Immigration in the US

Saw that in theaters. Only Cheech movie I’ve seen.

It is probably not unconstitutional to do. However, the US is part of a number of treaties (I believe actually the driver) including the 1951 Convention on Refugees, and the 1967 Protocol to the status of refugees.

My understanding (I spent some time but couldn’t find the actually language, UN websites suck) is refugees have the right to petition a country for asylum status. Once they set foot on US soil they are entitled to due process. So while preventing them from entering the country isn’t unconstitutional, it MAY be a violation of international law. Needless to say, this administration could give a shit about obeying international law.

Any lawyers want to help clarify?

Tin Cup?

Also, you need to watch Cheech & Chong’s Next Movie (more a series of vignettes than a movie, but there are some amazing laughs…).

More data on why Trump’s policies are criminally stupid.

Watching, Meet The Press, and Fox News Sunday, I was surprised at how many Democrats weren’t challenging the basic premise that we have a crisis in our southern border. Former, homeland secretary, Jeh Johnson was particular bad, agreeing with Mike Wallace that it was serious problem. At one point, Wallace said that leaves 10,000 folks who didn’t show up for their hearings. That correct answer to that point, is that those 10,000 folks in a country of 330 million are a drop in the bucket. That’s about 20 people for a city the side of Washington DC and surely Washington could absorb 20 refugees.

Economic anxiety

The thing I’ve never understood is that if you really believed all Mexicans were rapists, criminals, and animals, then how stupid are you to confront one and insult him?

Well they know the cops are on their side too which I guess magically summons them the men they get attacked… which of course doesn’t really happen, the attacking or the police showing up in seconds.

Godamm, these scum need to be shamed back into the holes in the ground whence they came.

But we need to keep it civil, guys.

Courtesy of LA Times:

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, testifying on Capitol Hill, provided the clearest statement to date of administration policy and confirmed what immigrant advocates have feared: The only way parents can quickly be reunited with their children is to drop their claims for asylum in the United States and agree to be deported.

Legal minds, what happens when the government fails to comply (because of inability or unwillingness)? They hold them in contempt or something?

Pretty much nothing, because they will appeal and it’ll go up to the Supreme Court, which has pretty much decided that the President has very broad authority over immigration.

Probably, but at the same time illegals do have due process rights, so it’s a lot more of a grey area in that regard.

I’d think the government could be help in contempt. I’d be surprised if the case was’t upheld by the 9th circuit. By the time the Supreme Court would hear it (their term ends Friday) it will almost certainly be moot.

The thing about wielding power over the powerless is that there is so much money in it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/28/624207450/former-ice-chief-counsel-facing-prison-time-for-stealing-immigrants-identities?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180628

4 years seems… too little for this.