I may have done the nerdiest thing in my life

I’ve been thinking for days on this one, as I’m a total nerd and there’s just such a wealth of potential #1 nerdiest moments in my life. Then the obvious choice smacked me in the face:

So I played lots of games with my friends. Tabletop, video, RPG… and one baseball game we made up whole cloth (using dice), with imaginary players, teams, etc… We’d each own a team, set lineups, make trades, do free agency bidding, and what not. This went on for years, often playing through several seasons in each. It was great fun.

Time went on, we went to different colleges, people started getting in serious relationships, etc… Basically, it eventually died. But I missed it.

So I went to college, studied computer science, and used my evolving knowledge of C++ to make a baseball management game… often in the middle of class. Little bits of that code and the concepts behind it now live on elsewhere (handed off to someone far more skilled than me). I never finished my comp sci degree (nor physics, philosophy, etc. until I finally knocked out my Psych requirements and headed off to grad school), but I still feel those classes were time well spent.

We spent hours setting up some crazy Star Fleet Battles scenario only to have it end after about four turns. Too many players and no coordination. Let’s just say it is a bad idea to face a raft of drones without having figured out who was responsible for drone defense.

Oh, that was fabulous. In the completely opposite direction, I never did write up the quick-combat rules I still have vaguely in mind for Titan (The Monster Slugathon Fantasy Wargame™, natch) to make that silly thing more bearable. Super fun until a combat happens and everyone else gets to chill while the two people fighting slowwwwwwly resolve their battle.

Heh, on a similar note, I one wrote up a dice-focused combat system for Magic Realm. I finally figured out the way the whole thing worked (using Realmspeak, a PC program), and realized it was overcomplex for 99% of use cases. So I made a system where you chuck dice at it in an effort to speed up the process. Good times.

I was at a con in the 70s. My friend and I had gotten a bunch of Thorazine pills. We had no fucking idea what they did. But drugs, right? So we took a few each. So I’m walking around the dealers area, looking at stuff. when I see a game called Lensman. It was a game based upon the EE Doc Smith books. I wanted to buy this game. By this time, these anti-psychotic meds are kicking in. I was in another world. To an outsider it would seem that I was on heroin. I was totally wasted.

I ended up arguing with the guy about the price for some reason. I’m pretty sure he sold it to me at a loss just to get the fucked up guy away from his table.

So then me and my friend Jay decided to take the train home. The F train for you New York people from the 70s. We ended up at HoytSchemerhorn on the A train. Totally nodding out and fucked up. Eventually we made it home.

The whole time I knew that I had to hang on to the bag with the Lensman game. Because it was IMPORTANT.

I still have the map, taped to the back of a stolen aluminum street sign. The pieces are long gone.

BTW. I had some great games with that set. Maulers and shit. That game was the best.

I swear I will buy your damn book should you ever write it.
I mean, you’ve written a lot already here, but it’s so disorganized and chaotic. And scattered all over the forum.

I wanted to find the photo my dad took before I posted this, but I don’t have it. After he died, someone else has it I’m sure.

Anyway, not sure if this qualifies for nerdiness, but I twice built my own full-sized pinball machines. Everything I know about electricity, I learned from those projects. Pure trial and error, and several good shocks.

The first time, I was in my mid-teens (1975 or so), and I was obsessed with pinball. Every bit of money I could get hold of was spent at the bowling alley feeding quarters to the machines. I wasn’t fussy. If the table had a decent design and compelling play, I loved it. I remember two of my favorites from that time were Williams’ “Triple Action” and “Skylab”. Williams’ tables had the best action, I thought. Followed by Bally, and then Gottlieb. I liked Gottlieb tables well enough, but most of them were too unfair, I thought.

At school, I’d spend all of my study halls designing tables. I designed hundreds or thousands of them over the years. I could tell at a glance how each one would play.

I finally decided to put one of my favorite designs to the test. I saved up and bought a bunch of lumber, cut it to size, and built the table. Everything was adjustable, including the legs, and the angle of the table surface. I had no actual pinball machine parts, so I bought a bunch of electric motors and other parts (including a counting unit for scoring) from the local surplus center, and bought a bunch of wire from … somewhere. Luckily, I guessed right on the gauge of wire; no fire was ever started. The lights were from our Christmas tree lights. My flippers were totally mechanical, but I figured out how leverage worked, and perfected the design so they actually had good power. Hell, the entire table actually worked, and was moderately fun to play, but lacked the power of thumper-bumpers and solenoids.

Later, in my 20’s, I got hold of an actual used functioning real pinball machine (“The Black Hole”) for $150, and decided to try another one of my designs.

This time, I was smarter. Having a working table to begin with made things so much easier. All I had to do was remove the components from the play board, and then the board itself. Then buy one 3/4" sheet of plywood, cut it to size, lay out the play-field, drill the holes, and install all the old parts where I wanted them. By then I had found our local pinball supplier, and had ordered other parts I needed through them.

When I was finished, it was glorious. Everything functioned exactly as it should. Dad was so impressed with my wiring that he took a photo of the underside of the play-field, which was indeed impressive, as I was the only person in the world who knew what everything did.

Unfortunately, when I went to hook up the digital audio (it was one of the early digital machines), I blew out a board, which also took out the scoring capabilities. As I was unable to locate another board, I trashed the project, after almost a year of work.

I left my MD/PhD program after 7 years to publish a tabletop rpg. Nothing else I do is ever going to top that.

@Giles_Habibula that’s awesome, sir. bows

I think Lensman is the first SF wargame ever made.

Just in case there was any doubt:

There has always been something magical to me to people who mastered the arts of electronics. A bit like woodworkers, something fascinating. But making your own pinball… Woah…
I remember when I was around 8, putting a tape recorder with a tape I had recorded from the Knight Rider broadcast inside a carton box, put a couple of lights I grabbed from one of the boxes of electric junk of my grandad, and called the whole thing my own portable Kitt (I seem to remember an episode where the car was destroyed and Kitt was carried around in such a way?). Anyway that was quite pathetic and not worthy of any parental praise!

As for @RichVR, if no books is in the works, there should be at least a regular podcast.

Adam_B, I need that BG2 notebook in my life…

In this thread, I suffer impostor syndrome because I -think- I’m a gamer but everyone around me has actually designed a game of some sort. One day, they will call me out on my worthless credentials.

Username checks out. ;)

Dunno if that’s better or worse than delaying starting one’s real career for ten years to write about video games, heh.

Designing and building your own pinball machine. Oh, hell yes! And mad props to you for pulling it off.

I was about to step up in solidarity and say I’ve never designed a game and then I realized … hey I did! Back in the early 80s, I was a massive fan of Infocom’s adventure games and I remember creating a fairly simple BASIC language text adventure that didn’t have much going on. Only a few locations, straightforward puzzles, the most simplified parser. But it worked, dammit! I was so proud.

I ported the base code and designed and added a few new zones for a MUD I ran back in the day, will that count?

When I was really young I got into text adventures and only knew Logo so I set about trying to program a text adventure in Logo.

Didn’t get very far in the actual coding but I also had a notebook describing the game which was somewhat significant.

Hell yeah it does! Say it loud, say it proud!

Woohoo! I’m back in!

I ported SMAUG Mud code from, at that time I think, linux to hp-ux. Package libraries were’t very much of a thing back then so a lot of grooming over the code to get it to compile on hp-ux was needed. Once things were running, the default SMAUG load didn’t have much in the way of base zones, so several were added and I handed the reins over to a couple of admins/GMs. I played on several MUDs/MUSHes back in the day, but the day to day of an admin is a long term task.