IGN aquires Humble Bundle

This shall certainly be a good thing. Right?

Discussed here: Humble Bundles are now awesome again

Oops, sorry.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED

Apology retracted.

Is this a topic deserving of its own thread?

Et tu, Veloxi?

I vote we stone him to death. EVEN THAT IS TOO GOOD FOR THE LIKES OF HIM

I feel like this story could be its own thread, but will just end up becoming the thread where we discuss humble bundles instead.

If it’s owned by IGN it can no longer be called “indie”. This may have consequences down the line.

That was my thought as well.

The term Indie seems so muddled right now I don’t see why. If one thinks that Indie means without a publisher backing them then it’s still valid, as IGN isn’t technically a game publisher (no more than Humble Bundle was trying to be at least).

What?

Well, that escalated quickly (albeit not in a necessarily bad way)

Humble has been publishing their own indie games for a while now. One is included each month with the Humble Monthly Bundle. Looks like that was a trial run for stepping into the indie publishing space in a larger way.

It makes perfect sense. Take IGN’s cash infusion, put it towards building a brand as an indie publisher, and anyone who publishes with you does so with the explicit understanding that their games will, sooner or later, be a featured inclusion in bundles down the road. Since Humble and Valve seem to have a good relationship it could even be a way for indie developers to avoid the hassle of Greenlight/Early Access and instead use the Humble umbrella to release direct to Steam.

Right. That was my point. @KallDrexx said Humble Bundle wasn’t a publisher. I’m pointing out that they’ve been doing it for a while.

They may not be big-name titles or hit sellers, but they do publish games. Hat in Time is probably their biggest success to date.

That’s okay, it hasn’t really been “humble” either since the first bundle they made a million dollars or whatever.

I’d love to see an Arrogant Bundle show up, sometime. I’d laugh my ass off.

Sorry, my bad, I didn’t realize your post was in reply to someone else. I read it as “What? Humble is a publisher now?!”. Comprehension failure on my part. =)

To be honest, I have mixed feelings. I’ve always liked Humble Bundle, and I am happy to see them stepping out into publishing in an effort to bring more indie games to market. I wish them nothing but success. I just also wish IGN wasn’t attached to this in any way, shape or form, because ugh, IGN.

It’s humble in the sense that people use when they give speeches - you know, “I’m humbled by the massive success and the attention being poured on me because of it.”