Imperator: Rome

Kevin - you’re always such a gem helping people with Paradox grand strategy games. :)

Just how much better is Imperator in these areas? Is performance also much better? This is the first time I’ve been curious about the newer title!

Hmmm, I’ve haven’t had performance slowdowns with Imperator, now that I think of it. I don’t know if that’s due to the nature of the game or of I just haven’t played late enough for it to show, though, so don’t take that as evidence performance is meaningfully better across the board. Imperator does have the Jomini layer on top of the engine which is supposed to make the life of modders significantly better but with Imperator’s rocky launch we haven’t really had a chance to see what that means in practice yet.

What I can say is that Imperator’s map is gorgeous. It can be a little jarring to go back to EU4 (or CK2).

I’m still sort of unsold on the game, but I agree it’s improving. I still feel like I often don’t have a lot to do. But then I had been playing monarchies a few months ago, took a long break, and only just now started playing a tribe.

I do like the look of that supply/logistics update. I like the idea of tracking how much food units are carrying. I don’t know if I’ve ever had to do that in a game before, aside from the OCS board wargame series.

@KevinC, can we see the die rolls in this game?

Like during a battle? They show up on the left side of the battle display, when you click on an ongoing battle.

The map is gorgeous. You know how HOI4 improved on CK2 and EU4 by incorporating terrain features and political colours depending on zoom level? Same deal here, but the map is much prettier. Moving animations, geographical features, it’s all so good. So much nicer playing in this games terrain map mode than the political map mode in EU4 or CK2.

There are some significant advantages for performance as well. In EU4 when you click back in a menu it will literally restart the game, not so here. In imperator when you click on a country to start the game it seamlessly loads the game around it, very cool.

I’m not sure if 5-speed runs faster than EU4. I haven’t encountered any late-game slowdown which happens in Stellaris and (at least early on) with HOI4.

Looks like Imperator is getting Missions in 1.3.

That doesn’t sound all that different to EUIV to me.

From what I gather, it differs in that the missions are going to be dynamic instead of statically defined per nation like they are in EU4. I’m getting this from this part of the DD.

In EU4, France might have a mission branch to conquer a region and do something with it. If you were playing Aragon, you wouldn’t have access to that mission. With this implementation, if you conquer the Nile delta or a region of Gaul, I think missions blocks will appear that are tied to that area. That’s my interpretation, anyway.

Free content pack

Well you certainly cannot argue with free content additions, especially when it concerns some good ol’ Punic Wars. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!

What does the content include? Punic Ears events? An scenario?

According to the announcement on the Paradox forums, it contains the following:

The Punic Wars content pack includes:

• Roman Mission Pack: Ten unique mission trees for the star of Imperator: Rome to guide your conquest of Italy and neighboring regions.
  • Carthaginian Mission Pack: Ten unique mission trees for the children of Tyre to help you plan your mercantile and military dominance of Africa, Spain and the rest of the west.
  • Numidian Unit Model: New army model for the Numidians, North Africans often hired as mercenaries by larger powers.
  • Carthaginian Ship Model: A unique ship design for Carthaginian navies.
  • New Music: Three additional music tracks to soothe your conquering soul.

Green Man Gaming has Imperator for 41% off this weekend, so I bought it.

Installing now , then dinner plans. So what’s a good country to start off playing?. I’m likely to have had a few classes of wine…

I can’t tell you yet, but, from the wiki,

Macedon or Carthage are probably the best places to start, rather than Rome. Rome’s Republic brings with it more mechanics that might be better suited for a second game. As Macedon you should get some interesting events with the succession war stuff, and there are clear early-game and mid-game targets to go after.

Thanks.

Man the tutorial needs some work. There is a lot it doesn’t tell you like for instance. It tells you to build 8 training camps, but it doesn’t tell you that you can’t build training camps in settlement only cities, and you only have 7 cities so you have to build or conquer another one. Doesn’t tell you how to build a city and the tool tips don’t tell you what the downsides are for having cities vs settlements.

It tells you go conquer somebody but no directions on what that means. I had to restart the tutorial because I went broke. It sounds like I need to curl with the Wikipedia. I’ll tell you if this was my 1st or 2nd Paradox game instead of my probably 10th I’d have raged quit.

Oh man, I didn’t even think of the tutorial. So much changed in 1.2 including the entire building system. I’m assuming the tutorial was updated for 1.2, but you never know. In any case, it worked fine but wasn’t very useful in 1.0 beyond introducing the UI.

Interesting comments from Johan regarding Imperator development. Speaking of the future of the game, he says that he does not like expansions and instead wants to focus on content packs. He says the reason for this is he wants to avoid the situation they ran into with EU4. If mechanics are tied to expansions, it makes it very difficult to keep expanding and iterating on those mechanics when that is the case. The EU4 team has realized this as well, which is why things like Development and Estates are now base game features. It sounds like what he would like to do is to keep all the new mechanics in the free updates while supporting the game with Content Packs, which would likely be events, regional flavor, things like that.

This is the interview. It was around the 13:00 mark or so.

What’s the best introduction to basic concepts of this game as of 1.2, for someone who is familiar with most of the other Paradox GS games, apart from CK2?

I got the game last night, but the hour I had to play around with it was consumed just poking around screens and trying to get a grip on things. The part I find hard is knowing what’s important, and the big-picture of how the variables fit together. I guess I could go through all the DD’s, but I’m hoping for something a bit shorter and focusing on the state as of the new patch.