Impeachment II: Electorate Boogaloo

What timezone is this? EST?

I feel like that’s a shtick that worked pretty well for him once or even a few times, but is now at the point of diminishing returns.

I like how Reschensthaler (R-PA) is wearing a thoroughly useless mask, one that is so loose it can have no effect other than to register malicious compliance with the rules.

You can’t argue with the science.

Dan Bishop (R-NC) offers the Johnson impeachment example, apparently is worried that, in 50 years, SCOTUS might decide insurrection isn’t a crime.

So you can’t impeach someone quickly becomes you can’t ever impeach anyone.

(Never mind that the impeachment power requires no crime whatsoever, and is a political power of the House, not a criminal proceeding.)

The Republicans have apparently run out of members that bothered to show up, so they keep reserving their time.

Oooh, I’m gonna run the numbers on how likely this is. Sounds like a fun probability exercise.

Science and history factoid of the day:

The origin of “sunspot theories” - in the literal sense, blaming various events on sunspots, in the figurative sense, tracing events to things that have no clear causative connection - goes back to 1816, “the year without a summer,” when people were trying to figure out why the weather had unexpectedly turned so cold.

Some scientists, seeing that the number of observed sunspots was at an all-time low, blamed sunspots for the abrupt cooling. SPOILERS: They were wrong. It wasn’t sunspots, it was the eruption of Mount Tambora ejecting 1.4×10^14 kg of volcanic ash into the atmosphere. It just so happened this occured during the Dalton minimum of sunspots.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled impeachment.

So clearly a lack of sunspots causes volcanoes to erupt.

So much for a bipartisan impeachment. The Repubs are all lining up behind Trump and insurrection.

This motherfucker speaking now keeps quoting Alan Dershiwitz, known pedophile, to defend Trump.

Are we supposed to buckle up for this? Someone needs to know.

My guess is you can remain unbuckled.

Well I think it was expected the majority of them weren’t going to go for it. But we do have multiple Republicans on record publicly supporting it which is going to help, politically. It’s much harder to frame it as a partisan witch hunt when you have sitting Republican congresspeople calling for his impeachment.

We’re going to need a new Venn diagram.

The Venn diagram is goatse with Trump in the middle.

Wow :o

The 2-hour debate rule passed, so there will be two hours of debate followed by the impeachment vote. The rule vote was party-line (208 Rs voted Nay), but 8 Rs (and 1 D) didn’t vote. Votes were allowed by proxy, so not sure why those nine didn’t vote.

because they don’t want to be on record, that’s why.

I managed to listen to almost a minute of Jordan’s speech before I had to turn it off. What a parade of lies.