Immigration in the US

Too true. But, then, the people he victimized lack power, so where is the money to punish this guy.

I wish it weren’t so.

Holy shit, he claimed 3 of the deported aliens as dependents on his taxes from 2014 through 2016. I thought the IRS punishes people. I guess they only punish the little people.

I feel like if you work for the government and you then do crimes against the government all punishments should be x5 or x10. It’s just… worse. Kind of like when a cop turns criminal, or a banker steels from customers. A certain level of trust was given and violated.

Those scenarios seem to involve weaker penalties.

I agree. It’s like when people prey on the bank accounts of older people. The New Yorker had an article last year about a company that tricked older people to come live at their retirement communities, then got power of attorney and sucked up all their assets.

I haven’t believed in ghosts since I was a kid, but these people are vampires. The Nosferatu types. Evil, abhorrent, monstrous.

Isn’t there an elderly abuse law that usually goes with these cases that makes it worse.

Better Call Saul is not an instruction manual.

Tsk, tsk. Liberals wouldn’t serve Sarah Sanders a salad, and that is what is unraveling our great Republic.

I know it’s a minor point, but it deserves to be said again. The manager actually did have her table served. Then comped the meal. Then pulled her aside and said the effect of, “your business isn’t welcome here, please don’t return.”

In other words, they handled it extremely well as far as 86’ing a customer goes. A comped meal, breaking the news away from the table in private, etc. Then, Sara tweets it out on her official account. They keep changing the narrative of it to her being mistreated or kicked out in a way that implies something so much more sinister.

Wow, I didn’t know that.
I mean, I don’t care what MAGA chuds think, say or do but the national media lost their shit over that?

More info from here:

Several Red Hen employees are gay, she said. They knew Sanders had defended Trump’s desire to bar transgender people from the military. This month, they had all watched her evade questions and defend a Trump policy that caused migrant children to be separated from their parents.

“Tell me what you want me to do. I can ask her to leave,” Wilkinson told her staff, she said. “They said ‘yes.’ ”

It was important to Wilkinson, she said, that Sanders had already been served — that her staff had not simply refused her on sight. And it was important to her that Sanders was a public official, not just a customer with whom she disagreed, many of whom were included in her regular clientele.

All the same, she was tense as she walked up to the press secretary’s chair.

“I said, ‘I’m the owner,’ ” she recalled, ” ‘I’d like you to come out to the patio with me for a word.’ ”

They stepped outside, into another small enclosure, but at least out of the crowded restaurant.

“I was babbling a little, but I got my point across in a polite and direct fashion,” Wilkinson said. “I explained that the restaurant has certain standards that I feel it has to uphold, such as honesty, and compassion, and cooperation.

“I said, ‘I’d like to ask you to leave.’ ”

Sanders’s response was immediate, Wilkinson said: “ ‘That’s fine. I’ll go.’ ”

Sanders went back to the table, picked up her things and walked out. The others at her table had been welcome to stay, Wilkinson said. But they didn’t, so the servers cleared away the cheese plates and glasses.

“They offered to pay,” Wilkinson said. “I said, ‘No. It’s on the house.’ ”

A little different than the black vet who had his meal yanked away on veteran’s day because some white guy was convinced black people never participated in any of our most sacred wars. I don’t recall that incident making any waves on the right wing circles, and they supposedly love the military!

Not quite - the table had been served the appetizer course when the owner pulled Sanders aside and politely asked her to leave (saying the rest of the table could stay.) They all decided to leave. The owner comped the meal. Full details here.

They should have just done disgusting things to her food.

As Colbert pointed out, free appies for Trumpets!

On bad nights I take comfort in the fact that hundreds of restaurant employees in less scrupulously polite restaurants almost surely have.

I don’t. No more eating out for me.

The Trump administration has separated almost twice as many kids from their parents as the media has been reporting.

The government was separating migrant parents from their kids for months prior to the official introduction of zero tolerance, running what a U.S. official called a “pilot program” for widespread prosecutions in Texas, but apparently did not create a clear system for parents to track or reunite with their kids.

Officials have said that at least 2,342 children were separated from their parents after being apprehended crossing the border unlawfully since May 5, when the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy towards migrants went into effect.

But numbers provided to NBC News by the Department of Homeland Security show that another 1,768 were separated from their parents between October 2016 and February 2018, bringing the total number of separated kids to more than 4,100.

This is SO FUCKED UP. How can you take kids away from their parents without AT MINIMUM having a rock solid system for eventually reuniting them??