I'm creating an animation studio today

Hi everyone!

This week I made the monumental decision to follow my dreams and start a video production studio in Los Angeles (actually orange county).

The primary effort of this project will be to provide humorous, timely, bitingly critical animated satire directed toward that week’s best and most outrageous stories from anything I find interesting. To wit we won’t be mentioning Kim Kardashian ever because she’s uninteresting to me. We will be making fun of Donald Trump, champion people like Elizabeth Warren, addressing ISIS, the financial world, video games, nerdy stuff like Bojack Horseman, Star Wars, The Simpsons, etc. Whatever I like. Frankly, whatever you like. All tied up nicely in a bow of of satirical hard journalists asking hard questions of important people. Or, asking them if they wont’ come on the show and then making up their responses and impersonating them. It’s gonna get crazy! I’m expecting litigation and have a team, in place already to deal with it.

Anyway, the real cool thing I didn’t mention is that it’s going with LEGO stop-motion animation. Old School, Ray Harryhausen / Tim Burton / Harry Chesnick style animation. These things are called “Brickfilms” on the internet, a phrase that I coined when I was interviewed in 2001 by the New York Times.

Anyway, it’s pretty exciting stuff, I’m all excited, and I wanted to share. For the next year I’m devoting myself to this and we’ll see where it goes. Wish me luck please! We all need it. People are moving to LA for this and shit. It’s getting real. Hope it works!

Sorry to dump here, but I actually hiring a personal assistant today too. Does anyone know anyone who does that in Los Angeles?

EDit: I’m going to go ahead and remove the text of the Cl ad because I’ve gotten over 200 replies already and am getting about 17 a minute now. Clearly this was the wrong way to go. Removing the text to disassociate CL from this place. Whew!

]So clearly that is not going to work. Last couple of times I hired an assistant I got about a reply a day. Those were for weird companies though. This is film. How do I go about weeding these people out? Am I going to really be forced to read thousands of emails? I need to hire an assistant just to hire the assistant. It’s recursive loopdee loos of quiet desperation. Vacuum cleaner salesmen from Oregon are contacting me.

That’s awesome, ElG! Hope it works out well. When you have that YouTube channel running, direct us over there!

Good luck, man! Keep us posted on how things are going!

Dude, that sounds amazing, best of luck to you. I thought you owned a gun store, am I confusing you with somebody else? Or are you some kind of bizarre double threat (a ha ha, pun not necessarily intended)?

This sounds excellent. Best of luck, and let us know where to see this great stuff when you make it.

Good luck, ElG. Can’t wait to see the results.

Pogue, one of my businesses sells guns (my wife is selling a GE minigun to someone right now upstrairs) but we do not have a storefront. It’s all B2B. That effort will be partially funding this one (but I hope to do a Kickstarter too … and actually deliver! So you remembered kind of right. We do sell guns. Also space vehicle parts to NASA.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Since this is the first day I don’t even have an assistant yet (the first step, I’m in chaos mode now). But we do have Twitter, Youtube, and most importantly Periscope. I plan on live streaming as much as possible the process that goes into doing something like this. I see a lot of ding dongs on Periscope coaching people on how to be successul. My schtick is just watch me and maybe you’ll learn something. I’m not there to entertain, it will probably mostly be a cam in a studio somewhere.

For now, I plan on running this whole effort poolside and front my hot tub. How’s that for full circle? The Periscope will be up for thatg shit too.

Twitter: PlasticFShow
Periscope: PlasticFShow
Youtube: PlasticFShow, I think. Not quite sure how that works yet. Search for The Plastic Fantastic Show.

I figure this isn’t really promotion since I’m not asking anything of anyone. Also this is high nerd shit isn’t it. The LEGO Daily
Show. Let me know if it becomes aggrandizing.

Sounds awesome, congratulations.

Thanks Wholly!

Hey, cool, ElG. Sounds like my project for this year, SpiffyShorts, that I’ve been happily spamming QT3 with since january, that have been amusing me in my spare time between real work and family. But crude as I’ve been making them, they’re a balance of a lot of trade skills and are really time intensive to be made ‘daily’… are you already in the animation business? I’m confused by your background too. And then I’m wondering about your plan to make money, hiring as you are. My impression is youtube sensations start small between barrista shifts and grow organically, or else you have to aggressively market and throw tons of money around to get noticed quick and pretend you’re the next big thing (or so my wife tells me… she works sales at Google, and she keeps telling me I need to spend money to make money… borrring.) Or, of course, get a publisher deal.

But I’m not trying to be a debbie downer! Just really interested in how you’re hoping to play this out as a job right from the get-go, especially with such a wide scope of proposed content, but niche format. Some of the biggest successes I’ve seen like this have been to an ultra niche crowd, provided you can find them (like FlashDecknimations)

p.s. parodies are for the most part litigation-proof, unless you’re stealing music…

Best of luck! Not much advice on an assistant though you might want to check w/ a service out here instead of relying on the general masses. How much experience do you need? I can ask around a bit if you’re open to recommendations.

Damn that sounds really cool. I mean working with Lego’s and doing creative stuff versus the office life. So you started doing the stop-go stuff with Lego’s way back in 2001?

BTW, do you have a mini gun to spare or perhaps a flame thrower to gently solve neighborly disputes?

This sounds really cool. Good luck with it and post once the first short is available!

Good luck ElG! Subscribed to the YT page already!

Best of luck man. Make sure to let us know when the episodes are rollin.

Neat-O!!! Good Luck man!

I’m a smart guy. Can I be your assistant? LA sounds like fun :P

Morituri te salutant.

Best wishes (ignore the humor) - just had a friend launch his kickstarter for his animation company in Santa Monica.

Oh really? What’s it called? Maybe we should meet and discuss his strategy. Sounds like a peer.