Imperator: Rome

I meant focus on developing the province to increase the pop types(integrated culture and freeman+, I think?) that contribute to army size. The size of your legion is limited by that. Since you can only have one legion with the royal guard and you have a penalty to levy size with it, you want to get that legion big enough to carry you in wars. At least that’s my understanding of the system, I haven’t found the numbers behind it to be very transparent at all.

Or if you want to game the system, you’d switch back to a levy focus and go for the inventions to get your starting experience up to 100%. Then all of your levies spawn with 100% experience, which means they’ll perform better than your legions that get stuck at a lower experience level due to decay. It’s a really dumb design issue with the new system that I hope they solve sooner than later.

This is very much true. It feels like they had the rest of the update ready to go and decided the UI rework was good enough despite actually needing a month or two more worth of iterating.