Immigration in the US

Is that weird? Even Facebook knows that sort of thing now.

My theory is one of his idiots said the overtly misogynistic “Never trust anything that…” joke and Trump responded, “We have to look into that.”

Video’s up.

This is sick

These are crimes against humanity. People should be spending their lives in prison because of this.

I agree, but we didn’t even prosecute officials who kidnapped people, then tortured them, then killed some, then destroyed the evidence, then bragged about it and said we should do it again. I’m guessing we will be looking forward, not backward.

Another story about those dangerous immigrants

There’s got to be something we can do to help prevent people from being locked up indefinitely. Maybe we could build some sort of barricade between America and the unassuming people walking right into a trap at the southern border.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-immigration/us-supreme-court-gives-trump-victory-on-immigration-detention-idUSKCN1R01TF

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday endorsed the U.S. government’s authority to detain immigrants awaiting deportation anytime - potentially even years - after they have completed prison terms for criminal convictions, handing President Donald Trump a victory as he pursues hardline immigration policies.

The court ruled 5-4 along ideological lines, with its conservative justices in the majority and its liberal justices dissenting, that federal authorities could place such immigrants into indefinite detention anytime without the possibility of bail, not just immediately after they finish prison sentences.

More people in cages, this time being held in a fenced-in parking lot.

At least they have a sturdy roof over their heads

An interesting look at making Immigration work for depressed areas:

In spite of major demographic challenges facing much of the country, there are reasons for optimism. Counties with shrinking or stagnating populations still account for 11 percent of GDP – nearly equivalent to the national output of Canada. Many cities impacted by these trends still retain strong economic foundations and significant untapped potential. The Heartland Visa would provide a catalyst to places contending with demographic headwinds. Under such a program, eligible communities would “opt-in,” and visa-holders would live and work in the eligible region of their choice without being tied to a specific employer. During that time they would build social networks and put down roots in their host communities as an on-ramp towards permanent residency and full labor mobility.

NYT article:

The idea would be to create growth in the working-age population in those places, increasing the tax base and the demand for housing, and giving businesses reason to invest.

“The real power of this is that it would start to change how investors, businesses and entrepreneurs view locational decisions,” said Mr. Lettieri, the president of the group. “They would know that there is this new pipeline for talent.”

Given hostility to immigration in large segments of the country, he said, places should be able to elect whether to make visas available to immigrants as part of an economic development strategy. It would have to be a “dual opt-in” approach in which both the community decides it wants more immigration, and individual immigrants elect to move there.

Dayton is the kind of place where that approach may just have some appeal. Ms. Whaley, the mayor, said a program called “Welcome Dayton,” intended to help immigrants move to the city, has been helpful in holding the population steady after a long pattern of losses.

280 down, 11.4 million left to go. I’m too lazy to do the math, but it looks like all we need are one or two more big busts like this and the problem will be solved for good.

So why isn’t ICE doing these raids in Farmlands of Iowa where Republicans run farms and depend on illegal work?

They do them from time to time in the farmlands of California, and it freaks out the farming community, which for the most part in central California voted Trump.

I’m sure it was mostly wanting to sound tough. Weak men always want to bluster and sound tough, and DJT may be the weakest man in American history.

In every story I’ve heard about this border crisis lately, they’ve said so many people came across the border last month to request asylum, it was the highest number in 10 years. Which makes me think the next question is: so 10 years ago, when the number was higher, how did we handle it then? That makes it 2009 I guess? Anyone know what we did back then?

Mission accomplished, I guess.

There is no crisis. We need more judges and more housing at the border for asylum seekers, but as you note, we’ve been here before.