I need some advice please: PS3, PS4 or nothing

PS+ could be worth watching. It looks like I have a bunch of the 2014 list on PC, but still worth watching.

QT3 circa 2002: “You should totally get a Dreamcast. It’s got a really great line up!”

To answer the question, I would have gotten a PS4 since you’re already far past the PS3 generation’s end. It won’t be long til the releases wind down and the library doesn’t have enough in it that you couldn’t have played on the PC before to make it worthwhile. I wouldn’t buy one just for The Last of Us personally, but I’m sure there will be enough there over time to justify the buy.

As an aside, with a son in second grade, a Nintendo Wii U would be the best option since you could play with him or as a family. It’s super fun to get everyone together on the couch for Smash, Mario Kart 8, NintendoLand, etc. The library is tailor made for family fun. We are Wii U and PC here at the TV now. The variety of games that offers can’t be beat IMO.

Crosstrainer 30 mins 10 elevation and 10 speed, then move to rowing for 15 minutes. After that, walk shakily over to your muscle training machines of choice.

edit: Damn it - who hid page 2 when I wrote the above?

Is moving my eyes and sometimes using my hands to type something consider exercise? because if the answer is yes, I am training for the Olympics

The PS3 has way more that can’t be played on PC than the PS4 is ever likely to.

I think it depends what you’re looking for. I have a nice selection of PS3 games, but I’m finding that many of them are now available on PC even if they weren’t at the time they were brand new. Valkyria Chronicles is a great example of that. When you start really looking at it though, PS4 will probably end up with just as much stuff, and for a lot of people it gets hard to go back when it comes to image quality, etc.

My PS3 died right before Christmas. I haven’t replaced it yet. The longer we go without it, the more I’m starting to realize I don’t miss it much. I didn’t think I’d feel like that, but there you go. My son has one that’s basically a Destiny box, but that’s on PS4 so again, I would have gone that way. The promise of what’s to come is greater than the library it compiled IMO. Ultimately PS3 was the “loser” last generation.

I too would have voted for None, second choice PS4, because I think you should look forward not backward.

But now that you have ordered the PS3, Demon’s Souls makes the machine worth it just by itself. The rest is gravy. I played Last of Us on PS4, and that is also an excellent game. I hate the PS3 controller in comparison to PS4 though, so Last of Us would have been a much inferior experience for me on that basis, but some people had no problems aiming for headshots using the PS3 sticks, so maybe you’ll be one of that lucky group.

Looking backward is still a smarter choice at this point, because looking forward to where the games will eventually exist on the PS4 is a lot less fun than playing games that already exist on the PS3.

The number of PS3 exclusives that have been subsequently ported to PC is…well, actually I’m pretty sure it’s just Valkyria Chronicles and some of the Pixeljunk games. The PS4 is not likely to have a significant number of exclusives (at least, that don’t come to PC - in terms of the console market it may have more) ever, because that no longer makes business sense for most AAA development, and indies are likely to be leading on PC to begin with.

I got the PS3 in the mail today and got to play 2 hours of The Last of Us. I’m not sure what my second game will be when the time comes - Demon Souls, one of the Uncharted games, The Show, who knows? If I went with Uncharted, does it make sense to start at the first one or is just playing the last one the way to go.

Uncharted games are all about story and snappy dialog. The actual gameplay isn’t the star. So it makes sense to start with the first one, IMHO.

And Demon’s Souls is amazing. So good. I watch that intro movie every time. It sets the mood so well. Well, not the Knight fighting part, just the starting part.

For a counterpoint, I thought the shooting in the original Uncharted was ridiculously sloggy and the series didn’t get playable until the second one.

I had the same problems with sloggy shooting in the second one. Shrug.

Never heard that term before. I like it! Sloggy: Description of the shooting in the Uncharted games.

Definitely start with the first Uncharted. It has great character interaction and sets up the rest of the games nicely while giving you a really fun Indiana Jones-style adventure.

Thanks. I’m glad most of the PS3 games I’m interested in are < $20, cheaper if I get them used.

Can I interest you in all the Ratchet & Clank games, or The Sly Cooper Collection (games 1-3), Ico & Shadow of the Colossus collection, and (if you can find it) Folklore?

This is pretty good advice if you don’t have a burning desire to join the console ownership club. But don’t expect the PS4 to get below $300 any time before 2017.

EDIT: Woops, should have read the whole thread before hitting the reply button. Enjoy the PS3, and do try the Ratchet & Clank games if you like 3D platformers at all.

I’m not sure. We tend to be pretty conservative as far as what type of games we let our 7 year old play. He’s played some of the Lego games and we’re OK with that. I’m not sure if we’re ready for him to take it to the next (although still tame) level of violence. Commonsensemedia.org puts the Rachet and Clank games at 10-12 year olds. They do tend to be pretty conservative, maybe more so than we need to be but I use them as a guideline, especially when I haven’t played the games.

His skill level is pretty limited too. We have played Rayman Legend and Origins together, but I don’t think he would get too far without me co-oping with him. I’ve had to help him with the Lego games at hard parts too when he was playing solo.

I am looking for a game or 2 that would be fun for him to play, I’m just not sure what. He is tired of the Lego formula after 2 of those games.

If you’re looking that carefully at what your child plays, why didn’t you even consider a Wii U?