekend. I DLd it and played a bit yesterday. Love the atmosphere and had a few code brown moments. Played solo and ran into other players a few times, but usually got dead by monster. Even so I accomplished enough each time to feel it was worth it. Stumbled into a targets lair early on in one game. It…it didn’t end well.

Does it try to team you up with someone if you join solo?

I’m not sure if that’s an option. Default is not teaming up with someone if you’re solo.

This is also in Game Preview on Xbox One, so it has an hour of free play there as well.

I played solo, but there was an option for pairing with another rando, or a friend. Didn’t try those. It didn’t try and force me into a group when I’d picked solo.

Oh this can be played solo - does it work well?