I yam what I yam, Altman's 80s Popeye movie.

Hmm, that feels quite right, but I can’t seem to find a YouTube clip of that scene, just the punching that followed.

So that’s what it looks like when a character tries to get a musical number going and nobody else is having it.

Appreciated, I found it but HBO Max has whatever voodoo necessary to prevent a screenshot.

Omg O.C. and Stiggs can’t be streamed anywhere. What is this dystopia we are living in.

A bit of a tangent, but the world of comic strip Popeye (as opposed to cartoon/tv/movie Popeye) was an amazing place full of colorful characters and bizarre adventure that never got properly reflected on the screen. It’s ripe for relaunching under aegis of someone talented, like Patrick McHale (Over the Garden Wall.)

Sooooooooooo uhhh, today I learned there is a Popeye’s Movie theme park on the Mediterranean {carribean} tiny island of Malta. Malta. Do the cast members sing and talk with Maltese accents? Is it Maltese owned? Because I may have to file that under “humanity did what?”. It’s like a primitive tribe using the Town The Gods Built™ and the world’s weirdest IP cash grab and got to work.

Malta is in the Mediterranean, just south of Sicily. Most people there speak English (though Maltese is preferred.) I only know these things because board game reviewer Richard Ham (aka Rahdo) lived there for awhile.

I believe Malta is the “home” of the Knights Templar.

Someone hasn’t played Empire Total War. :)

Ha, I sing that song to my cat :P

The soundtrack and songs by Harry Nillson are awesome.

Yeah, and tough guys in trenchcoats over there are looking for some falcon thing.

What a totally off the wall thing to see; as far as I know, Malta is a beautiful tourist spot which now also has a site dedicated to a 40+ year-old film which disappointed a bit at the box office. Love it when people do unique stuff like that, lol. Reminds me of visiting Key West and watching a street performance of someone who trained cats, because where else would one see that?

edit - for the curious, apparently he’s still doing his thing

Not sure if you’re joking, but maybe you’re thinking of the Knights Hospitaller, who were headquartered in Malta for a couple of hundred years. The freemasons have both an Order of Malta and an Order of the Temple, but although the two orders are often mentioned together in this way as far as I know there’s no connection between them (other than possibly rivalry in both being interested in conquering the holy land).

Well, the whole Knights Templar thing is kinda mythological. Heavily tied to Freemasonry, etc. Piling up the bucks, pissing Philip off, getting burned at the stake, etc. To quote the Wiki:

Freemasonry has incorporated the symbols and rituals of several medieval military orders in a number of Masonic bodies since at least the 18th century.[6] This can be seen in the “Red Cross of Constantine,” inspired by the Military Constantinian Order; the “Order of Malta,” inspired by the Knights Hospitaller; and the “Order of the Temple”, inspired by the Knights Templar. The Orders of Malta and the Temple feature prominently in the York Rite. One theory on the origin of Freemasonry claims direct descent from the historical Knights Templar through its final fourteenth-century members who were thought to have taken refuge in Scotland and aided Robert the Bruce in his victory at Bannockburn. This theory is usually rejected by both Masonic authorities[112] and historians due to lack of evidence.

So yeah, I was sorta eliding things a bit for fun.

Next you’ll be telling me the Assassins and Abstergo aren’t real.

Hashashin!

Not since college, man.

To be super-clear, it’s not a random theme park based on the movie - it’s the actual set from Altman’s movie, which filmed there.

(Man, they must have built that set to last.)

Apparently there were, indeed, a lot of drugs involved in the making of Popeye.