I Need a New Vacuum Cleaner

Here’s a refurb for $200. Shipping’s only six bucks. Move it or lose it.

Edit: Wow they went out of stock like instantly as I was typing this.

Edit2: OK, here’s a refurb DC07 instead, also $200.

… then you’d better speak to a sales associate first. I was recently told that BB&B was prohibited by the manufacturer from accepting those coupons for Miele vacuum cleaners (also mentioned upthread). I didn’t ask about Dysons, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a similar policy.

I second this vacuum. It is fantastic and was a Best Buy in Consumer Reports a few years ago.

Yeah, that’s what we did. Picked up a DC07 last week. I was kinda skeptical about spending that much on a goddamn vacuum cleaner, but my wife really wanted it.

Turns out the thing works super-well and is less of a pain in the ass to use than the old cheap dying vacuum we had. Totally worth the $300 or so.

Oh, and BB&B definitely does take the 20% coupons for Dysons; that’s where we got ours.

We also have a Roomba, and it’s pretty nice and all, but it tends to get confused by our furniture so it gets stuck sometimes and doesn’t end up cleaning the whole room. That kinda sucks. It’s nice that it reduces the frequency with which we need to use a real vacuum, but I wouldn’t rely on one as my primary vacuum. For one thing, if you have carpeted stairs, the Roomba won’t help you at all. It’s also not very good with height changes, so it handles carpeting better way than mixed floor types.

I know it’s not on your list, but I will get me a Kirby someday. My mom has one as a wedding present; it’s lasted 37 years. And can brain an intruder if necessary, then continue vacuuming. Try that with a Dyson.

Dysons generally don’t outperform cheaper brands in tests. The cyclonic separators are cool, but standard vacuum is old and cheap technology and you don’t need to spend a lot to get results.

I suspect Dyson owners are overcompensating for buying some piece of shit, because they know that with Dyson, they’re not going to get a lemon.

A real problem is that the other brands spurt out dozens of different models with near-identical names. As a result, it’s impossible to tell a good one from the bad without research. Some of the Hoover widepaths, for example, are junk. The model I suggested, though, is excellent, and widely recognized as such. But it’s not at all sexy.

Fucked vacuum cleaners are often just in need of a quick user servicing. Check the belt, check for hair or fabric snarled around mechanisms, or even just take it apart and clean it out.

Citation requested.

Spending $500.00 on a vacuum cleaner is just wrong in my opinion. If I spend $100.00 on a machine that does the job 90% as well as one that costs five times that amount, I consider myself to have made a good purchase. .

If it’s not too late to add to this thread, I recently did some research on this subject and reached the conclusion that Dyson’s are good but a little over-hyped and over-priced.

I did not want to spend that much on a vacuum (though I might have been tempted by a refurbished one) so I bought the Hoover S3765-040 WindTunnel Electronic Bagless Canister Vacuum for about $180 on Amazon. (List price $350.00) Consumer Reports had good things to say about this model as did the customer reviews on Amazon.

I’ve only used it once so far but it is better than any vacuum I’ve ever had. (That’s not saying much.) It’s a little bulky but then, a lot of vacuums I’ve had in the past are as well. The speed at which the bagless canister filled up with all sorts of horrid stuff vacuuming a carpet that looked perfectly clean to me made an impression. I may hate it in a month but based on what I’ve read about it, probably not.

Oh, I have a Roomba, too. It’s not bad, but not great. It’s more a sweeper than a vacuum. We have a small carpet in the kitchen in front of the sink with tassel thingies on it, the Roomba gets stuck on them.

So, between picking up the kitchen carpet, tidying the room and picking up the cat toys (4 cats, zomg)… eh. Running the Roomba almost feels like work, you know?

Just saw this advertised on BBC America.

That thing needs to turn up in Fallout 3 somewhere.

I have a Miele and the Dyson Animal, and I like them each. The Miele is much easier to get around being less bulky than the Dyson, has the nifty retractable power cord, is considerably quieter, and has a better carpet roller. The Dyson is just as powerful as the Miele, you don’t have to worry about bags, and it’s fun watching shit swirl around. I think the Miele was considerably more expensive, at least the version I got.

Multiple housekeepers however hate the Dyson but near shriek in delight when they see the Miele. Other than size I don’t get that, but I don’t clean for a living either. Also, if something goes wrong with either the Dyson can be a pain in the arse to get fixed, where as both Miele dealers we have had to deal with are amazingly accommodating.

Man, that looks really good, RB. I like the mini-head attachment. Have you used that? Does it work well? I may end up going with this one.

I’ll third it. Dysons are okay, but are not really any better than Eureka or Bissel $150-200ish range vacuums. They are a product of slick marketing, honestly. I’ve used my mothers 500 dollar Dyson, and it cleans no better than my 150 dollars Eureka upright. Consumer reports consistently marks them in the top ten, but usually interspersed with other, much less expensive vacuums. I can say they are extremely well made, and might be worth it if you live with a lot of shedding animals and will put the thing through its paces.

Also, the Dyson Ball is kind of fun to use.

Dyson himself invented the bagless cleaner and set up his own company to sell the device (since none of the established vacuum manufacturers wanted to give up the revenue stream from bags). So you paid more because Dyson had to recoup his investment and you would save money from not having to buy bags, compared to every other model. Today there’s a bunch of copycats so you might get a cheaper model that’s just as good, true.

Dyson made his first bagless vacuum cleaner in 1983. They sold for $2000 each in 1991. Nobody else made a bagless vacuum until 1999. Today his company has $6 billion in sales per year.

For his sake, I sure hope he is not still in the process of recouping his initial investment.

You people bagging on Dyson are insane. We’ve saved money with ours just because we haven’t been buying a new vacuum every two years. Our Dyson is awesome and it isn’t just because it sucks. It’s all the little things – the bagless container where the bottom drops out, the extra long cord, the convenient doggy attachment that works great on the steps.

“Bagging on Dyson,” get it???

Today’s Woot is a refurbished Dyson plasma gun!

That’s the only head attachment I haven’t used yet but the others have all been fantastic so I’m betting that one is too.

Another fun feature I discovered last night (I tend not to read the manual on something like a vacuum cleaner) is the foot lever for retracting the cord.