Illuminated / Backlit Keyboards - Advice Wanted

My son wants an illuminated (backlit) keyboard for his PC, preferrably in blue since his tricked out case LEDs are all blue. I’ve been scouring the web for such keyboards, and there are many choices and price ranges.

I really don’t want to spend $75-$100+ on some crazy “gaming” keyboard. I’d rather spend $50 or less and get something that resembles a standard keyboard or multi-media keyboard with blue backlighting.

This Saitek one on Amazon seems to fit the bill: http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PZ30AU-Eclipse-Keyboard/dp/B0007TJ7TE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256315091&sr=1-2

My questions:

#1) Anyone own this and care to comment on it? How is the backlighting, decent or dim? How is the keyboard in terms of ease of use and function?

#2) Anyone got an alternative they like that is under $50?

Thanks!

i had one, was fine just didn’t work in trackmania games since it detects as multiple usb devices. only works if you disable one of the usb hid devices in device adapter.

this is an old model so should be cheaper (i see that it is, at that link) although the eclipse IS a gaming keyboard.

I use the Microsoft Reclusa, which is a real workhorse, considering the awful things I do to it.

I’m using a Saitek right now and the backlighting is, honestly, kind of hard to notice. I guess if the room was pitch black it would mean something but in general use you won’t see it much.

In terms of use and function, I LOVE these Saitek keyboards. Good solid feel for typing.

The Logitech Illuminated one is the one I use currently.

This one?:

Bought a few for the family awhile back and they all love it. The only reason I don’t use it myself is because for obvious reasons it’s not wireless.

I use the Saitek one, and like it a lot. It has just the right level of backlighting for me. Enough to make the keys easy to see when the room lights are out, but not enough to be annoying (especially with the color set to red). I also like the key action quite a bit, but that’s more of a subjective thing. I think you should always try out keyboards in a store before you buy to see if the key action is to your liking.

Last week I started using the Logitech rei and Gendal are talking about, and I’m very happy with it. Three different backlight intensities (including off, naturally) and very easy to use.

For those who own the Saitek and Logitek (non-gaming) keyboards, are the keys “quiet” (i.e. they can have a tactile click, but not be clunky noisy when you type)?

Slainte

The Saitek isn’t silent but it certainly doesn’t have a “clack”. It feels great though.

I would venture a guess that the the Logitech Illuminated sits somewhere in the “stealthy” part of the keyboard noisiness spectrum. No actual sharp click, per se, but there is a soft sound. And it feels good to the touch.

Caveat: My previous keyboards were mostly Logitech Internet models (all noisier) and the cheapies that ship with new PCs.

He’s got one of those “cheapies” now, so any improvement over the CLACK! will be noticeable. Given the reviews on the site, the comments here and the price ($35 with free shipping) I think we’ll try the Saitek model. I’ll let him be the guinea pig, then get one for myself later if he ends up liking it. =)

Thanks guys!

Now, for Christmas perhaps a Microsoft Habu mouse?

I have the Eclipse in red, and I quite like it. Typing action is decent, the backlighting is neither too bright nor too dull, and it’s fairly compact.

I own that keyboard. The backlighting has two brightness settings. The most dim setting is…pretty dim, the higher setting is good. It’s not going to light up the room or anything, though. If there’s enough ambient light in the room the backlighting is practically useless, but if you’re using it in a room with all the lights off you’ll be able to see which keys are which. I wouldn’t complain if the backlighting were a little brighter, but whatever.

The keyboard has a great feel to it. I don’t regret the purchase at all.

You can get it for a few bucks cheaper at Newegg.

I have a saitek but I only use it at lan parties. The adjustable light levels is a nice touch. It feels good. I have no problems with it. Just for everyday use I prefer split keyboards.

The logitech is great. It’s slightly louder than the dinovo it replaced, but a hell of a lot cheaper and the only option now that I’ve gone all wired. I think it was rei that recommended it to me in the first place, and I’ve never looked back.

Even though I’ve only been using the Logitech Illuminated Ultra since October and I’m mostly happy with it, I’m glad to see some new competition in the form of the Razer BlackWidow and BlackWidow Ultimate (currently first page of engadget.com).

My only complaint about the Logitech is that the keys don’t have a high enough profile and/or are spaced a little too close together, and so are harder to distinguish by feel. I’ve pretty much adapted, but it still distracts me sometimes.

I’ll wait for the reviews but I’m already gearing up to buy the non-ultimate version and pass my Logitech Illuminated onto my daughter.

Are any of you Logitech owners (I’m assuming we’re talking about this one) fast typists? I’ve heard that model has keyblocking issues that can be problematic in gaming or fast typing situations.

I want a solid illuminated keyboard, wired or wireless doesn’t matter, I just can’t put my money on something with such an obvious design flaw.

I went with rei’s recommendation on this, and now own one for each computer. I have never had any keyblocking issues in gaming or my average-speed typing. FWIW, my wife hasn’t either, and she’s a pretty damned fast typist. I think for the money it’s hard to beat, and I appreciate that it’s relatively quiet and short distance “laptop-style” keys rather than CLACK CLACK CLACK.

I tried a variety of wired gaming keyboards including the Razer Lycosa, but much like their mice they seem to be an acquired taste. I just didn’t need ninetey percent of the features, didn’t appreciate the aesthetic, and didn’t like the feel and sound of it.

Hey LK, mind running some tests using this software?

http://uberoptions.net/logitech-keyblocking

I’m wondering if perhaps they might have re-engineered the keyblocking on that keyboard to be less horrible.