I'm getting a house!

Who’s the kid in the top window?

Congrats on the house - Looks good!

Step 1 - unpack Everything - buy nothing new until everything you bought from your apartment is out of the boxes and in its new place.

He doesn’t want advice, he wants everyone to validate his decision. If he wanted advice he should have posted the details before pulling the trigger.

Maybe he just wants to brag about one of the biggest steps one takes in life next to getting married or having kids or whatever.

I know I sure as shit would’ve posted a similar thread if I was hanging around here when I bought my house.

Sell it, guy to the left looks like a prick! J/K!

Congrats bro! I’ve bought 5 homes in my adult life and I’m still nervous each time before I sign. My real estate agent always brings champagne to the closing, but she knows I hate the stuff. But there is nothing like home ownership! Welcome to the American dream!

Man you fucking suck.

Perhaps he’s just sharing something big happening in his life and being gratefull for the homeownership advice coming his way.
Telling him he’s a moron for buying in the first place doesn’t do either.

If somebody post a “look at my baby”-thread are you going to point out that the kid is ugly* and it’s a financial bad time to have kids?
I for one will be cheering when you finally makes Alberts graph for your constant trolling.

(by the way Xpav, I think your house is ugly… nah, it’s just an American style of faux old fashioned that I don’t care for. I’d love to see interior shots and it’s probaby three times the size of mine)

That’s a great looking place, Pav. Good deal!

Like, right out front you could set up a place to park your Magrider and absolutely destroy the Vanu

Very sharp looking house. I like the beige crosses up on each of the peaks, gives it a little style.

He’s just upset because Macs still suck.

What kind of trees are those? You should research them and make sure you don’t want to change them out. I’ve had Bradford Pears in my yard, for example, and they suck because they fall down a lot or lose branches, etc.

I just noticed.
It looks like a bad neighbourhood - there’s allready grafitti on your bay window.

Advice on owning a home is always interesting. When we bought our house a few years ago, I had no idea what I was in for. Of course, ours is over 100 years old now so it’s a different ball of wax, but you’d be surprised how quickly you learn things like plumbing and the such.

It’s definitely cool to own a house, but it comes with some serious consequences. Things to consider that some people do not are to make sure outside of your house is taken care of as much as the inside. Make sure to keep your gutters relatively clean to avoid any issues from water overflow. It doesn’t really look like it, but if you have drains that empty into the ground, make sure that stays clear as well or you end up with a lot of pooling water.

Midnight Son, come on man.

First, buying a house, ESPECIALLY for a first time buyer, in cash, is a terrible decision. You don’t want that much of your life savings tied up in one asset, not a very liquid one at that. A house should be only one of your assets (albeit for most people a large one). Talk to any investment advisor and they will tell you the same thing. Only the very wealthy should buy houses with cash because it’s a more reasonable, balanced part of their holdings.

Second, what makes you think buying a house while there is still some downturn is a bad thing? Buying a house is a long term investment. When you rent you are just throwing your money away. When you buy a house at least you buy some principle every month. Albeit a lot of that is interest, some is principle. The interest, incidentally, is a huge deduction for homeowners, as I’m sure you know. You can also, in the long term, almost be sure your house will appreciate if you buy in the right neighborhood, keep the neighborhood in good order though participation in the community, etc. Sure the housing market is in a slump right now but this actually worked in XPav’s favor. He wasn’t selling his existing home, he was moving from a rental.

Last, buying a home IS a financial decision, but not totally one. Having a kid is a financial decision, but not only one. Turning dreams like home ownership, getting married, or having kids into simple financial ROIs is rather … depressing.

Good job, Xpav, enjoy! Now get used to Lowes or Home Depot, because you will live there for the next few months. It’s fun!

Incidentally, the slope of your yard away from your house and into the street is awesome. Good drainage! As McMaster said, drainage is important.

Absolutely. I live on top of a hill, one of my fellow writers live five miles away in this neighbourhood:

They just recently moved back in after a year of remodelling.

First, buying a house, ESPECIALLY for a first time buyer, in cash, is a terrible decision. You don’t want that much of your life savings tied up in one asset, not a very liquid one at that. A house should be only one of your assets (albeit for most people a large one). Talk to any investment advisor and they will tell you the same thing. Only the very wealthy should buy houses with cash because it’s a more reasonable, balanced part of their holdings.

Disagree entirely. Owning your home means freeing up your income to do other things besides sending tens of thousands of dollars of interest to the bank (aka lighting it on fire).

This pool…you’re doing it wrong.

Around these parts, on an average two person salary, you’d have to save for about ten to fifteen years to buy an average have cash…

Around these parts, on an average two person salary, you’d have to save for about ten to fifteen years to buy an average have cash…

That’s probably true for crazy markets. If you live somewhere reasonable, it’s still a good plan.

What I mean by that is that around here you can get a nice 1,400 square foot townhouse for around $150,000. If you can put away $30,000 a year, that’s 5 years of saving and you’ve got a cash house. Then you can start working on the next one.

Or you can take out a reasonable loan that one can afford and not spent two years living in a tiny apartment like paupers while trying to save up cash for a house. You know, like a normal person who isn’t EpicBoy and deathly afraid of debt would do ;-)

While a mortgage is certainly reasonable debt to assume, I would never, EVER mock anyone for wanting to stay debt free. I applaud such a goal.