If You Could Strike One Song from Existence, What Would it Be?

I’m voting for Copa Cabana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwjdGSqO0k

I listened to worse… not sure about the lyrics.

Instead of reading this thread, I should really start drilling some holes in my monitor.

Reading through the thread, I was surprised it took 86 posts for someone to mention “Life Is A Highway.” The original version of that song is the worst commercially-produced recording I’ve ever heard.

Thanks.

I just noticed this thread, and am depressingly suprised that the vast majority of those mentioned are mostly songs I actually enjoy, and some very much. Realizing that of course these song choices “to be stricken” are personal and extremely subjective, I have succeeded in dissuading myself from berating anyone on their choices, but this has made me want to start trying to come with some choices of my own. …And… I cannot. It’s just too personal for each individual. Maybe I’ve just glanced over them somehow, but if there aren’t any other criteria than “I don’t like it” (Note the exclusion of “old man yelling at cloud” pic), ok. If there are any actual reasons for the dislike/hate, I’d love to hear them. As a professional musician for over 40 years, I completely understand hating MANY particular songs for a multitude of reasons, so “reasons for hating song X” is not new, but might be interesting.

I probably wouldn’t strike any song, now.

This thread was written a long, long time ago.

I couldn’t decide on just one song. There’s a bunch I’d like to erase fron existence, mostly 80s hair metal, maybe some 90s pop, definitely something from the bands Bush, Kiss, maybe Oasis’ entire discography (not because it’s bad but because they were so full of themselves).

Definitely a few songs from some of my favorite artists like every Genesis album post-Duke, the last few U2 albums. Ack, I can’t play this game.

Nevermind, I got it. The Macarena Song.

Alanis Morrissette’s cover of “My Humps.”

Suzanne Vega’s Tom’s Diner.

That song has been the absolute bane of my existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I love Supertramp. I think Crime of the Century is one of the best albums ever made. I think the song “Dreamer” is a steaming pile of shit that makes my ears bleed.

Oh, man - Long Way Home is basically one of the anthems of my life. But…

. . . Yeah, can’t deny that one bit.

If I could strike the source of so many wretched songs, I would erase Coldplay from existence.

Many, many, years ago i worked a lot of odd jobs. At one point, i found it…useful…to hire on as a temp in light industrial/factory places. Some of the more…distressing…stories I have come from this time. Going into a place, working in a figurative hell for 8 hrs and never going back. But one of the gigs was actually pretty sweet - light factory work at a toys r’ us distribution center. Basically loading/unloading skids off trucks. Being young, and not terribly skilled, it was all either by hand or with pallet-jacks, but it was easy enough work. They even provided some music that they’d blast over the warehouse speakers: i get the feeling it was a 60 minute tape (30 minutes a side), that they’d just put on and forget about as it played each side again and again. Whoever put that together was a fan of Harrison, because they put it once on the one side, and twice on the other. So 3 times an hour it would come on. Hearing it, you knew you would hear it again in 20 minutes or less. Thankfully, the shifts tended to be short (after 5 hours they’d have to give you a lunch break), but in time, the exposure to the song took hold. 5 hours, 15 times today. Another 15 times tomorrow. Another 15 times the day after that. 15 times a day, every day, until you just wanted to find out where the fucking tape player was and destroy that tape forever. I don’t even think i remember any other songs…just that one. Shit, for all I know it’s still playing in that warehouse to this day. Maybe there was no tape. No song. Maybe it’s just a fucking bad place where evil happens. That’s my story, now i need a drink.

oh, i’ll add in one other tidbit:because it was playing on the PA speaker system, i think it defaulted to the PA level volume - which was designed to be heard anywhere on the floor, even if a loud forklift was moving past you, or a truck was backing in with it’s reverse beeping going on.

This is a future Black Mirror episode