I Heart Uncharted

Ah, Wahlberg is going to destroy another legendary game…
Damn, I liked the guy, but…

It’s exactly like casting Sly in a Shadow on the Colossus movie, except in the character had been very obviously created with Bruce Willis in mind.

Which isn’t fair to Stallone, given the some of the things he has done in his acting career, like Copland, or his screenwriting credits. It’s not that I don’t like Wahlberg either, I just don’t see how anyone ranks him as a better actor than Fillion. Exec-producing “Entourage” isn’t the same as writing “Rocky”.

The above two posts make me feel like I have been taking crazy pills.

It’s pretty clear that alex a) dislikes Uncharted and b) is trolling. Fuck him and fuck this thread.

Tentpole? In what world will an Uncharted movie be a tentpole movie?

I’ve played Uncharted for all of twenty minutes and unless it transformed into something wildly abstract, I feel I am correct in not regarding him it high-art. The Uncharted games look like very solid wannabe movies, which makes turning them into movies out of them redundant.

I am imagining this will have a near nine-figure or a nine-figure budget.

Boogie Nights

The fuck? Neither of those actors are viable Nathan Drakes, and none of Wahlberg’s performances indicate he can do this character justice.

This is a dumb video game series that isn’t much more than a wannabe Indiana Jones.

It’s an extremely well-written wannabe Indiana Jones series with great movie adaptation potential, which deserves more than what it’s obviously getting here.

Also, Nathan Fillion was never going to get this role and rightfully so; he would rise above his cult niche if he were truly a great performer.

Nathan Fillion is perfect for the role, in part because the role was based on him. One does not have to be a “great performer” to be great at playing one particular part. A great performance as Nathan Drake was not going to catapult Fillion into the “Venerated Great Actor” category, but it would have been casting the right person in the right role, which is far more important than Russell getting to work with the one A-list actor in Hollywood who is willing to sign on for more than one picture with him.

Every single statement you make in this thread is stupid. Uncharted doesn’t have to be high art for Russell to be fucking it up already. Chocolate chip cookies aren’t haute cuisine but you can still ruin them if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Boogie Nights

What in the goddamn fucking hell does playing Dirk Diggler have to do with turning in a believable performance as a wise-cracking adventuring rogue figure with a heart of gold? Nothing in Wahlberg’s past indicates he is capable of being Nathan Drake.

End of story, folks. Kill the lights, everyone head home. He played it for a whole twenty minutes, says that if Nathan Fillion was a good actor he’d rise above his niche and that Date Night is an example of a movie that shows off what a great action star Wahlberg is. alex is fucking with us.

Since we’re talking about alex, I look forward to the Dark Knight Rises.

I don’t think he is. Didn’t he reveal that he was in his early 20s? He just has the incredibly delusional conviction of youth.

You’ve played a game for 20 minutes, and that lets you think you know if it’ll be a good movie? Alex, seriously, stop trolling and GTFO.

Again, you are running with the assumption that Russell isn’t changing the character drastically. I wouldn’t be surprised if Russell wrote the role specifically for Wahlberg to work to his advantages as an actor.

I like the work of David O. Russell, and unlike some people here, I’m not going to prejudge this film and reject it based on the merits of something else because some Oscar-nominated talent is getting involved in it.

Right, because that’s something you reserve for Christopher Nolan.

I think I agree with this, at least. And I’m not saying he is or isn’t perfect for this role, maybe he is, maybe he isn’t. And I’m not saying he’s not good for the roles he does get. But he’s not a big name, and whether the role was written for him or not doesn’t tend to matter as much as who the people calling the shots think will get people into the theater.

How does this in any way contradict my statement that Wahlberg can’t play Nathan Drake correctly? You understand that if you change a character drastically, it is no longer that character, right?

I like the work of David O. Russell, and unlike some people here, I’m not going to prejudge this film and reject it based on the merits of something else because some Oscar-nominated talent is getting involved in it.

Somewhere, Christopher Nolan is busting a gut laughing.

And using “Oscar-nominated” as some kind of proof of quality. Hoo boy, you’re on fire today, dude.

I went into Inception completely ambivalent and was disappointed that Nolan didn’t make a leaner, more entertaining film; I’ll probably see The Dark Knight Rises and hope Nolan learns his lesson about excess. As evidenced by Batman Begins and the cafe scene in Inception where the world deconstructs, Nolan has potential as a filmmaker.

And I don’t care about this. It’s generally agreed that there’s no profound social or political subtext to the games, aside from some loose, seemingly absurd arguments about eerie colonial undertones. Russell possibly changing this to a story about antique shop owners in New York is not exactly like Aronofsky overlooking the brief section in Requiem where Selby rails against the inefficacy of institutions of healthcare and blames them for Sara’s ultimate fate, and even that didn’t detract much from the masterfulness of Aronofsky’s film.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what Russell does within the framework of a tentpole.

Yes, maybe some day he’ll be able to make a movie as good as Memento. Oh, wait.

I’ll be sure to let him know you think he’s got a shot at the big time.

And I don’t care about this.

Then why are you in this thread?

It’s generally agreed that there’s no profound social or political subtext to the games, aside from some loose, seemingly absurd arguments about eerie colonial undertones.

Because it’s an action adventure flick. Nobody is asking Indiana Jones to wax philosophical beyond “Nazi bad, America good” here.

Russell possibly changing this to a story about antique shop owners in New York is not exactly like Aronofsky overlooking the brief section in Requiem where Selby rails against the inefficacy of institutions of healthcare and blames them for Sara’s ultimate fate, and even that didn’t detract much from the masterfulness of Aronofsky’s film.

Good god you’re a pretentious twat.

But you’re right, it’s not like that. It’s like if Indiana Jones was actually a film about an archaeology professor. And that’s it.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what Russell does within the framework of a tentpole.

It’s always interesting to see exactly how a train wreck unfolds, yes. No argument there.

Director David O. Russell on why he’s so keen on making an Uncharted movie:

“This idea really turns me on that there’s a family that’s a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities … [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice,” he said.

oh god.