Immigration in the US

Just repeating what I heard on NPR. They resisted a long time in calling it a border crisis. But with February and March’s high numbers of asylum seekers, their reporters have started saying there’s no denying that there’s a border crisis now.

I thought at least the links would get a few clickthroughs. I found it a really interesting idea.

Isn’t the nuance there a bit different though? It seems like it’s targeted at wooing immigrants who are already in the US to settle in specific parts of the country vs. dealing with the inflow/outflow of people.

I got the impression they are trying to match communities that need/want immigrants with the existing supply. It is possible that overall resistance to immigrants in the country would be lowered, if people could be assured that the immigrants aren’t coming to your neighborhood.

Although in truth a lot of the places that have the most anti-immigrant views are the places that need them the most. But there is a lot anecdotal evidence that communities that have gotten an large influx of immigrants become much more pro immigrants once they see the tangible economic benefits.

I just don’t see how the locals would be happy to have people “take their factory jobs”.

There’s already plenty of Hispanics working in slaughterhouses across the country.

The reports of I seen, mostly on PBS Newshour, definitively have some initial negative reaction to the immigrants. But if the medium size factories are going to shut down because they can’t find enough skilled welders or mechanics, or equipment operators bringing in immigrants with those skills is preferable to the locals than the whole plant shutting down. Even better if the immigrant is an entrepreneur with some capital and starts the business in the town.

The hard part mostly seems to be getting the cities to take the chance and welcome immigrants, once they do they are happy with the results.

Yeah the revitalization of the depressed areas - Dayton, OH is mentioned, and if anyone saw the Frontline story on Left Behind America, it was quite powerful.

Yeah, but that’s old news. Trump says we are full. There is no more room. So turn around, guys, and look elsewhere. It’s all elbow to elbow in here. We’re already choking on each other’s farts, we don’t need your spicy foreign versions. Fuck off. Also, too, how about some golf?

But apparently Trump is creating the crisis: by constantly talking about closing borders and building walls, he is scaring people into jumping now rather than waiting.

Our country is sick.

While I wouldn’t point to poverty as the main reason not to open borders, I don’t disagree with that position. Do you?

Is there any country, right now, that has open borders (i.e., no immigration limitations)?

I wouldn’t agree with completely open borders even as an aspirational goal, much less a potential short-term possibility.

If you want to have comprehensive social programs, then it necessitates you have some limit on immigration.

And really, no one that I’m aware of supports “open borders” where anyone can just show up whenever they want.

I agree with y’all but I don’t know that everyone who votes Democratic really understands what open borders really means. Of course, Bernie supporters are about to become experts. :D

“Open Borders” is an attack just like “Pro Abortion.” That stand doesn’t really exist, but it’s an easy way to seperate the positions. Unfortunately, we don’t yet have a simple phrase like “Pro Choice” to explain what the mainstream Democratic position actually is. And really, honestly, the stance of “everything is fine and we should keep it like it is” for immigration and asylum seekers isn’t really a workable answer, so the candidates better start coming up with plans and spelling them out clearly.

How about Comprehensive and Caring Border Policy Reform?

Probably too long. And Republicans would object to the “caring” part.

It’d be weird to make a modest proposal that we use aborted fetuses as building material for the wall, and see where Trump supporters come down on it.

Go with reclaimed/bought back firearms. More plausible.

Or at least a better immigration plan, such as: