Immortals Fenyx Rising - Assassin's Cartoon of The Wild

I’m going to need someone who played the demo to verify that this game is good. I just found it to be terrible. So maybe the people loving it now just have different taste, or was the demo just terrible?

I dont know what it means that it wasn’t a good game in Oktober? I just know this is great and one of those games that, so far, I want to jump back into since I cant right now!

This feels like one I shouldn’t get on Switch, given the abysmal looking graphical performance there. On the other hand, on PC, I suspect it would be gorgeous.

Not until I finish or give up on Breath of the Wild, though.

Hmmm, I may need to stop playing Valhalla and play this for the rest of my UPlay+ subscription.

Okay, its fairly crazy how much they copied the opening of Breath of the Wild…as in, holy cow is this legal? I am still digging it quite a bit - 2 hours in or so, and completed the prologue i the best of Ubisoft style. Its a total ripoff of BotW, but with some ubisoft additions, and some nicer graphics.

There’s a lot of puzzles and small dungeons which are not unlike Shrines I guess. Combat is fairly simple so far, but there seems to be room for a lot of different items, weapons and gear to experiment and use.

I see that it’s rated T for Teen… curious if it might be a good choice for my 17 and 11 year-old daughters. They love Breath of the Wild so they asked Santa for Hyrule Warriors and of course Santa will be getting it for them but Santa has a hunch they’ll find it disappointing. Any chance Fenyx would appeal to them? I can tell the violence is cartoony but is the humor appropriate?

I don’t think Nintendo minds, they’re promoting this game quite a bit for the Switch. Hell, they even sent me an email this morning instructing me to buy the game, or else.

The humor is fine for kids - its actually pretty funny so far, sometimes in an eyerolling dad-joke kinda way, but still, its a good effort, and I really enjoy the storytelling in it.

The combat isn’t violent - very cartoony, and its clearly evil cartoony beings you are hitting.
I’d say BotW is worse as in the creatures there look more “real”.

Ah, okay - its just…kinda interesting just how much was copied.

Thanks, Raz! I think I’ll go for it. If it immediately plays a whole lot like BOTW then it’s worth a shot. (Plus I can play it!)

I feel the same way about Code Vein and Dark Souls/Bloodborne (well, one map and one boss fight so far). But I just attribute that to one Japanese developer showing off their uncompromising love of another.

It’s all good though, since BotW stole Ubisoft’s Assassin Creed Towers

From a review it looked like exploration was just following the icons in typical Ubi style. Is there a way to play it more like Breath of the Wild where you discover things a bit more naturally?

So if I hated Breath of the Wild–with its non-sensical mythology, breakable gear, potion mixing, stamina meters, and temple-puzzles–how likely am I to like this?

It an insanely big world - but so far, most interesting places can be seen from afar. I don’t really look at the icons myself, and tons of stuff arent on the compass unless you specifically add it through a search mode.

No breakable gear, and the mythology is greek in friendly bright colors. I didn’t click with BotW, but this I did immediately. There does seem to be potion mixing sometime, and there are puzzles, but…so far they have been fun. I didn’t enjoy the shrines in BotW.

I wouldn’t say ‘stole’… :)

Obviously there’s an influence there but the Breath of the Wild ones work differently.

Ubi Towers are where you go when you want to fill in the surrounding map with all the icons so you don’t have to explore.

Sheikah Towers only fill in the landscape itself, and act as a vantage point to look for interesting things. Much more focused on exploration rather than icon hunting.

Again, other than the main quest, there aren’t any icons unless you discover something or add it through magic search mode.

Oh yea that reminds me, BotW stole Skyrim too.

Haha, not the worst thing to steal :-D

Sorry, I’m talking about traditional Ubi towers that BotW stole, not the new game that this thread is about which I haven’t played yet… :)

Haha ok so I missed the sarcasm/facetious tone ealier! :)

Damnit, now I might have to buy this game. :) Thanks for the notes!

That’s the default state of the game. The icons are only there if you tag them by going into Farsight mode, searching for the glints, honing the positioning, and holding down the right trigger. You can fill the map with icons if you like, but it takes an active effort. I suspect you’d do just as well wandering around and letting the environmental and level design draw you to different places.

It’s one of the best open worlds Ubisoft has ever made, and if there’s one thing Ubisoft knows, it’s open worlds. I played very little Breath of the Wild – it was NOT for me – but I’m going to be playing a ton of this. It’s everything Breath of the Wild tried to do, but with a more meaningful gameplay structure instead of a laid-back, “hey, it’s all good, man…” Nintendo vibe.

-Tom